SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebound_gw

Virus nightmare....all files lost

homebound
12 years ago

I am writing from another PC in the house to share a horrible story. Without sufficient back-up's (who has the time?), I apparently lost all personal info and files on one of the computers. First, there were cascading windows on the desktop, followed by inability to get to the task manager or anything, yet the hard drive was going like crazy. What the...? I panicked and did a hard shut down. Upon rebooting, I continued to get the cascading windows and couldn't control it. Again, a hard shut down, then into safe mode, trying to run antivirus, Malwarebytes (MBAM) & Superantispyware (SAS). Suddenly SAS fails to update, no matter what. Still, it found a bunch of trojans, etc. And again with MBAM..and again. etc. Then I made what was probably the fatal error, following a prompt in the taskbar, it looked like a Windows thing, to check the disk. Well, stupidly I ran it, called "System Fix", and now I have nothing. Just a black desktop with an empty recycle bin front and center, no other icons, no more links to the internet, no shortcuts in the taskbar, empty folders, etc. This is bad, whatever it is. Any ideas what to do? Even safe mode seems corrupted.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!