SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rknala

Malwarebytes problem

katlan
10 years ago

I have been having problems with Malwarebytes for awhile now. It will only run for about 12 minutes then it completely freezes up. The mouse, the screen, everything. All I can do is turn off my laptop, wait a bit, and turn the power back on.

In the last hour I uninstalled it then reinstalled the free version. Started running the program and it froze up again. I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials right now, it's about 1/4 of the way done. I also have Spyware blaster installed. And CCleaner.

Any ideas what could be going on?

Comments (40)

• owbist
    10 years ago

Laptop or desktop? Easier to offer help with that knowledge.

Perhaps this is heat related, how old is the computer and have you ever cleaned out the dust bunnies or checked the fan/s is/are working?

• fruitjarfla
    10 years ago

Try running it with Security Essentials, Spyblaster and CCleaner shut down.

• Related Discussions

Question about new malwarebytes and noscripts

Q

Comments (12)
    It's not there. There's no search bar in config with FF 29.0.1 but all the browser info is readily available through the "troubleshooting info" tab. No Script is no longer listed in this current version. As I stated above...if a FF user wants it back...they can download it again. It can be found as an add-on if one looks for it as a downloadable add-on. But it was not moved with this current version when the update was made available. FF always advises the user that they will check to see if the users add-ons are compatible with the newest version before they download it. Apparently, they...in their infinite wisdom...decided No Script was not necessary with this newest version. Remember...the FF version I'm dealing with is 29.0.1. Not every FF user is working with this particular new version. I don't think FF just "blew it away". There's simply no need for it with their current built-in security and the app itself can cause problems if it's not used correctly.
    ...See More

New Free Version Malwarebytes

Q

Comments (5)
    I like the new version. Have put it on several computers and had no problems. Perhaps try uninstalling it from control panel and then when all is done, run its cleanup uninstall tool. Restart computer before reinstalling it. Here is a link that might be useful: http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean
    ...See More

versions of malwarebytes

Q

Comments (2)
    From https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/22521436-I-keep-getting-notified-that-my-trial-has-expired-how-do-I-revert-to-the-free-version-... 'Clicking on "End Trial" will remove Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from your tray thus eliminating the prompts that your trial has expired and reverting the product to the normal free version behavior.' Is that sufficient?
    ...See More

Malwarebytes Won't Update

Q

Comments (8)
    Glad that it finally got its act together, Shax. Sometimes there's no apparent reason for why an app or program suddenly hiccups. I have found...over the years...that holidays are busy internet times often overloading the airways...that slow down certain processes...testing our patience. Perhaps that's what caused your update problem. If it repeats...run Chameleon. And/or take a look at your Event log to see if you can get a clue there as to what's causing the problem.
    ...See More
  • emma
    10 years ago

I had a problem with ccleaner one time, but it was an infection and nothing else on my PC would scan. When ccleaner got up to 300 problems it froze. I was advised in here to stop it before it froze and delete, then run it again. Your's is probably not an infection but posted this in case.....

• zep516
    10 years ago

If you still have issue with Mawarebytes after other suggestions, download mbam-clean.exe see link, download it and run it,

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
    After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Here is a link that might be useful: mbam-clean

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry I didn't give more info to start with. It's a laptop, 2 years old this past July. Acer Aspire, quad core, amd phenom II.

I have a cooling pad it sits on and have the fan turned on almost constantly. I haven't however checked for dust bunnies! I'll do that.

I ran ccleaner and MSE. MSE came out o.k. I just now uninstalled Malwarebytes. Going to the site zep posted and download that program.

Thank you all for your help. I'll let you know what happens.

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, o.k. when I click on zep's link above a page pops up but then closes right away? So I googled mbam-clean.exe went to a couple different sites listed and clicked to download it. A separate page comes up, but it's blank. And in the bottom left corner of the page it says Done.

I'll try again.....

• zep516
    10 years ago

The program I had you download, is used to uninstall Malwarebytes, it's a special tool in case your having issues with malwarebytes, once that tool is used
    ( mbam-clean.exe) then you would reinstall Malwarebytes and see if it will run on your machine.

Should have explained the better.

As far as my link for ( mbam-clean.exe) a box should pop up here on the forum then you click save file, save it to the desktop, then double click it to run it. At least that's how it works using Firefox.

• jean_mi_z5
    10 years ago

Katlan may be using a popup stopper, as I do. If that is the case, right click on Zep's link and choose 'open in new tab' and it should allow you to download and save the application.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Thanks jean, I'll commit that to memory when providing instruction in the future :)

Joe

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

o.k. I was able to run mbam-clean.exe Computer shut down and restarted. Downloaded malwarebytes again and ran it.

It froze again at 13 min. 2 sec. It had already scanned 49,616 objects and 0 infections found to that point,

It froze on....
    C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\WindowsLive\Mail\wcstoreproxy.dll

I had to push the power button to turn it off. 3 different times I turned it off then back on. Startup Repair started running. 3 different times. Finally said unable to fix the problem send or don't send report to microsoft.

So I turned it off AGAIN. Waited til after Thanksgiving dinner. Turned it back on just now and was able to sign on. Very, very slow running but it's on.

I've already transferred all the pics, documents etc. to my email, flashdrive and photobucket. Would it be best to just wipe it out and return to factory default settings? I know I'll lose everything. Will that take care of the problem? Then download MSE, malwarebytes, ccleaner and skywareblaster again?

• owbist
    10 years ago

Is the Microsoft Security Essentials icon green?

Run the computer without the cooling pad on to listen for the internal fan and listen to see if it is running or not. I am wondering if that has quit.

Try going to Youtube and run a video of about 10 minutes to see if it will stay working during that time.

Is this Windows 7 64 bit?

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The icon is green. I just watched a video on youtube without the cooling pad on. I hear the fan on the laptop kicking on and off.

Yes, Windows 7 Home Premium, Service pack 1, 64-bit.

• mikie_gw
    10 years ago

Think if mine, I might try some basic things on it before having to reinstalling windows.

Very first thing would be to make a quick desktop shortcut by right clicking the desktop and choose New > Shortcut.
    Command is cmd ,, then next next.

Right click that cmd shortcut and run as administrator
    ChkDsk /F .. type Y for Yes to the question it will ask about run that CheckDisk command at next startup .. Restart the computer for that scan.

Then after back in windows, same deal again, right click cmd, run as administrator
    SFC /ScanNow .. to run the system file checker.

Probably a good idea to uninstall all of the windows live essentials, which Live Mail is a component of ... maybe just the mail.... depends on what you might lose .... reinstall it later after you try malwarebytes again. If you want to dare try that it again. But for sure uninstall / reinstall the Live Mail at minimum.

• owbist
    10 years ago

OK so now we can assume this is not heat related and the anti virus is up to date and taking care of business.

Not sure where to go now but give Mickie's ideas a whirl. Everything eliminated as a possible cause is one less to fret over.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Right process of elimination,

I'd be curious if Malwarebytes would complete a scan in Safe Mode.

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I apologize for taking so long to reply back. Have a house full of family for Thanksgiving/hunting season.

I ran the SFC /ScanNow. After running it said....

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

then then next line after that was....

C:\Windows\System32\

Which is what it started out saying

I don't use Windows Live Mail, I use verizon yahoo mail online, I don't download the mail to my laptop.

could I just delete/uninstall Windows Live Mail and see if that does anything, since that is what Malwarebytes seems to be hanging up on?

• zep516
    10 years ago

Does Malwarebytes run in safe mode?

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I don't know. I just googled it and one answer said they think F8 is for safe mode on all acers. Start up computer and keep hitting the F8 key.

So do you think I should do that? Then do I just shut it down and restart to take it out of safe mode?

• zep516
    10 years ago

Yes, see if Malwarebytes runs in safe mode.

Restart to computer an keep tapping the F8 KEY, You will then get a black screen with white letters, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, then hit enter on keyboard, let the computer do its thing. Once in Safe Mode try to run Malwarebytes.

Then yes shut down & restart to exit Safe Mode.

