SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maybee_gw

shortcuts slow to open

maybee_gw
15 years ago

All of my saved shortcuts, whether in my favorites or on my desktop are very slow to open. After they do open, things move along well, but it takes a long time for them to open (a looooong time). I've done a Crap Cleaning scan, SuperAnitSpyWare and McAfee scan and all was well with them. This has just been happening the last day and a half and I haven't installed anything new...XP pro...HP Compaq Computer...IE 7...SP3

Comments (38)

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

My first thought is limited resources. Do you perhaps have too much running in the background?

DA

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't think so, but I'm not sure how to check...and this just started today

• Related Discussions

Plumerias slow growing/leaves opening

Q

Comments (1)
    Welcome to the fourm Andy, I had two plants that jsut would not grow this season. All the others had put on about 7" or more of new growth and these two still hadnt moved. The claws were there but no action. I just kept watering them when they got dry with some B1 and seaweed extract and eventualy they started to grow they now both ave a few sets of leaves but it just took them so long to get started after the winter. Not sure why but just a little glimmer of hope is that if they are not rotten you are good to go! Im sure they will wake up when ready, wish i could be more help or knew what makes them do that but im still learning.. Take care, Sean
    ...See More

Another shortcut question

Q

Comments (4)
    More than likely for the Disk Cleanup utility: START>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup For an in depth and easy paced learning of the System Restore feature I suggest START>Help>"System Restore" (sans quotes) in the Search box>Enter. DA
    ...See More

What are invalid shortcuts

Q

Comments (5)
    no shortcuts will not slow anything down at all and I would not worry about them either. you can make a short cut to any program on your pc, just like how you have the icons on your desktop those are all shortcuts that lead to the real program, so they are just like a little bookmark. Do not take up any space and do not slow things down. How many icons do you have on your desktop? I can not imagine why it would say you have that many invalid shortcuts. It is often from programs you may have had on the pc and removed or something you changed or updated usually everything you install asks if you want to add a shortcut somewhere, usually the desktop.
    ...See More

slow... slow food, slow life, slow bicycle... slow

Q

Comments (30)
    Also older than ... and glad to be above rather than under the ... dirt. Anyone remember 78 mm. ... no, that was r.p.m. ... records? And the needle being on a circular disk that one lifted off of the record and put up, over and back to be held in place above the arm that swung back and forth over the record but didn't move up or down? Our "Party line" phone was a big brown wooden box on the wall with a metal thing like a tulip sticking out of the front into which you talked, and a line with a black tube on the end that hung on a yoke sticking out of the side of the phone, that lifted when you took the receiver off to listen, which connected the phone to the line, by making the contacts with the large batteries inside. If you wanted to call some other person on your line, after listening to see whether the line was busy, you turned a crank on the right side to make the double bells on the front of the phone ring, in a code of short and long rings, which rang in everyone else's phone on the line, and the ones whose code it was answered ... sometimes others did, as well (almost always remaining silent while doing so). If you wanted to call someone on another party line, you pushed a black button on the left side of the phone and turned the aforementioned crank on the right side, which silenced all of the bells on your line and sent a signal to the operator on the central switchboard and she connected you to the other line and pushed a button or turned a crank to ring the code of the person to whom you wanted to talk. ole joyfuelled ... who liked eating at the dining room table ... in the large kitchen
    ...See More
  • maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay...I should have known that before...msconfig...right? I have several things running, but don't know which ones I need and which ones I don't...I've read others saying that before also...but, now "I'm" there...I'll read some more....and see what I come up with

• PKponder TX Z7B
    15 years ago

My first thought is that since internet shortcuts are slow to open that it has to be something with the connection speed. Is your ISP experiencing any latency on their network? If this are just application shortcuts, then my theory would be incorrect ☺

Pam

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

internet shortcuts....so you could be right. "After" they open, I can surf at a pretty good pace...for instance threads on this site open right up.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    15 years ago

Maybe corrupted shortcuts? Have you tried creating a new shortcut and seeing if it works faster? Since you ran all of those cleaners, it could be that you'll have to build up your temporary internet files. Your computer can probably access the temp files faster than your internet connection. What type of connection is it? When did you update to SP3?

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

High speed LAN connection from local water towers....I did SP3 a long time ago.

