SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mushcreek

It's May 2015- How is your build progressing?

mushcreek
8 years ago

April showers bring may flowers- and lots of building activity? After a lot of wet weather, I hope that the mud is drying and things are moving forward for everyone. I so enjoy watching everyone's progress while my place moves along in slow motion. Even when my place is done, I'll probably hang out here- I can't seem to get enough!

I'm working on a variety of small things, mostly things that aren't really worth a picture. As I wrap up, I'm finding a lot of small detail items that got missed or ignored along the way. I told my wife that it's easy to spot the things that I haven't quite figured out yet. One of those items is the porch columns. I finally got them done! Each upper column has 48 pieces of wood, all cut to a variety of compound angles. I do think that they are the icing on the cake, dressing up an otherwise ordinary little ranch house. I also painted the living room (BM Waterbury Green) and trimmed a window. I couldn't seem to get a good pic of the color. Eventually, there will be a rather tall wainscoting in the LR painted BM white Dove, which will brighten the room up again.

My vintage flag pole holder- actually a fishing outrigger holder, patented in 1900. I'll eventually paint it and get a pole that fits instead of the white plastic sleeve.

Still need to paint the window itself-

Comments (263)

• reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
    8 years ago

I have a roof, although I'm not loving the brown color. I didn't have a choice, the siding color and roof combo was a pre approved selection that I couldn't change. Hopefully it won't look terrible with my yellow siding.

I also have porch columns. Electrical and HVAC have started. I need to make a few lighting and outlet changes. My stairwell has a two story ceiling and they are planning to put flush mount light up there, how the heck would I ever change those? So I want the flushmount a to be changed to can lights instead, at least with those I can use the suction cup pole thing, no ladder over stairs required.

I need to decide if I want pendants over my island or just can lights. I don't want things to look too busy so I'm leaning towards the can lights. I also need to decide if I want the schoolhouse flushmount over the kitchen sink/window or a schoolhouse pendant.

This is the kitchen, the sink window is a single, straight ahead

My kitchen layout, but flipped.

What do you think, pendants or cans over island? And for the sink window, a schoolhouse flush mount or pendant?

Amber & Cpartist: the lone shutter is something I cannot change. The builder is doing shutters as an accent and I actually don't mind it. I just hope the colors, now including the brown roof, all work.

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

amberm145-I think I have expensive taste sometimes too but not on purpose! Oh yes I still hear about some things over here and we have been moved in for a year. ;) The stove is one that crops up. It's a 30" gas slide in - nothing special but dh thought it was already over the top so when I first wanted the Bosch (because it had great reviews and I liked the burner layout) he flipped a script as it was even more than the one we ended up with. Dh is dutch - I reckon it's similar to Scottish in the saving/spending category. Was the leathered really bumpy? Mine I guess I would describe as dimply but I don't mind it at all. I do like the flat vs. shiny so I am really happy with it. Good luck finding the right texture for you and in budget. It's tough.

• Related Discussions

It's May 2012 - How's Your Build Progressing?

Q

Comments (73)
    Finally have started to be installed, and I'm excited to finally have some photos to share. More in the album I just created on Photobucket, but I will drop a few into the post here: Bookcases and windowseat in library. The seat has shelves in front and storage behind. Also in the library are cabinets, TV/media space, and more shelves: Kitchen cabinets are in. There is a spot for cookbooks at the end of the peninsula. Wood will wrap around the peninsula. Stove with vent hood above it goes on the back wall. Some of the mud/utilty/laundry room cabinets are in: View of the living area and kitchen from the master bedroom showing the 5" oak floors: Going on Monday to template the granite and they hope to install that at the end of next week. Here is a link that might be useful: Our house pics
    ...See More

It's June 2015- How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (339)
    Thanks so much for the warm welcome :) it's such an exciting process! We also had our first home built from the ground up but it was a semi-detached (1600 sq ft). We loved the process so much, we did it again for our second home (single family home, 2739 sq ft). I can't wait to have more space! With two little ones, we are running out of space right now (we both love to be at home, have hobbies that are home based (I quilt and bake and my husband loves woodworking). Here is our floor plan:
    ...See More

It's July 2015- How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (307)
    Went to check out the progress today. Doors installed, finishing crown on the cabinets almost done. Floors have been taped for the painter next week. We may actually get to move in the end of July, which would be great since we have to be out of our house by August 5. It will be close!! Picture of kitchen. Walls are not painted yet. They will be SW March Wind (a light gray). After crown is done and doors on, maybe the builder will remove the "protective boxes" on my glass cobalt blue pendants:). I haven't even seen them up myself.
    ...See More

It's July 2015 - How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (2)
    I missed it. Must have been because I'm tired from the dog keeping me up last night because of the storms.
    ...See More
  • mushcreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm curious about why honed granite would stain. In my trade, we use precision flat plates made out of a dark gray granite, honed to be ridiculously flat- like .0002". They never stain, despite being exposed to various shop chemicals and oils, including a deep blue dye that we lay out steel with. We clean them with a mild detergent solution. Maybe it's the particular type of granite? It is extremely hard, even as granite goes.

