SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laylibird

When to convert?

laylibird
16 years ago

Greetings, I am a new member to the forums, and about to become a new homeowner (provided all goes to plan). I am going up a very steep learning curve at the moment.

The home we are purchasing is a 1400 sq ft single level home in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. We have seasonal weather, with brief (2-3 wks) periods of extreme temperatures (below 30F/above 90F). This home has a 20 yo Cadet wall furnace system + a wood burning stove. It has no vents, nor any form of a/c. Although the sellers have installed very nice ceiling fans throughout.

We just had our independent home inspector provide us a full home inspection. He was impressed with the quality of construction, checked the heating system and said it hadn't been recalled and was working well.

Most homeowners in our area expect a forced air, ventilated system. We have two estimates to convert this system to a forced air system with electric heat pump. One estimate is for $12,000; the other for $9500 (Trane 14 seer heat pump). Unfortunately, I only have the paperwork on the $9500 estimate as the other was drawn up for the sellers and I don't have the specifics.

We have funds to do the conversion now.

My question:

We will convert the system at some point.

Is there an overwhelming benefit to converting now? Before we move in?

Or later?

Many thanks for your advice!

Comments (6)