SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyks_gw

Independent home inspectors

amyks
16 years ago

Independent meaning hiring them on my own. I'm sure many of you did the same thing. My gc is having a home inspector come out next week. My DH and I have our own scheduled for Thursday of this week. Everything is going well right now, my punch list has 75 items so far, most of which is paint and drywall stuff. I won't go into detail but suffice it to say this has been a tough road with the gc. He has a hair triggered temper, and I am exhausted in the true sense of the word. I know in my husband's business, he encourages people to get a second opinion. I just don't know what to expect.

What did you do? Did your gc have an inspector that essentially worked for him and then you got an independent inspector? It isn't cheap, $1075 dollars. We think it is money well spent. I am just looking for all of your vast experience. Also, if any builders, like worthy, would chime in and give me your opinion I would be grateful. Do your clients get their own inspectors and if so does it upset you? If you got your own inspector, how did your gc react? I feel like an abused person who is trying to anticipate the next shocking outburst, and that is only a very slight exaggeration.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Amy

Comments (13)