SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plainjane425

Laptop Info

plainjane425
16 years ago

Hi...I'm looking to purchase, for Christmas, a Laptop computer for my husband. Something that's not expensive, or 'fancy' but will allow him to do some basic emails, online banking, and checking out woodworking websites. Also, something he can take when we go away. I'm not computer savy at all, and I'm thoroughly confused as to what I should be looking for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (30)

• zep516
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is a link with reviews of laptops, I would get something in the middle, you don't need alot of pre-loaded software, you don't need a ton of ram, you don't need a ton of hard drive space, these are all selling points that raise the price, anti virus is a selling point to, most of them now are going to have vista home basic installed, Make sure you get a disk with it with the operating system on it, or at least a recovery disk.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laptop Reviews

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Zep..thanks so much for the info..I'm going to check it out now...wish me luck!!

• Related Discussions

sharing from desktop to laptop?

Q

Comments (1)
    I would first try to just do a simple system restore to the date when everything was working and see if that will fix the problems. You do not mention which windows version is on it?? if you need the directions for a simple system restore just let us know your version of windows.
    ...See More

Shopping for a Laptop

Q

Comments (8)
    Not all are dual core.. dual core is nice. If given a choice avoid the Celeron processor,, but they are ok. Buss speed can make things peppier,, 1066 v/s 667, if given the choice go faster. I've a 6 pound toshiba 15.4 screen right now and find it rather large compaired to the 14.1 it replaced. Both have the same size keyboard. Actually both are the same weight but due to leverage the 15.4 feels heavier & obviously has more plastic and flexes slightly to save weight. The 14.1" laptop keyboard fills the width, no edge room to spare.. I assume thats probably the smallest screen with normal sized keyboards. Slower processers are cooler. Some people have laptops that are too hot for laps during the summer. And too hot sitting on their desks too and stick fan cooler pads under them. Lighter the better in my opinion. Moving it from room to room that weight isnt as important as the picking it up and setting down while on the sofa or recliner. While I enjoy the 15.4 screen,, the 14.1 was fine and much easier to handle. Faster hard drives are nice. But not a must. Vista likes memory 2gb,, more is noticably better. Windows 7 comes out end of October I believe so maybe try to get a rain check on a free upgrade when buying.
    ...See More

Want to remove most of the info on old laptop without a restore

Q

Comments (10)
    Basically you could just empty the My Documents folder and most will be removed. However you would also need to check the genealogy program as perhaps that stores the data within the program itself. To do either or both right click on Start and click Explore. Now if you look on the left side you will see My Documents near the top, click on this to highlight and the contents appear on the right side of your screen. Assuming you want to remove everything click the first item on the right side, hold down the Shift button and tap the End button to highlight everything. Right click on the highlighted stuff and click Delete in the pop up. To remove only some hold down the CTRL button while you click to highlight things you need removed then right click to delete. For the genealogy program look down the left side for Program Files, click the plus sign beside that to open the sub folders beneath it. Look down through those for the genealogy folder, click to highlight. Then on the right side do as stated above to remove any or all of it.
    ...See More

qualities in a good laptop?

Q

Comments (5)
    "Computer graphics" covers a lot of ground. It would be helpful to know which programs he'll be running. This is probably the right time to recommend that you get a video card in the new computer-something with 512kb video memory or more if available. If funds are available, a faster processor wouldn't hurt either. "Refurbished" means that someone else already bought the unit and returned it as unsatisfactory (for whatever reason. Maybe something was broken-maybe they just didn't like it)...so it can't be resold as new. Supposedly, these get rechecked and are certified to be like new before being sold as refurbs and MAY OR MAY NOT have the same warranty as new depending on where you get it. Read the fine print before you buy.
    ...See More
  • klaa2
    16 years ago

Whoa, wait a second!

Zep, back it up man. You're seriously mistaken on one point - RAM.

You DO need as much as you can get, especially with Micro$oft Vi$ta. Vista ALONE needs a minimum of 448 megabytes of ram to run. Yes, I wrote 448, not 512.

Some computers share ram with the video processor. If you have a computer with 512MB of ram, at least 448 must be available to the operating system or it will not function.

Do NOT buy a laptop with 512MB of ram and Windows Vista (or XP for that matter) and expect it to work.

For XP to function in any sort of usable manner you need at least 1GB of ram or you'll be paging to the hard drive constantly, which seriously slows you down.

For Vista (Home BASIC version), 1GB will be slow and you will be bogged down. 1.5 GB is the recommended minimum. I'd go with at least 2. The other versions, starting with Home Premium, require a minimum of 1GB ram. Less than 2 and and you'll probably be back in the windows 3.1 speed range (I just dated myself).

