SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodsgranny

cursor

WOODSGRANNY
15 years ago

why does my cursor "freeze"? i tried to update drivers,any suggestions?

patricia

Comments (52)

• zep516
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You tried to up date the driver because the cursor was freezing? I thought you updated first then it started freezing. Did the freezing just start today?

I also think you have enough ram for what you are doing but you do have the minimum amount required.

What is the make & model #

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zep,i have a dell dimension 2400 512 ram,does that sound right? it's been freezing ,came on slow and getting worse.i went to something and uupdated driver,helprd vry little...what next? thanks,patricia

• Related Discussions

Cursor

Q

Comments (5)
    It is very unlikely a virus or other malware has anything to do with your mouse problems. Where is the receiver for your mouse? The receiver is the part that plugs into the computer. Ours justs on top of the case and sometimes it gets knocked off and that causes the mouse to act erratically. A slight repositioning can also help. Beyond that, are you sure the batteries are good?
    ...See More

I cleaned my mouse while I was online & now my cursor is frozen..

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks to each of you for responding! I had a computer tech come to my house & he said that the new mouse I bought did need some software installation (altho the box said it did not). He did that for me & I was right back in business. He also went through my installations & deleted some old & unnecessary ones & my computer is faster now. $37.50 & worth every penny to me! Thnx again...
    ...See More

Cursor home on start up of Firefox

Q

Comments (6)
    raven... thanks your continued help with links I should have looked for myself. That said, I do like "looking" on this forum due to the many helpful leaders. On first looking at the link you provided I'd concur that it is the same question/problem. But, it seems to get get complicated quickly. At first try I thought switching off the Firefox "caret browsing" would be my fix. It is not, but at least I know "F7" is how we turn it on and off. I sometimes push "F7" when I want to activate spell check, but it on automatically (or by my choice). I think F7 is the trigger for Outlook spell check on email. The point, if I have one, is I hit F7 a few times when in Firefox and may have done some switching of the caret.
    ...See More

Keyboard letter is stuck (locked)? & cursor jumps while typing

Q

Comments (7)
    found this info on other forums about a Dell latitude I will list all of the various ways that I saw; you can go to Control Panel > Mouse and select the Dell Touchpad tab. There should be a Device Select icon which will give you the option to turn off the touchpad and/or touchpad buttons. Alternatively, for those who want to turn off the pointing stick and/or pointing stick buttons, there are also options to disable or enable those. *Start-->Settings--Control Panel double-click mouse and there's an option there to disable the touchpad *"For all of you having trouble enabling or disabling the touchpad: Turn on or off the Fast Initialization button under hardware properties for the Touchpad. Fast Initialization = On, then reboot, you are now able to turn the touchpad On or Off from Mouse Properties Hope this helps, it was a PITA to figure out." *Just go to control pannel and double click on 'mouse'. There should then be a tab called 'Touch pad' and click on that. There should then be an option 'Tap off when typing' enable that and your problem should be solved. It also said that if you do not find those options there then it is possible your touchpad drivers are not installed which would allow you to make the changes. "If the control panel only shows things about a "mouse", the touchpad drivers are not installed. You could try www.synaptics.com for drivers." found this on the dell site *Customizing the Touch Pad and Track Stick You can use the Mouse Properties window to disable the touch pad and track stick or adjust their settings. Open the Control Panel, and then click Mouse. For information about the Control Panel, see Windows Help and Support Center. In the Mouse Properties window: * Click the Device Select tab to disable the touch pad and track stick. * Click the Touch Pad tab to adjust touch pad and track stick settings. Click OK to save the settings and close the window. I hope out of those maybe something will work
    ...See More
  • zep516
    15 years ago

So many things can cause this problem, lets start with the simple do a disk clean up and a Defrag here's how:

Click Start - Programs - Accessories - System tools do a disk clean up, after that do a defrag,

defrag could take a while if you have not done it and it may appear to get stuck on 10% but just let it sit, if you use a screen saver you should disable it as it could interfere with defrag.

• zep516
    15 years ago

Once you have completed the above exercise and because you have 512mb of ram we want to see what programs are running at start up especially the Anti Virus program, Do you know what Anti Virus program you are using?

