SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biwako_of_abi

Quirkiness of Maxtor One Touch 4 External HD

biwako_of_abi
16 years ago

Warning: Watch out for System Restore, and be sure you use the Safely Disconnect Hardware feature in XP, if you want to disconnect the drive.

I wrote on another thread about trying to install programs on my husband's 300GB Maxtor external HD. The day after buying that one, we bought a 500GB Maxtor One Touch 4 for me, because I'm the one who collects all the pictures and buys a lot of music.

I have found that my Maxtor, at least, has a few quirks. After I used System Restore, in the hopes of going back to Windows Media 10, the external HD wouldn't work right. Not realizing at that point that I should use the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the sys. tray, I thought I could simply detach the USB cable. Big mistake! (Or maybe I would have had trouble anyway.)

I got a message saying I had to format the external drive--losing all my data, of course. I didn't want to do that. Reversing the Sys. Restore did exactly nothing for the drive. I thought I had ruined the drive, but after I had completely disconnected the Maxtor for several minutes and then plugged in the USB cable and adaptor again, it brought up the installation program and I was able to perform a Repair install that worked. My info was still there.

I thought my problems were over, but last night, merely changing the Maxtor's backup settings made my mouse stop working and I had to push the PC's power button to shut it down. This morning, I couldn't get at the contents of the Maxtor at all. It variously reported that there was no recognizable partition, then that there was no such device on the computer, and then that it was there, but had only one partition, which was something like 63GB in size and had no free space left. I was unable to get it to offer me the chance to do a Repair install, this time. However, fortunately, disconnecting it and waiting awhile before plugging it in again, plus restarting the computer, returned it to normal.

I sure hope the drive is not going to act up now every time I access it!

Comments (8)