Additionally, Vista uses and requires a more powerful video card/processor (one that supports Pixel Shader 2.0 with 32 bits per pixel) because of it's Aero interface.

Your laptop/notebook, should support DirectX10 and have at least 2GB of RAM for it to be of any use. You can get away with 1GB but, quite frankly, it will stink.

You'll also need at least a 1 gigahertz processor. My personal preference is towards Intel, I feel AMD's run too hot.

There is not much you can do to upgrade a notebook computer. So buy the best you can.

• mikie_gw
    16 years ago

Guy that enjoys woodworking probably would enjoy adding some ram to his own personal laptop. And will save some money to boot.

Plus there's always Vista's ReadyBoost and SuperFetch features available with the addition of simple flash drive.

I havent Vista yet but sounds like a pc card adapter and a faster 2 to 4 gb CF smart card would make my old laptop mighty happy with vista and 512mb of ram.

• klaa2
    16 years ago

ReadyBoost won't give much of a performance lift. It simply replaces caching to the hard drive with caching to the flash drive. That alone doesn't give much of a performance increase. Maybe 2/10th's of a second.

ReadyBoost does not increase system RAM in any way, shape, or form.

• zep516
    16 years ago

klaa2,

I was only looking at the users' needs "e-mail & web browsing", a basic off the shelf machine should function for that need, ram if they thought they needed more could be added later---I need to get out and see what there selling now as a basic e-mail machine if you will--I'm also curious how the laptops handle a full version of vista ultimate w/o melting and eating batteries. I'm going to go to best buy and get an idea it is only store close to me.

• zep516
    16 years ago

Slinkey,

Here's is a very nice laptop "Thinkpad" for $680.00, Make your selection according to your needs, thinkpads are very good laptops, good support too, you can even call them, this particular one would run xp well and that is what I would order good price and I think that's what you're after.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laptop link

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now I'm really confused. I hear what you are saying about having more than 1GB to support Vista. However what about a system that you can upgrade to 2GB?
    I am looking at one now at Buy.Com. It's on Sale now for $499. - It's a Gateway T2310 - Features:
    Intel Pentium® Dual-Core mobile processor T2310 with 533MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 1.46GHz processor speed
    1GB PC2-5300 DDR2 memory for multitasking power; expandable up to 2GB
    Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; supports DVD-RAM; also supports Labelflash direct-disc labels using compatible Labelflash media
    15.4" WXGA TFT-LCD widescreen display with Ultrabright technology and 1280 x 800 resolution
    120GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with up to 384MB video memory; high-definition audio (2-channel support)
    Multimedia controls provide quick access to and control of your media and applications with the touch of a button
    5-in-1 media reader supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card
    4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer
    Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; V.92 high-speed modem
    Weighs 6.2 lbs. and measures just 1.4" thin for portable power; lithium-ion battery and AC adapter
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Works 8.5, Microsoft Money 2006, CyberLink Power2Go and more

• zep516
    16 years ago

This looks like a good selection for you an what you need it for, and it is expandable up to 2GB. See what others say.

• mikie_gw
    16 years ago

I'm not a gateway user, but that sounds like a very good deal.
    My only question... softwares available for that 64bit processor/windows_system - plenty now, or few ?

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again zep for your thoughts.. that's what I thought I'd do...see what kind of feedback I'd get about it,on here.
    Sorry mikie, I'm such a 'novice' at this, that I don't understand your ques... but perhaps someone else can reply to that.

• tumblenweed
    16 years ago

New notebook check list:

Test:
    Ports, drives, card slots, CD/DVD player, keys and touch pad.
    Check:
    Battery
    Speakers
    Your system specs> Make sure you got want you ordered> Run SIW
    Scratches on the screen and case.
    Run with AC and off battery.
    Install updates for windows.
    Run chkdsk and Memtest86.
    Make sure the anti-virus is updated and working properly.
    Install spyware applications.
    Run all software programs.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay guys...this is the one I finally bought..it was on sale for $499. Tell me what you think...

Mid-size laptop: The Gateway ML6721 is a midsized notebook, perfect for use on the road or at home. The dual-core processor and 1GB RAM provide enough performance to complete most tasks in no time.

Dual core processing: This laptop features the 1.46GHz Core Duo T2310 dual-core processor. The Core Duo has two processing engines that work together, giving this processor much more power than standard 1.46GHz processors. Intel Centrino technology enhances mobile performance and extends battery life.