• genes
    15 years ago

Have you been keeping system clean periodically doing the disk cleanup, running for spyware etc

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do disc cleanup, defrag, virus scan (McAfee) and use SuperAntiSpyWare on a regular basis

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

Have you recently, or perhaps ever done an "error checking" of the HD? Might help if you have never done it.

Do you have more than one browser? If so, does this happen on all of them?

You could go to Safe Mode and try. If it is OK then there is more than likely something running.

DA

• PKponder TX Z7B
    15 years ago

Damccoy, I don't think she can get online in Safe Mode. I know I cannot.

Maybee, did you try to create a new favorite or shortcut to see if it opens any faster? If I understand correctly, you have some sort of wireless broadband. How is the weather? My EVDO connection goes down in rain. Can you see the signal strength from your connection dialog box?

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

You should be able to manually enable the connection in Safe Mode.

DA

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Were is my connection dialog box? I'm always online

• PKponder TX Z7B
    15 years ago

If you have an 'always on' connection, you should see an icon in your taskbar that looks like a computer with lines to the right side for wireless or computers next to each other for a LAN. Just hover your mouse over it and you will see the connection status. Have you tried the steps that Damccoy suggested?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

Are you talking about actual shortcuts to programs on your pc or are you talking about bookmarks and favorites to websites through a browser? Those are 2 totally different animals.

True shortcuts to actual programs like the one you would click on your desktop to start superantispyware for example would be a system or resources issue most likely

however if you are talking about links to things on the web those are not true shortcuts those are bookmarks/ favorites and would be more affected by your online speed or a browser issue.

So to figure out where to begin which type is it you are having this slow problem with?

Also to use safemode and be able to get online you need to select safe mode with networking when you make your selection.

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know how to error check my HD
    I don't have the icon that looks like a computer on my taskbar, but I'm always on with my high speed

I'm talking about bookmarks to websites through my browser (IE 7)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

ah ok that is what I suspected, then your problem will not be with your system most likely, it will be something slowing down your browser or your connection.

For IE7 a few things to try to help speed it up,
    Disable the SSVhelper plugin in IE7 by going to:

Tools->Manage Add-ons->Enable or Disable Add-ons

Select the SSVHelper Class line, click the Disable button, and then click OK:

You can also disable the built in Phising filter which will speed it up
    disable via: Tools > Phishing Filter > Turn (on/off) Automatic Website Checking.
    Even if you have this feature set to off, you can always check a site you are unsure of manually through the Tools > Phishing Filter menu.

After installing IE7, XP will load ctfmon.exe at startup. You can disable it in the Services, but it will reload itself every time you run IE7.

To fix this and speed up IE7 -

Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages -> Details -> Advanced.

Set the checkbox "Turn off advanced text services" and [Apply].

this is a neat trick to view in thumbnail
    CTRL+Q Speed Up IE7 Tabbed Browsing
    8 top tips for IE 7 more tips and tricks to consider

try a few of those and see if they help

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay..one step at a time....I've disabled the first option you give...and I've taken some things out of startup. I did the startup thing just because they ticked me off that they were there...not that it was causing my problems :o) But...these things have always been there, why would this problem just start within the last few days....and I've done nothing to foul my computer up in those days (which I've done in the past)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

could be one of the latest updates changed some settings, if it is your connection it could just be heavy traffic or some issues on their side, I know the phishing filter on IE7 is very well known to slow things down a lot because it has to scan every page. I much prefer disabling that and instead adding the McAfee site advisor add on and the WOT add on to the browser both are better and tell you more info and will not slow down your browser and they both come in IE versions.
    McAfee SiteAdvisor Plug-in Free IE version add on

WOT be sure you get the IE version not the firefox one.

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I use McAfee SiteAdvisor...so I'll disable the phishing filter...*sigh*

But..on the up side, I'm learning a lot I didn't know. For instance, I learned how to check disc for errors...has nothing to do with my problem, but I had never done that. I had defragged and used scan disc, but didn't know about the error checking...all was well with that.

And..I'll keep reading :o)

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

Unless I missed it you didn't share if you have a second browser available. If so, does this occur on that browser too?

Regardless, a user should always have at least a second browser installed and configured. I personally have three. Multiple browsers will not conflict as one is normally dedicated as the default browser.

The thinking for multiple browsers is in the case of a failure of your default browser you would have an alternative to connect to the web to assist in the repair of the browser or remediation of the concern.

