SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asolo_gw

Ceramic knives -- progress report

18 years ago

Follow up to my posting of 2/7/06 (ceramic knives -- first impressions) about Kyocera ceramic kitchen knives....

I am disappointed. Notwithstanding the Kyocera ceramic knives limitations, I earlier reported that their incredible sharpness and "feel" when slicing were worthwhile. If those edges lasted -- which is their selling point -- I would regard them as worthwhile compliments to my steel knives. Alas.

After four months of steady use -- and NO abuse -- the edges are deteriorating and their previous exemplary perfomance along with them. Examination under magnification shows countless tiny chips from the fine edges on each of the three I purchased. All use was slicing, not chopping, and always against a plastic cutting board, never a hard surface. Cleaning was by hand. I followed every instruction and acknowledged every limitation.

Inasmuch as the value of them to me would have been their ability to keep those fine sharp edges for an unusually long time, I must say I am disappointed. I will send them back to Kyocera for re-conditioning but I will not buy any more. Pity.

As an experiment, I did attempt to re-sharpen the 3 1/2" paring knife using my Spyderco tri-angle sharp-maker fine-stone which is a hard ceramic material. It helped ever so slightly. Not enough to make the attempt worthwhile.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES