SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
electratoo_gw

Three-sided ceiling beams?

ElectraToo
11 years ago

Hi all,

We are finally moving on to the trim work in my house. It is a French Country style and the plans call for timber trim beams on the cathedral ceiling in the family room, as well as in the kitchen. There are also timber posts framing out the threshold from the family room to the kitchen (it's a very open floor plan).

I am not opposed to using real timber beams from a cost perspective; they are actually quite a bit cheaper than those faux polyurethane beams on the market (and why they claim to be less than wood I cannot understand). I am more concerned with the weight of these beams on my ceiling, given that they would only be decorative and not structural. My builder suggests having the trim carpenter build out some three-sided beams from planks of rough-sawn cedar (or whatever kind of wood I'd prefer). This seems like the right solution to me but I am wondering how common this is, and if anyone could share the process by which these types of beams are built and installed. My main concern is that they look realistic, and that they don't look like a new piece of wood. Obviously the look I'm going for here is old farmhouse so the wood would have to have an aged appearance. I also don't want to see nail or screw holes.

Any advice here? Thanks!

Comments (4)