Then I will ask for a Hijack this log so we can see what is running this will be the best way and save time I will give you those instructions later as we move along..

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i've defraged,disk clean,ad-aware,avast and also removed temps and cookies on explorer tools. i do have a screen saver that's been on here since i've had the computer

• zep516
    15 years ago

Good where ahead of the game,

Then in the link below please download hijackthis program (save it to your desk top), then double click the hijackthis .exe on the desk top a window will open with choices please do a "System scan and save a log file, this log will then automatically open in a program called Note pad, put your mouse in there and copy the entire contents of the log then reply here and paste the log so I can see it. Do use hijackthis to do anything else...

Here is a link that might be useful: HijackThis

• zep516
    15 years ago

The last sentence above is (DO not use hijackthis to do anything else.)

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zep i did that,wish i knew how to send both to you.maybe my grandaughter will help me a little later

• zep516
    15 years ago

That's fine I only need the log that was created and it's very simple to copy it, put your mouse on top of the log or (The scan) now hold the left button on the mouse down and move the mouse down the scan at the same time everything will turn blue, when all the log is blue (right click mouse) and choose COPY. Then come back here and in the box instead of typing anything simply right click the mouse in the box you would normally type in and choose PASTE and the log will appear just as if you typed it then hit the submit button and I will be able to see it. You can fool around with it until you get help. Don't worry I'm not going anywhere and will help as much as I can.

• zep516
    15 years ago

Here is what it should look like,

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 12:12:41 AM, on 11/24/2008
    Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18241)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
    C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\distnoted.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.mris.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - (06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3) - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - (3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0) - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - (72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\GRA8E1~1.DLL
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - (761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - (DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Skytel] Skytel.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RocketDock] "C:\Program Files\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - Startup: ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk = C:\Program Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &ieSpell Options - res://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll/SPELLOPTION.HTM
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Check &Spelling - res://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll/SPELLCHECK.HTM
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Lookup on Merriam Webster - file://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\Merriam Webster.HTM
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Lookup on Wikipedia - file://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\wikipedia.HTM
    O9 - Extra button: ieSpell - (0E17D5B7-9F5D-4fee-9DF6-CA6EE38B68A8) - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ieSpell - (0E17D5B7-9F5D-4fee-9DF6-CA6EE38B68A8) - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - (1606D6F9-9D3B-4aea-A025-ED5B2FD488E7) - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ieSpell Options - (1606D6F9-9D3B-4aea-A025-ED5B2FD488E7) - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - (2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - (2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - (92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O13 - Gopher Prefix:
    O16 - DPF: (D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000) (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - (88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\GR99D3~1.DLL
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - (F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1) - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati External Event Utility - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

--
    End of file - 6801 bytes

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Scan saved at 9:43:07 AM, on 26/12/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1100830323\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\waol.exe
    C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\shellmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aolwbspd.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - (5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - (761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - (DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - (E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1100830323\ee\AOLSoftware.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dellsupportcenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P dellsupportcenter
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServicesOnce: [washindex] C:\Program Files\Washer\washidx.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [ALUAlert] C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUNotify.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [ALUAlert] C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUNotify.exe (User 'Default user')
    O9 - Extra button: Research - (92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - (AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45) - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - (CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE) - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
    O16 - DPF: (8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93) (Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0) - http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=24931
    O16 - DPF: (BB21F850-63F4-4EC9-BF9D-565BD30C9AE9) (a-squared Scanner) - http://ax.emsisoft.com/asquared.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\(12C5C676-13A0-49F9-A83B-4EA630B5E530): NameServer = 205.188.146.145
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\..\(12C5C676-13A0-49F9-A83B-4EA630B5E530): NameServer = 205.188.146.145
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
    O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
    O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
    O23 - Service: AOL Spyware Protection Service (AOLService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOL Spyware Protection\\aolserv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
    O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
    O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

--
    End of file - 5760 bytesLogfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 9:43:07 AM, on 26/12/2008