I'll join the white discussion. I went with BM White Dove, in their Advance formula. That is some NICE paint. It levels so well, it looks like it was sprayed. It's definitely a warm white, but not all the way to what i would call 'creamy'. We're going to use it for trim throughout the house.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

1Mushcreek, your honing is removing high spots, creating a flat smooth, polished finish on Absolute Black. Genuine Absolute Black. Surface plates aren't matte finished, which is what the term means in the granite industry, not the machinist world. In the stone world, honing is using abrasives to remove the polished finish and leave the stone with a rougher, matte finish. It has nothing to do with making it ''flat''.

As you know, polishing anything uses a series of progressive grits to abrade the surface, with each progression leaving smaller and smaller surface scratches. It's gnlse small surface scratches that trap and hold dirt, and especially oils. So, the stone isn't ''staining'', as it's virtually non-porous, but it does hold dirt in it's texture grooves. Polished stone doesn't have the same dirt grabbing problem as the honed, because the surface texture is much finer.

• Chris
    8 years ago

@ Amber

Due to the slope of the lot, we ended up having to step our garage down as well. We originally didn't think the slope would make that much difference. I actually like the change in elevation that it made and it didn't change the dimensions of the garage at all, at least in ours.

• mushcreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Granite surface plates aren't polished, though. I don't know what you'd call the finish, but it has no shine at all. The plates are periodically resurfaced for flatness, using a cast iron plate and abrasives. I guess you'd call it a very smooth honed finish. I wish I could buy (afford) counter tops with that finish and color.

• amberm145
    8 years ago

I have read that a lot of Absolute Black counters are not actually Absolute Black, that it's a different stone called absolute black because it's so popular. And if true absolute black granite is used in industrial tools, it makes sense that something less tough is used in countertops.

Sophie, your explanation makes the most sense of everything I've heard. I have been told that they just stop before buffing, and I didn't think buffing would make a surface impervious to staining.

The texture in leathered granite depends on the makeup of the stone. At the time, I was considering Antique Brown (which looks black to me.) It's a chunky stone, lots of larger blocks of colour. So when they leather it, each block of colour had a different height. Something with small flecks would end up with an orange peel effect. Something with lots of veins would have a rippled effect. I like my smooth slate counters.

• amberm145
    8 years ago

Oh, and when we did this kitchen, I wanted laminate. When it came in, dh didn't like it and decided to go for real stone. On the new house, I wanted vinyl siding. Dh insisted on Hardie at more than double the cost. And these are things he calls MY splurges.

• Renee0829
    8 years ago

aleleux1 - We definitely are twins with the same white too. We are staining the island - supposed to be a bronze walnut. I got a call from the GC yesterday asking me to approve the stain color and when he sent me a picture I almost fainted. It looked way too dark and are granite is verde peacock (black with some iridescent green in it) and our floors are engineered wood mountain view hickory in a color called bark (hand scrapped). So I thought no way was that dark stain going to work. I drove out and picked up a sample flooring piece and then to the house.

It wasn't as bad as we thought but still not sure. I'll post a pic and you all can weigh in.

End of Island with Floor Sample

Island, cabinet door on right and Floor Sample on left

• User
    8 years ago

We are now within 3 weeks of completion and I am about half crazy at this point. There seems like so much to do and the contractor and project manager are turning cranky. I keep my phone calls to one per week and the reason for that call is we had fallen 10 weeks behind while I trusted the pros to do their jobs. Now I just want this all over with. But when something looks wrong in the photos, well, that's all I have and I need to bring it up.

We are having the home inspected prior to the completion date. This seemed to come as a complete surprise to them but they recovered from their shock and put their game faces on. I explained that it was difficult for us to assess the work from 1400 miles away and that paying cash did not provide us with the various checkpoints along the way that a bank loan might have. I mean really...I have been so trusting through this whole process. Am I out of line to bring in an inspector?

Meanwhile, back at the hotel 1400 miles away, it is costing me $150 a day to keep our lives in stasis like this. But whatever, it will soon be over!

Hey ChicagoDreamer - have you recovered from your ordeal? Let us know! I guess everyone is just so relieved to have the whole sorry process over with that they disappear on us!

Good luck all!