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

o.k. restarted in safe mode. Ran Malwarebytes. It froze again at 11 min. 23 sec. on...
    C:\ProgramFiles\(x86)\WindowsLive\Mail\wcstore.dll

Do you think it would be o.k. to just delete Windows Mail? Or will that accomplish nothing? And if I do uninstall it, do I have to reinstall it?

And thank you again by the way!

• zep516
    10 years ago

No, I would not delete that yet because I don't know the outcome.

Let me research the Malwarebytes issue.

It's going to be uninstalling it again, using Malwarebytes clean or revo.

I'll get instructions for you.

Do you have revo uninstaller ?

This is a glitch with Malwarebytes not windows mail, that's why I want to focus on Malwarebytes first .

• zep516
    10 years ago

OK,

I know we have done this before, but lets try it again..

Using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware uninstall tool

Our special uninstall tool, mbam-clean.exe, was created to completely remove all traces of the program from your computer. So if you're having trouble with the program, as often a clean uninstall and reinstall of the software will correct many common problems.

To use the utility:

See my link and follow instructions for mbam-clean.exe

Tell me when you finish that and we will reinstall it for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: uninstall-Malwarebytes

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just ran mbam-clean.exe malwarebytes is gone.

• owbist
    10 years ago

I have discovered you are not alone in this, no comfort of course but others quit before a solution was reached.

You have shown no sign of fear or frustration so this should be good. Remember though, do not read it all and gasp, read and act on one step at a time. You can do one test and walk away before moving on to the next.

This is a Malware Removal Guide and consists of 8 steps. I (and others here) have used each of these programs over time though I have never needed to run them all on one computer.

• mikie_gw
    10 years ago

All those programs are worthy programs but if you don't take time to understand some of the changes they make, you can also cause some difficulties.

If their main purpose in life is to remove bad guys is one thing.. but some try to protect too and then the fun starts for me I've discovered a few times. Figuring out how to get back shared or the default public folders. Having to make new a stock host file. etc.

• owbist
    10 years ago

You might be right Mikie but this issue has gone on for a week with no end in sight.

I would add one thing as you have brought the matter up, perhaps the OP should reboot after each scan to ensure all goes well.

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

o.k. all my company is gone. Hopefully I can just do this now. I could start it in safe mode but it would seem I can't start my laptop in safe mode with networking.

I have tried twice now. Turn it on, hit F8 repeatedly, choose the safe mode with networking option and it goes to the Startup Repair. It runs for I don't know how long, finally says unable to fix your problem send or don't send report.

I'll try it one more time to see if it will let me. I'll be back.....

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well that sucked, lol. Don't want to try that again. Not only did it not let me restart in safe mode with networking, it took me 5 or 6 tries to finally get back on.

As far as having to make a new stock host file, getting back shared or the default public folders, that is way, way beyond me.

The website posted by owbist...
    http://malwaretips.com/blogs/malware-removal-guide-for-windows/

can I just start with step 1 without doing safe mode with networking first?

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    10 years ago

I'd probably be pulling my hair out by now, ready to throw in the towel and do a factory restore. That's just me though, not saying you should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

If you do consider doing a recovery, pay attention to the part about backing up personal files first.

I'm not a pro, just saying what I'd probably be thinking by now if it were mine.

• owbist
    10 years ago

Yes the scan can be ran with normal windows running, I have just performed the same test to confirm that. Does it do quite such a good job compared to safe mode? No idea but any attempt at a fix is worth a try methinks.

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hear ya chuggerguy. I was quite frankly ready to do that but thought I would check here first. I've come here begging for help before and always got it. Plus, the ccleaner, MSE runs fine.

owbist, on my way to the site you posted. So I should do #1, then shut down, restart and try malwarebytes correct?
    And keep doing each number like that?

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

o.k. #1 Kaspersky TDSSKiller downloaded and ran. It showed
    Threats detected
    Locked file
    Service: swenum
    medium risk I clicked on Delete

It ran a cure then said:

Found: 1 threat
    Neutralized: 3 threats
    Quarantined: 1 objects

Shut down, rebooted, running malwarebytes right now. 7 minutes and counting.......

• owbist
    10 years ago

That is promising :~)

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Malwarebytes ran completely through finding nothing yesterday. Then I went back to the site you listed and did Step #2. Step #3 said run Malwarebytes, so I ran it again. And it wouldn't finish. UGH!