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe

O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - (5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - (761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - (E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1100830323\ee\AOLSoftware.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dellsupportcenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P dellsupportcenter
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [ALUAlert] C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUNotify.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [ALUAlert] C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUNotify.exe (User 'Default user')
    O9 - Extra button: Research - (92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - (AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45) - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - (CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE) - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
    O16 - DPF: (8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93) (Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0) - http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=24931
    O16 - DPF: (BB21F850-63F4-4EC9-BF9D-565BD30C9AE9) (a-squared Scanner) - http://ax.emsisoft.com/asquared.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\(12C5C676-13A0-49F9-A83B-4EA630B5E530): NameServer = 205.188.146.145
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\..\(12C5C676-13A0-49F9-A83B-4EA630B5E530): NameServer = 205.188.146.145
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
    O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
    O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
    O23 - Service: AOL Spyware Protection Service (AOLService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOL Spyware Protection\\aolserv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
    O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

--
    End of file - 5760 bytes

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok,grandaughter did it.i'm sure ya'll are gonna tell me to delete a bunch,all help is really appreciated.thanks again,patricia

• zep516
    15 years ago

Please run this program see if it finds anything follow the directions below and post a log please.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop. Click here
    * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    * Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
    * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
    The log can also be found here: C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

Â Copy and Paste the entire report in your next reply.
    Extra Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

• zep516
    15 years ago

Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe

Do you use dell support center? It may be slowing down the computer don't do anything with it yet.

• zep516
    15 years ago

You also have left over Norton Anti Virus files running at start up, do you know what version of Norton was installed on here?

You also appear to have 2 Anti Spyware programs running:

Service: AOL Spyware Protection Service (AOLService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOL Spyware Protection\\aolserv.exe

AND

HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

Is this the paid version?

Only one spyware program should be running I would remove Aol (Spyware program) from the add remove programs list

• zep516
    15 years ago

It's no wonder the computer is slow and freezing with all the stuff running, Dell Support, 2 Anti Virus programs, 2 left over Norton Anti Virus files and Window Washer.. + Avast and the normal stuff..

All this with 512mb of ram...

Take your time and we will work one thing at a time I'll be waiting for the Malwarebytes log, and tell me that you have removed aol spyware program.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

she will definitely need to run a Norton uninstall tool and get rid of that symantec stuff.

I see no firewall? do you have a firewall?

old java?

• zep516
    15 years ago

ravencajun

The last thing I am going to do here is install any software including a firewall and java . I am aware of the Norton problem just not sure of the version I think it could be 2004 but I want to run the correct uninstaller...for the version.. when we get there.

Thanks,

zep

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok,i'm back..how do i find norton to uninstall? i did a search and found notta.should i uninstall dell support and dell resource cd ?

• zep516
    15 years ago

Lets do norton first

Download and (save) Norton Removal Tool to your desktop. Then go back to desk top and double click it and run it, After this, please restart your computer. Click the link below please.

CLICK HERE Norton Removal Tool

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zep,i tried the link you provided.i can't finish,it ask for registration numbers(?)if you can't provide you can't finish the uninstall for norton.raven,do you have a simple one? now i'll try to provide you with the results of super anti spyware(grandaughter is gone for the night) i shall return

• zep516
    15 years ago

Try the link below for norton removal

• zep516
    15 years ago

After you remove norton do this:

To remove AOL Spyware Protection using Windows XP:
    1. Click the Start button, then click Control Panel.
    2. Click the Add or Remove Programs icon.
    3. Click AOL Uninstaller once to select it, then click the Change/Remove button.
    4. Click the AOL Spyware Protection 2.0 box to put a check mark in it, then click the Uninstall button.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.

• zep516
    15 years ago

After that we are going to remove Dell support from the add remove programs list if you do use dell support there is little sense having it running on the computer wasting ram.

• zep516
    15 years ago

I have had an expert take a look at your hijackthis log no Malware was found, once you remove the 3 things Dell support, aol spyware and Left over norton:

Please do this below:

Double click the hijackthis Icon on the Desktop, Scroll down to Open the Misc Tools section" Click it at the bottom under (System tools) click "Open Uninstall Manager" over to the right click "Save List" Save it to your Desktop so you may find it, copy and paste it in your next reply..

I know there is a lot of instruction here take your time one thing at a time I have posted a lot so you may refer to it over time as needed.