• amberm145
    8 years ago

Renee, I'm a painted cabinet kind of girl, so take my opinion for what it's worth. I think you need more contrast with the floor.

jn3344, I have always said if I bought a new build house, I'd have it inspected. And here, we now have a legal requirement to have the house inspected by a 3rd party. The law says we can't get a building permit without having a "new home warranty". This is a giant scam where the builder (us) has to pay a ridiculous fee to an insurance company so that if the homeowner (us) has an issue with the house that the builder (still us) refuses to fix, the homeowner (us) can complain to the insurance company and they will force the builder (have I mentioned this is us?) to fix it. Yes, the law says I have to buy insurance in case I ever have a dispute with myself. Part of the "service" they offer is inspections on top of the inspections done by the city. So no, I don't think you're out of line to bring in an inspector before possession.

Mushcreek, I love Advance paint. We have done the doors in our current house with that. I've also used it on a bathroom vanity, 2 dressers, and some of the trim. I'm not a BM fan in general, but that's a great paint.

• pwanna1
    8 years ago

Renee...I had my own issues with staining my island and liking the stain with the floor color. I finally decided I would just paint all of my cabinets instead of just the perimeter.

As far as whites are, we ended up with SW 'creamy' for our trims and SW alabaster for our ceilings...I wanted an off white but not yellow and creamy seemed to meet that criteria. We've been very happy with the color.

• zettlerc
    8 years ago

Renee-I think it looks fine. My husband keeps reminding me that people aren't really going to notice(unless they've been on these boards ;)). He'll asked me-"do you remember if so and so's powder room's floor matched the cabinets"? The reality is no-which helps when I get so overwhelmed with picking the "right" choice.

I had to laugh at him yesterday though. Our granite bid from the cabinet guy came in much higher than our builder had speculated. Builder said we should shop around-which is what we did yesterday. As we start out, dh said "we are only going to price Astoria"(which is what we had picked out after an hour at the granite place. We get to the new granite place and he's like a kid in a candy store-his eyes light up and he says "let's just take a look around". I was so done with looking at granite, but I'm glad he's interested in picking out finishes.

I think we finally have the hardwood floor, laminate and carpet picked out-unless dh decides we need to look further :)

• musicgale
    8 years ago

jn3344- The last few days are like going around the dark side of the moon- and the, swinging around full speed ahead towards home. Yes, I think it might be a good idea to bring your friend, the inspector:) The days of niceties may be over if you sense a change of mood in your contracter.

Reesepbc- Hang in there on the exterior. You guys are making good progress. Really like the kitchen layout and the window over your sink in there.

Countertops... they were a pain in more ways than one. But, with regard to the honed granite perimeter I chose, there has been only one real scare and that was on the occasion of my first "party", when someone set down a hot cast iron moist/oily pot lid directly down on the countertop adjacent to the stove. It left a ring. I didn't realize that Joe Shmoe Granite left without sealing the stone. So, I removed all the counter items and did it myself until water beaded off the stone. The ring disappeared and the funny thing is, the worst thing about the counter now is that I can't tell when I have to wipe it down. It looks clean even when it's not. I think that has a lot to do with the color.

Today's project was putting up ladder hooks in the garage. I couldn't get the screws all the way into the 2x4s even though I drilled pilot holes. Anybody know any gadget to remove stripped screws?:(

• Renee0829
    8 years ago

Thanks for the comments amberm145, pwanna1 and zettlerc. DH and I told the GC that if there isn't a way to lighten it a tad to just leave it and we'll be fine. It has more red tones to it than the floor so hopefully it won't look like one big blob.

On a good note, the flooring people came and measured everything and the counter people came and did the laser template too. I think once the painters are done things will be rocking right along.

Still waiting on GC to give me the schedule so that I can see a firm move-in date and I can give our move-out date to the leasing company.

• Amber
    8 years ago

Chris how far up was yours? Any pics? Ours was almost four feet high until they dropped it and added steps into the garage from the mudroom area. My biggest concern with this is we have a wrap around porch that we don't want railings on......... So It can't be higher than 18 inches. We want to be able to step right off of our porch to go to the barn, etc. I'm not seeing how he's going to make that happen since they just brought in several more loads of clay. I shot him a text double checking, hopefully he can get back to me soon.

• amberm145
    8 years ago

Anybody know any gadget to remove stripped screws?:(

Bob Vila used to have a commercial selling something for this. Through Sears?

• User
    8 years ago

I bought that kit for stripped screws at HD for a bit less than $20. It didn't work for me but ymmv. I was using it on a stripped lock screw.

• golfergirl29
    8 years ago

reesepbuttercup, I'm one of those who don't like pendant lights because I don't like the visual clutter. I fall in love with certain pendants, but I don't want to obstruct any views so they're a no go. I'm also using cans over the sink. Personal preference, I think.