I'm moving on to Step #4 this morning. Just downloaded and started running HitmanPro3..........

• fruitjarfla
    10 years ago

Hopefully, your experience with Kaspersky will be better than mine. I too, ran TDSS along with the other steps mentioned by Owbist. My computer still continues to be bombed with adware. The version of Kaspersky I used was "free." I subsequently contacted Kas by phone and computer access. I was warned of all of the hokey free malware software I have on my computer, that I should have had periodic checkups for my computer like the auto I own --- all of this coming to me from India, Bangladesh or ???. Despite all the bad stuff that they saw on my computer, I stil have it. It would only cost about $300 for them to remove it. I have found that free Superantispyware software will remove more of the adware than the "free" Kaspersky. Thus, the result of all of the hype and recommendations from the advertisements, ya get very little for "free."

• zep516
    10 years ago

Hi Katlin

It's time you move to a Malware removal forum. Running automated tools like that and hoping something sticks is not the best approach. You need to visit Landzdown forum. Post the required log files and then a determination of the infection is diagnosed, then the right tools will be used. I'm starting to get worried TDSS Killer is no toy, TDSS Killer is a rootkit scanner. Rootkit scanners have to be used with caution as they generate false positives.

From your post:

Threats detected
    Locked file
    Service: swenum
    medium risk I clicked on Delete .

To sum things up:

A locked file or service does not necessarily mean a threat.

"Object is locked skipped" or "Access Denied" notations in an anti-virus/anti-malware scan are not uncommon. Some files and services are locked by the operating system or running programs during use for protection, so scanners cannot access them. When the scanner finds such an object, it makes a note and then just skips to the next one. That explains why it may show as "skipped", "locked" or "Access Denied" in certain anti-virus or anti-malware log scan reports. These types of detections are normal and not usually malware related so there is seldom a need for concern.

File path:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\swenum.sys

The file swenum is a trustworthy file from Microsoft.

The swenum.sys process is part of Microsoft Windows and should not be deleted or prevented from loading each time Windows loads. Doing so could cause errors or Windows to stop working.

Because the swenum.sys file is a Windows Operating System file it is not recommend you download this file from any website. If this file is missing, it is likely other Windows related files are also missing, we suggest re-installing Windows to make sure your issue is correctly resolved.

swenum.sys
    Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
    Microsoft Corporation
    The file swenum.sys by Microsoft runs as a Windows kernel mode device driver named Software Bus DriverâÂÂ.

The other thing that can happen in Malware is that a System file like swenum can get infected, but you just can't go an delete a Microsoft file that's part of the operating system, at that point the file has to be cleaned or replaced.

Before any other issues occur, please get to a forum, save any log reports that these scanners may have created.

I'm hoping that it was not a Microsoft file, but from my experience it doesn't look good.

Worried,
    Joe

• corrine_mvp
    10 years ago

Joe is right, Katlin. Running tool after tool such as suggested at that site followed by randomly deleting files without review can easily result in a rather expensive door stop.

I don't know if you've created more damage than can be repaired without a repair install, but I would be happy to look at the logs from the tools you've already run plus the requested logs in the topic listed below.

Here is a link that might be useful: LandzDown Log Posting Instructions

• corrine_mvp
    10 years ago

Katlin, I've been thinking about this. Hopefully, you created a System Restore point prior to running TDSSKiller. If you didn't select a date closed to the point prior to running TDSSKiller. Instructions by Microsoft are in the link below.

fruitjarfla, I'd be happy to review logs for you also. It won't cost you $300. In fact, it won't cost you anything but your time.

Here is a link that might be useful: System Restore

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joe and Corrine, thank you! So I need to go to landzdown log posting and post my results there?

I saved 3 results. I was on #8 part B. It ran to 98% then froze. Completely. Again, had to turn the power off them back on.

I have RogueKiller log report
    Adware Cleaner log report
    Junkware Removal Tool utility report

I created a system restore point to go back to aug. 31. I did that long before trying all the steps at the above listed site.

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

o.k. I went to landzdown, registered and posted. User name is katlan.

Thanks again!!!