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ad-Aware SE Personal
    Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition
    Adobe Shockwave Player
    Adobe® Photoshop® Album Starter Edition 3.0
    Advanced Task Manager 4.0 for Windows Vista & Windows XP
    Advanced WindowsCare 2.57 Personal
    AOL Coach Version 1.0(Build:20030807.3)
    AOL Deskbar
    AOL Instant Messenger
    AOL Registration
    AOL Uninstaller (Choose which Products to Remove)
    ArcSoft PhotoImpression
    Audiogalaxy Satellite
    avast! Antivirus
    BCM V.92 56K Modem
    Belarc Advisor 7.2
    Broadcom Management Programs
    Canon Utilities RemoteCapture 2.7
    CCleaner (remove only)
    Click'N Design 3D
    Coupon Printer for Windows
    Dell Digital Jukebox Driver
    Dell Media Experience
    Dell ResourceCD
    exPressit S.E. 2.2
    Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer
    GTOneCare
    HijackThis 2.0.2
    Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB922981)
    Hotfix for Windows Media Format 11 SDK (KB929399)
    Hotfix for Windows Media Player 11 (KB939683)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB915865)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB926239)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB952287)
    HP Memories Disc
    HP Photo and Imaging 2.0 - All-in-One
    HP Photo and Imaging 2.0 - All-in-One Drivers
    HP Photo and Imaging 2.0 - hp psc 1200 series
    hp psc 1200 series
    Intel(R) Extreme Graphics Driver
    Intel® Create & Share® Software
    Internet Explorer Default Page
    iTunes
    Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album
    Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 Dell Edition
    Java(TM) 6 Update 10
    Java(TM) 6 Update 5
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
    Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
    Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
    Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia Standard 2004
    Microsoft Kernel-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.5
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]
    Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
    Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
    Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
    Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    Modem Helper
    MSN Music Assistant
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB925672)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
    MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579)
    Musicmatch® Jukebox
    QuickTime
    QuickTime
    RealPlayer
    Revo Uninstaller 1.75
    Rhapsody Player Engine
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB928365)
    Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB898458)
    Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB923723)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB911564)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB917734)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB936782)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB954154)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB883939)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB893756)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896358)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896422)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896424)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896428)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896688)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899587)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899588)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899591)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB900725)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB901017)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB901190)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB901214)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB902400)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB903235)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB904706)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB905414)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB905749)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB905915)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB908519)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911280)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911567)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911927)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB912812)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB912919)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB913446)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB913580)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB914388)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB914389)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB916281)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917159)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917344)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917422)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917953)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918118)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918439)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918899)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB919007)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920213)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920214)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920670)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920683)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920685)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB921398)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB921503)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB921883)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922616)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922760)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922819)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923191)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923414)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923689)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923694)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923980)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924191)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924270)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924496)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924667)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB925454)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB925486)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB925902)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB926255)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB926436)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB927779)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB927802)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB928090)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB928255)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB928843)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB929123)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB929969)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB930178)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB931768)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB932168)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB933566)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB933729)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB935839)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB935840)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB936021)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB937143)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB938127)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB938829)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB939653)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB941202)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB941568)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB941569)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB941644)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB941693)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB942615)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB943055)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB943460)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB943485)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB944338)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB944533)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB944653)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB946026)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB947864)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB948590)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB948881)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950749)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950759)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950760)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951066)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376-v2)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB953155)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB953838)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB953839)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB954211)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956390)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956391)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956803)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956841)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB957095)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB958644)
    Shockwave
    Slideshow Generator Powertoy for Windows XP
    Sonic DLA
    Sonic RecordNow!
    SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
    Symantec Network Driver Update
    Update for Windows XP (KB894391)
    Update for Windows XP (KB896727)
    Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
    Update for Windows XP (KB900485)
    Update for Windows XP (KB908531)
    Update for Windows XP (KB910437)
    Update for Windows XP (KB916595)
    Update for Windows XP (KB920872)
    Update for Windows XP (KB922582)
    Update for Windows XP (KB927891)
    Update for Windows XP (KB929338)
    Update for Windows XP (KB930916)
    Update for Windows XP (KB931836)
    Update for Windows XP (KB933360)
    Update for Windows XP (KB936357)
    Update for Windows XP (KB938828)
    Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
    Update for Windows XP (KB942840)
    Update for Windows XP (KB946627)
    Update for Windows XP (KB951072-v2)
    Viewpoint Media Player
    WebCyberCoach 3.2 Dell
    Windows Genuine Advantage v1.3.0254.0
    Windows Imaging Component
    Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
    Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
    Windows Installer Clean Up
    Windows Live Photo Gallery
    Windows Media Format 11 runtime
    Windows Media Format 11 runtime
    Windows Media Player 11
    Windows Media Player 11
    Windows Media Player Hotfix [See KB832353 for more information]
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB834707
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB867282
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB873333
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB873339
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB885250
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB885835
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB885836
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB886185
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB887472
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB887742
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB888113
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB888302
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB890047
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB890175
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB890859
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB890923
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB891781
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB893066
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB893086
    Windows XP Service Pack 2
    WordPerfect Office 11