For those of us who still have to wade our way through life with an antique DUN I recommend Opera to be installed as an option. With so many sites today being graphic intensive you can with one click quickly prohibit pictures appearing leaving text only.

DA

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So...having two browsers was sort of an unknown for me...still is, but I'll learn.

But...I downloaded Firefox and do you believe that this site opened right up?????? This is the only internet shortcut I've tried, but I'll let you know if it works on all of them. One thing I didn't understand...on the Mozilla site where I got Firefox, it said to click save first...I would have clicked run. It got around the the run, but I have Firefox in My Documents as saved (make sense?) How do I put a Firefox down by my start menu where my Internet Explorer now is? I've always just used IE and never messed with anything else. I was prepared to live with the slow opening shortcuts....now, I'll go check and see if the others open this fast...so far, so good

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They all open up in seconds! But, I have a feeling that I'm going to have a learn how to run Firefox now...do I need to make it my homepage? And..how do I do that? I think I need to get a Firefox icon in my task bar by start instead of IE

• owbist
    15 years ago

You'll love Firefox after just a few minutes no doubt. To set your home page, go there then click Tools and Options at the top and set the page.

Firefox even gives me a Canadian dictionary.

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

Thought of this today and it may be a little off the map.

What version of Java (IE) do you have? I ask as a while back I was having trouble with this site being very slow loading. In fact I started using Firefox to view the site.

When I upgraded to the at-that-time current version of Java ,6.7 as I recall, the access returned to normal.

DA

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have Java 6 Update 7...

I don't know how to navigate between IE and Firefox. I have a place that will open in IE, but with Firefox it says I need to install a plug in :o(

• owbist
    15 years ago

Maybee there is no need to navigate between IE and FF. Simply use FF and ignore IE except for MS updates, they object to using FF for the updates, haha. Using the 'Tabs' feature you can easily have 5 or 6 windows open at the same time if you wish

Not sure which plugin you are referring to, got a name for it? Myself I use precious few addons

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

You can have multiple windows open with IE7 if a user so wishes.

FF plugins are easy to obtain and install. As was asked, what one do you need?

We have to remember FF is only a work around. We haven't remedied the original IE concern.

I don't think this is the problem but you might consider repairing IE7:

First back up your Favorites list and then from Microsoft:

Method to Follow if You Have Internet Explorer 7

If you have Internet Explorer 7, you can repair damaged files or missing registration information in Internet Explorer 7. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start Internet Explorer 7.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    3. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
    4. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset to confirm.

I don't think error-checking is the answer either, but it won't hurt to try.

My Computer>right click on C:/ drive>Properties>Tools tab>Error-Checking Check Now>check both boxes>Start>Yes>Reboot system

The system will come up in a DOS like presentation and operate automatically so don't be concerned. Some of the steps will take a considerable amount of time, particularly if it has never been done before so don't plan to watch. When the task is completed it will continue to reboot normally.

DA

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The plug in was Adobereader

I'll work on IE as suggested above also

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

Maybee when you did the install of firefox it should have asked you when you double clicked it to install if you wanted to put those shortcut icons there on your desktop and it should have asked if you wanted it to import your favorites from IE to firefox, did you tell it yes to do that? You can still have it import all your faves so you have copies on both IE and firefox. to do that click on bookmarks up at the top of FF then organize bookmarks then file then import and select all that you want to import you can select them all or any.

To get your shortcut icon on your desktop if it is not there go to Start > all programs> firefox right click on the firefox and select shortcut to desktop, once you have it on the desktop you can simply click that to open your firefox, if you want it down in the quicklaunch bar you will have to drag it from the desktop down into the quicklaunch bar.

When you are on a site that says you need a plug in rather than get it there it is safer to choose to go to the actual home site of the plug in so if it is wanting an adobe plug in you can go directly there and get the firefox version.

We have many threads here with good firefox tips and tricks and will help you learn firefox, it is super easy and you will soon love it. Just ask when you need help.
    some sites to look at to help you get a start with firefox:
    video tutorial there are more links on the right of that page

How To Use Firefox 3

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I clicked yes to do that....I have a shortcut on my desktop...but how do I use IE if I want to? Everything now opens with Firefox...which took care of the problem of my icons being so slow.

