SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaydles_gw

does it ever feel like information overload??

kaydles
16 years ago

When we started our build process we were out-of-state so we were relying heavily on our builder. But now that we've been here since the beginning of Aug. we've been much more involved with picking finishes, etc. Our builder is okay with us shopping around for stuff like floors and fixtures, etc...we don't HAVE to use "his" people.

We're building in a neighborhood of primarily custom homes and we've gotten to know some of our neighbors pretty well in the few months we've been here. At least 1/2 a dozen of them are custom builders themselves. Our particular builder hasn't built in this area before so he's not as well known in the neighborhood.

We see our neighbors every week at church and they're always making some kind of comment about the status of our build.

Most of them are very positive comments but sometimes we'll get stuff like...

"Wow the roof is taking forever!"

"Did ANY work happen while we were gone on vacation??"

And that's ok...of course, those are the same comments we make to ourselves all the time!

But since we now know several custom homebuilders, every time we mention a certain supplier or vendor that OUR builder has recommended or is using...they offer up THEIR suppliers and vendors or give their opinions about the vendors that our builder is using. Sometimes their opinions aren't positive so then we end up second-guessing that vendor / product.

We appreciate their advice (it's always great to get recommendations) but at the same time...all of this information and advice gets to be almost paralyzing, kwim??

For example, just last night at a church Halloween party, one of them mentioned that since our roof was taking so long to finish, they've got a bunch of subs that are sitting around waiting for work and he could get them out there asap to finish the job.

I really think that they mention this stuff for OUR benefit - as good neighbors, they really want to help US out.

But I don't really want to step on my builder's toes either - especially if he's getting good pricing and has set relationships since he's got the same crews working on his other concurrent 4 builds. (which definitely doesn't help the time factor!).

Anyway...has anyone else experienced this?

Comment (1)