• zep516
    15 years ago

Java(TM) 6 Update 5 Please remove this..

Real player----- remove this if you do not use it.

DO NOT UNINSTALL AOL SPYWARE YET if you already did don't worry.

Also I do not see Dell support, DO not uninstall Dell resource cd..

Let me look up removing dell support unless some else here knows the steps.

• zep516
    15 years ago

Click Start, click Programs, Do you see Dell Support there? yes/ no.

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i deleted dell support.what is real player,what does it do? do i delete java 6 and java update 5 ?

• zep516
    15 years ago

Real player is just like windows media player it plays videos. If you are not sure just leave it.

do i delete java 6 and java update 5 ? YES.

What about Norton Any luck????

Do this also:

Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune to your Desktop.

Note: Vista users must use Run As Administrator
    Under Main: Select Files to Delete choose: Select All.
    Click the Empty Selected button.
    If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords click No at the prompt.
    If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords click No at the prompt.
    Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

norton delete is done,java is done,deel support and ATF.the cursor hasn't acted up since i first ask the question,but my computer sure seems to be running faster.

• zep516
    15 years ago

Please post a fresh hijackthis log,

Close all browser windows including this one double click the hijackthis Icon on the desk top Do a system scan and save a log file copy and paste the log in your next reply.

Make sure this is a new log and not the old one..

zep516

• zep516
    15 years ago

Reboot the computer before you do the log thing please..

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zep,sorry i took so long,thought i didn't have a puter left. i ran the hijack,rebooted,had no internet connection,system restore wouldn't work,i was almost in tears.just came back in here and restarted and i'm on,i'll run the scan again and see if i can be lucky enough to paste it again.pray

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Scan saved at 7:29:24 PM, on 27/12/2008

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
    C:\HijackThis.exe

--
    End of file - 4592 bytesLogfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 7:29:24 PM, on 27/12/2008

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe

--
    End of file - 4592 bytes

• zep516
    15 years ago

The above entries are still running on the pc the removal of dell support should have taken care of this (sprtcmd.exe)

And the Norton removal should have taken care of these (ALUNotify.exe)

There still there in the log.

Click start, click run in the RUN BOX type in MSCONFIG and hit ok a window will open at the top click startup tab now look for these (ALUNotify.exe) and this one (sprtcmd.exe). If you do not see them in the startup tab please click the SERVICES TAB and look there.

When you find them in the little box next to them put you mouse in there and REMOVE THE CHECK MARK FROM THE BOX.

When you are done REBOOT the computer, a window will pop up that you may have never seen, place a CHECK MARK IN THE BOX WHERE IT SAYS "DO NOT SHOW THIS MESSAGE AGAIN"

Most of dell support is gone so that is good just that left over one. Do not do a system restore.

Post a fresh hijackthis log so we can see if the entries are gone...Make sure you have rebooted first,

Get help from Granddaughter if needed I will be in and out on Sunday checking in..

• owbist
    15 years ago

You are doing great Granny, nearly there. I love it when someone is willing to follow along to clean up their own computer.

Nice job Zep.

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zep,thank you so much.i forgot to tell ya we use a router,does it make a difference?

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Scan saved at 12:45:28 PM, on 28/12/2008

Running processes:

--
    End of file - 3511 bytes

• zep516
    15 years ago

Dell support is gone, these 2 below remain,

Norton is stubborn every time you reboot these 2 entries are reinstalling.