Featuring 1GB of advanced DDR2 system memory, this laptop has more than enough performance to view images, movies and multimedia.
    Data travels to the processor along the frontside bus. The faster data travels, the faster everything works. This notebook features a 533MHz frontside busplenty for everyday tasks.
    L2 caches keep data neat, organized and nearby so processors can retrieve it quickly. This 2 x 512KB L2 cache will give the processor a little boost.
    Hard drive: This notebook features a 160GB hard drive with ample space for your collection of music, movies and multimedia. This drives data disks spin at 5400rpm. The faster they spin, the faster the data is opened and saved.

Go wireless: Built-in 802.11g wireless allows you to connect with a wide range of networks and peripherals. 802.11g is backwards-compatible with 802.11b, so you can connect using the two most popular wireless standards

Multi-format DVD drive: Use this drive to burn DVDs and CDs to share your files, music mixes or home movies. You can even burn DVD-RAM discsspecially-formatted discs that let you drag and drop, or write and rewrite your files up to 100,000 times.

Widescreen display: This 15.4" widescreen features 1280 x 800 pixel (WXGA) resolution, providing sharp detail and plenty of room for whatever you want to view.

Microsoft® Windows® Vista Home Premium: Windows Vista Home Premium is the operating system for homes with advanced computer needs. And Vista Premium features the elegant new Aero interface. Youll be able to use your laptop more effectively and enjoy new entertainment experiencesall with the benefit of added security and reliability.

High-end audio/video: Integrated Intel graphics and up to 384MB of dedicated video memory is great for more demanding games or video editing. The built-in high definition speakers provide compelling 3D sound.

5-in-1 Memory Card Reader: Seamlessly transfer images from your digital camera or camcorder. This 5-in-1 reader is compatible with Secure Digital, Multi Media Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro and xD.

Software bundle:
    Microsof Works 8.5
    Microsoft Money 2006
    Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 (60-day complimentary trial period)
    Adobe Reader 8
    CyberLink Power 2 Go
    Microsoft Windows Media Player 11
    Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition 2006 (includes 60-day Digital Image Standard 2006 trial)
    Napster Music Service (30-day trial)
    Microsoft Internet Explorer
    AOL (90-day Complimentary Subscription)
    Google Toolbar search bar
    Google Desktop Search search tool
    Gateway Connect
    NetZero Internet Access
    McAfee Internet Security Suite (90-day complimentary subscription)
    BigFix - helps identify and solve problems
    LoJack for Laptops BIOS Persistence Agent Enabled
    Kensington Lock Slot (cable lock sold separately)
    Gateway Games Powered by WildTangent (pre-installed with 10 demo games with 60-minutes of game play)

• genes
    16 years ago

Any of those complementary programs on your machine, do not activate them. Especially McAfee Internet security suite. Too expensive and not a fan favorite. Download free Antivirus programs either Avast or AVG and free Zone Alarm for a Firewall. You will be farther ahead and better protected

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hear ya genes...thanks..
    I checked out AVG, there were some reviews saying it was Not completely free. So I'm wondering about that. I was also led to a site for Registry Cleanup...is this also something that should be downloaded? Could I use any of these on my Desktop as well?
    Thanks

• owbist
    16 years ago

The link below will give you the free version of AVG. Be sure to pay attention as you go through or you may click on the 'for a fee' part instead.

Here is the download link to AVG anti malware too. Anti malware program are becoming seemingly more important than anti virus as the bad guys try harder to control our computing pleasure.

Here is the link to the free Zonealarm firewall program Genes was refering to. Again, be careful as you click along to stay with the free version.

Here is a link to RegSeeker, an excellent free registry cleaner

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    16 years ago

owbist..thanks so much. Let me ask another real 'dumb' question...If I were to download these on MY computer, as well as my Husband's Laptop, when he gets it...does that mean, that I DON'T have to renew my Webroot Spy Sweeper, if I'm to download AVG..ZoneAlarm for free?
    My Spy Sweeper will be expiring soon...just wondering about this..
    Thanks

• grandms
    16 years ago

Yes, the AVG anti malware would take the place of Spy Sweeper.

I would gradually get rid of most of the add-on programs by uninstalling them. Keep the MS programs, but get rid of all the trial programs, or the first thing you know, you'll be paying for them. Don't try to do it all at once, or you might remove something you really want. Just take your time. Sounds like a nice laptop for the price.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    16 years ago

grandms...sooo good to hear that I chose a decent one.
    For the price range I was looking at, I was afraid there wouldn't be anything worthwhile. They seem to be having lots of sales now..probably unloading last year's models!
    Anyway, I was so happy to hear about the free software and I will definitely take advantage of it.
    Thanks again for the great advice..