But..how do I do the updates when they come up? Will I still be notified when updates are available...Owbist said you don't do updates using the Firefox browser...how to I get back to IE to do the updates...you all probably really think I'm a dummy, but I've never used anything but IE.

I will watch that tutorial....

damccoy...I did the error checking the other day and it was all fine...

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

Maybee your IE is still there and you can use it at any time even with firefox open they work fine together, all you do is just click on the big blue IE icon on your desktop and it will open your IE browser do the same for firefox just click the firefox icon and it will open firefox. Which ever one you want to use you just click it's button. If you have the firefox icon on the desktop you can just grab it with your mouse hold down the button and drag the icon down there to the quick launch bar where your other icons are then let go and it should create a new icon for you down there too.

When you want to go to the windows update site to get any windows updates you will have to do that using your IE browser because Microsoft will not accept firefox. That is the only place I ever use my IE now, I use firefox for everything else. This will not at all affect your Windows updates if you have them set to do automatically or to notify you. Only if you want to go to the actual windows update webpage then you need to click on your IE icon and use it.
    Your windows update notifier is not tied to your browser at all so this will not change that at all you will still see that update notifier the same as before.

To do any updates for firefox itself it will occasionally check automatically for updates and if it finds some it will pop up and tell you that it has found an update for your firefox or for any add ons you may have then you click ok to let it do the updates, it will then tell you it has to restart firefox (not the whole pc just firefox) say ok and it will shut down firefox then re-open it and the updates will be installed automatically.

Have you managed to get your home page set up on firefox now? If not what you need to do is just go to the webpage that you want to use as your home page, for example if you wanted to use this forum, while you are on the website here you would click up top tools> options then on the main tab there you will see where you have the options for setting your home page, just select the one that says use current page, that will set the page you are currently on as your home page, anytime you want to change it just go to the page you want to set and do the same thing again.

You will want to in that same Options box click on the tabs tab and in there make sure these are selected, new pages should be opened in a NEW TAB
    then there are 4 options below that and you want to make sure the top 3 are selected.
    If you need to change the font type or the size of the fonts on the pages you can change that in Options >content tab
    When you want to clear your cache on firefox you go to Options> privacy then at the bottom is your option to clear the cache, when you click that it gives you more options/settings on exactly what you want it to clear, I always have mine clear cache and download history. you can also clear the cache by clicking on Tools > clear private data.

Once you get the hang of firefox and start trying some of the wonderful add ons that are available for it you will wonder why you did not try it sooner.

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all..and I think I've got it pretty much figured out now...thanks so much

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

We never addressed the .pdf reader that you said you required. Below is the one I use on FF. It is a good feature to begin learning about plugins/addons. There easy and removable. I am not a FF advocate, but I have customized mine with:

Adblock
    Clipmarks
    Download Statusbar
    Forcastfox
    PDF Download
    Read It Later
    Tab Scope
    Undo Closed Tab Button
    U.S. English Dictionary

Try a few and have some fun.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: PDF Download

• maybee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

*sigh*...I'm not "tryin'" anything :o) I just want this thing to run smoothly and make my life a little easier right now. I'm famous for "trying" something and then getting myself in a mess....I'm just settin' tight and doin' my thing right now...everything seems to be working and that's what I'm carin' about :o) I know...there will be times when I mess up again, but it's not gonna be today :o) Those all look very tempting, but not today.

• cjacker
    15 years ago

1. The last few months it seems my computer, when I am using is, is constantly running and has slowed down terribly. I have plenty of memory.
    2. When I run Spybot, and the first screen comes up to delete the temp. files, it will delete some and then say about 120 are in use. Is this OK as it used to just delete them all?
    I'm hoping some of you will give me some advice on both or either of these questions. I'm pretty literate when it comes to using the computer, but very illiterate when it comes to fixing something that isn't working correctly. So, if you have ideas to help me, please use very basic instructions.
    Thank you, Jeanie

• grandms
    15 years ago

Jeanie, I suggest you download and install a little program called CCleaner. It is quite good for getting rid of temporary files and other "crap" that collects on your computer. Just use it at the default settings and you should be okay. Many here on this forum recommend CCleaner.

Here is a link that might be useful: CCleaner

• genes
    15 years ago

gma j; it might be adviseable to start a new thread with your problem. You should never list your problem on another persons help thread ( its called Hijacking a thread). Makes it very confusing to those who are trying to help the original poster