So lets try this lets boot the computer in safe mode here is how.

Using the F8 Method
    1. Restart your computer.
    2. When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
    3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
    4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
    5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode.

This is the task you will do, once in safe mode double click the hijachthis icon this is where it is a little different pay attention,

Do (system scan only) in other words don't save a log file do a system scan only now in the scan you are looking at place a check mark in these 2 entries BELOW only- no others

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [ALUAlert] C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUNotify.exe (User 'SYSTEM') PLACE A CHECK IN THIS ENTRY IN THE LITTLE BOX TO THE LEFT OF IT

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [ALUAlert] C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUNotify.exe (User 'Default user') AND THIS ONE PLACE A CHECK IN THIS ENTRY IN THE LITTLE BOX TO THE LEFT OF IT.

Now at the bottom of hijack this click where it says (FIXED CHECKED) now close hijackthis

NEXT LETS SEE IF THERE ARE ANY NORTON FOLDERS STILL IN SAFE MODE SEE BELOW:

Open my computer Icon in the start menu double click the LOCAL DISK, Look for Program files FOLDER in there look for any folders with the name live up date or norton or Symantec or ALUNotify.exe anything related to this, and right click and delete it in safe mode,

Reboot post a fresh log (System scan and save a log file)

We are doing all this so you do not have to go into the Windows registry

• zep516
    15 years ago

What happened to these 2 entries in you log I do not see them,??????

These entries are for AOL Connection...

Do not go fixing things with hijack unless under instruction most of what it shows is required..

• gringo50
    15 years ago

I've read and followed this thread from start to the last post. Found it very educational.
    Zep and Granny, you're doing a great job. Granny I admire your tenacity. I'm grateful that we have such knowledgeable members on the forum.

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zep.did i screw up bad?maybe that was when AOL offered the safety and security and ithought that's what it was.i did find the second one on your list,but not the first.i removed somemore also.sure hope i didn't undo what's been done.i had a 26 yr. old grandson here for a while that played on my computer,till the s..t hit the fan and he stopped.i also removed some disney and other kid stuff.ipod too..please tell me that was alright.ok,i'm gonna try again to get you my new results. thanks,patricia

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Scan saved at 3:22:12 PM, on 28/12/2008

Running processes:

--
    End of file - 3826 bytes

• zep516
    15 years ago

Congratulations, Patricia

Norton is gone, please UNINSTALL hijackthis now you will not be needing it, I see the 017 entries are back good. You're log looks like it should and the computer should be running better with no freezing, if freezing does occur you will consider adding more ram, personally I would consider adding another 512MB to give you a total of 1GIG byte this isn't absolutely necessary but will really improve the performance of the computer..

Last thing as Raven pointed out you need to install a firewall there are free ones available.

And at some point here I would upgrade to IE7 you are currently running IE6. 7 is more secure the 6.

How is the computer running?

zep

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

excellent job zep and patricia! good work, I know doing those logs can be intimidating.

For anyone following as Zep said be sure you only ever use Hijackthis with the help of someone who absolutely knows how to read the logs, it can be a dangerous program other wise.

Patricia I am proud of you!

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zep,i well know i couldn't have done a small amount of this witout your precise directions and patience with an old woman with very little knwledge in computers.thank you so much.i think i can turn my firewall back on.i've tried to download IE7 and it wouldn't work before,i'll try it again.this all stressed me,i think i'll have a nap.thaks again,patricia

• grandms
    15 years ago

I have been following this also and applaud Zep and Granny. Great job. I hope I never have to go through this.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    15 years ago

I agree 100%! Great job, Zep and great job woodsgranny for following along so well!

• WOODSGRANNY
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zeo,gringo,gramdms,pkponder,it was very nerve racking for me,but porr zep hung with me.raven,how do ya say hard headed in frenc?tete d...? i guess i' just that hardheaded,just to shoe 'em.will say i think i'm a little proud of mydelf for not giving up,although it sure was tempting.i hope it stops the IE from taking over on some AOL welcome screen titles when i try to read.got a lots of questions for later when i get my ducks in a row.
    i thank zep again w/all the knowledge and not giving up on me.dend my love and appreciation,patricia