• genes
    16 years ago

slinky; Download, Spywareblaster (free) AdawareSE Personal (free) and let the ones you are paying for expire. These two spyware programs will compliment your Antivirus program you select. Then, you can uninstall Webroot or whatever it was. Just remember to periodically (every week or so) to open up each of these and update them and run AdawareSE. The other (spywareblaster) works in the background. It just has to be updated periodically for new signatures

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow genes...I just feel like someone told me a great secret...I've been plagued with Webroot Syp Sweeper, to
    renew..glad I waited. I will uninstall it, and do what you suggested. As far as to update them and run AdawareSE...if I don't do that as often, will it just expire? All of you are the best on here. I'm so glad I asked for advice ..Thanks for all the great info and tips...

• grandms
    16 years ago

AdAware will not expire because you don't update it. But you should update about once a week, or less often if you don't use your computer a lot, and then run a scan to rid yourself of any spyware that may have come your way. If you keep Spywareblaster updated, it should keep most of the nasties away. Easiest way to keep all your security programs working well is to set a schedule for updating and running scans. Of course, the anti-virus programs should update automatically, but you want to run scans with those occasionally, too.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sounds good to me grandms thanks...I'll make sure to update on a weekly basis, as I do use my computer every day.
    Setting a schedule seems best.
    I guess I'm set for now...at least until after Christmas when my dh starts to use his new laptop!! Then the 'fun' will begin with him trying to figure things out...lol

• livvysmom
    16 years ago

I also just bought a Gateway laptop and it is filled with junk I don't want. Out of this list, I will want to remove MS Office Home and Student, Napster, AOL, NetZero, and probably Gateway Games since I already used up my "free time" (and I must admit, I had fun).

Now -- how do I make sure these things and all references to them are removed? For instance, some of this junk does not appear under Uninstall Programs (such as Netzero) so, I start by deleting the shortcut, then go to the harddrive to Programs file and delete the directory. Is there anywhere I need to go?

Does anyone know of anything else that should be deleted? What about "BigFix"? Some of this stuff -- I just don't know what it is yet.

Thanks.

Software bundle:
    Microsof Works 8.5
    Microsoft Money 2006
    Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 (60-day complimentary trial period)
    Adobe Reader 8
    CyberLink Power 2 Go
    Microsoft Windows Media Player 11
    Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition 2006 (includes 60-day Digital Image Standard 2006 trial)
    Napster Music Service (30-day trial)
    Microsoft Internet Explorer
    AOL (90-day Complimentary Subscription)
    Google Toolbar search bar
    Google Desktop Search search tool
    Gateway Connect
    NetZero Internet Access
    McAfee Internet Security Suite (90-day complimentary subscription)
    BigFix - helps identify and solve problems
    LoJack for Laptops BIOS Persistence Agent Enabled
    Kensington Lock Slot (cable lock sold separately)
    Gateway Games Powered by WildTangent (pre-installed with 10 demo games with 60-minutes of game play)

• grandms
    16 years ago

Good questions. Of course, any that are listed in add/remove in control panel are no problem. My HP laptop came loaded with a bunch of this stuff, too. I used the search feature and tried to find all references to each item I wanted to remove. Even this doesn't find it all. I went into C:\Program Files and looked for any folders there that contained any of these things. Somewhere I saw a little application that was supposed to get rid of these "add ons", but I can't remember where. If I run across it, I will post it here.

• genes
    16 years ago

Not sure how Vista works, I am still on XP. But, in XP, for some programs, those that were not in the Add/Remove in Control Panel, you would go to Start>Program Files and put the mouse over the particular program and there should be a drop down menu with one of the parts being "Uninstall" click on that and it should get rid of everything including the shortcut icon on the desktop.

• bob414
    16 years ago

Might try PC Decrapfier.

• grandms
    16 years ago

Bob, that's the one I was thinking of. Thanks for posting it.

• urlee
    16 years ago

SLINKEY!
    How are you doing with your new Laptop????????
    I can't find where I can e-mail you.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    15 years ago

Hi Slinkey, hope you don't mind me bringing this back up but I was also curious as to how it's working out for you. Plus I have a question (a pretty lame one) to add to this topic of picking out what I need.

Just to give some background, my wife and I are probably old compared to you folks in the know here and have simple needs. I'm retiring soon (2 weeks) and up until now we've only had internet/email access via webtv at home (horse & buggy stuff for sure). All we really want is a wireless laptop that's capable of emails, high speed comcast internet, and can play back u-tube videos. That's it, maybe toss in WORD for extra stuff but that's all, plus all the latest anti-virus. How's that for simple? No special bells, no whistles. I did read everything above but it's Greek to me. Thanks so much for any feedback, and again sorry to butt-in Slinkey.