• HappyValleyHome
    8 years ago

Just stopping in to say hi to all the peeps who were around when we were in the crazy build phase....some of the homes that were just getting started are looking great! we have been in 5 1/2 months and are getting settled nicely....we are finally finishing up landscaping and trying to grow grass in the driest spring we have had in years! Starting to get some baby grass, though!

• A Lleux
    8 years ago

HappyValley, your home is gorgeous!!!

• zorroslw1
    8 years ago

I wish we were 5 1/2 months in:(

• Liz888
    8 years ago

Jn3344- still here, live and kicking. We moved in last week and our walk through list is 5 pages long. What's also ridiculous is they fix one thing and break another. For ex: They were installing towel holder on the vanity wall which had subway tiles and cracked a tile while drilling. Then they tried to replace the tile and dropped their tool and cracked my countertop. Isn't this ridiculous?!! At this rate, they will never be out of our house.

Jn3344 - I know how you feel. I reached that point of just getting it done long time ago. I would highly recommend getting your house inspected. My GC didn't like it but we found so many things we wouldn't have caught without professional inspection.

I promise I will post pics. It's just that our house is such a mess!!

Looks like everyone's build is progressing!! Hang in there!! Despite the heartaches, we love our house!

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    8 years ago

@HappyValleyHome Beautiful!! I love the landscaping. We don't have any to speak of, which really in my world is a good thing, b/c I'm terrible at upkeep. But I always envy those with awesome landscaping! Gorgeous home! Enjoy it :)

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

Hey loribug - waving hi! :) We are planting all perennials for that same reason. Last house we had so much upkeep it was terrible - but it did look nice. Hehehe.

Happyvalley-looks fanstastic! Take heart - we don't have grass yet either and we have been in a year! The weather and replacement of cement and shingles did not help. By the end of July I am hoping it will be planted!

zorrow-you will be. No worries. Just keep plugging away. It seems like forever but it will eventually be over.

chicagodreamer-please do post pics!

• zettlerc
    8 years ago

Happyvalley-your house is gorgeous. Can't wait to see the inside.

They started putting the lathe on the exterior of the house yesterday! So excited-electrician is almost done we added a few more can lights-my husband is a bit can light happy so we have lots of them. We will have the dreaded swiss cheese ceilings-guess I just won't look up.

I love the positive nature of these threads. The critiques on the other threads, while helpful, had me feeling hesitant to share things. thanks.

• toriat
    8 years ago
    My house is going up. Moving along with the foundation pouring. Since my new house is about a mile from my existing house, I drive by frequently. I'm still picking out stuff. Most is done but a couple of loose ends. I'm thinking of painting my powder room medium grey. It will have a dark oak floor, dark maple vanity, granite counter top to be determined. White toilet. Thinking about a small chandelier and antique silvery framed mirror. Will gray be too drab?
  • zorroslw1
    8 years ago

I am painting the master light gray also. Medium/dark vanity and grayish beighish LVT (luxury vinyl tile) geesh,cost of that tile was almost as much as my wood floors. I decided that if it doesn't look right, I can repaint once we are moved in. Not that big a deal for me.

• zorroslw1
    8 years ago

Well, I finally am posting an updated picture of our retirement house build. They are starting the brick on the front, drywall is almost ready for primer and then paint and the screened in porch in back is getting the cedar wood sealed with a slight colorant in the sealer that makes the cedar really pop! We hope to get moved in by mid July or so, probably the "or so".

• User
    8 years ago

@ChicagoDreamer - Happy to hear! At least you are in there. Sounds like the Keystone Cops are doing your tile. How frustrating...

My latest indignity: Wednesday night "We will update you with progress reports daily. Pictures tomorrow..." So Thursday - nothing. Friday - nothing. Another weekend where I have to fret. Supposedly moving in 2 weeks from Monday! What are the odds you think?

We at least leave this state a week from tomorrow so there's that to look forward to. A change of hotel if nothing else.

He's giving me all this extra time and excess nervous energy to search attorneys. Not smart! Why not update the poor customer when you say you are going to? Not the first time this has happened. It is business as usual for them.

• Anne
    8 years ago

@amberm145: hah, I think I can accurately call our cabinets "harsh white" :) Oh well, as long as they are white! I've wanted white cabinets for forever.

@michelle: Yes, so exciting! We close the last week of June, and we have an inspection in a couple weeks, so I think everything should pretty much be done by then! Can't wait!

@reesepbuttercup: I love pendants over islands. Personal choice, as someone else mentioned. But yes, if you go that route, maybe small ones so it doesn't look crowded?

@jn3344: I'm a total newbie to home building, but I'm surprised that your contractor is surprised you're getting an outside inspection. I thought that was a pretty standard--and safe--thing to do. *Especially* if you're living 1400 miles away!! We're getting one.

@HappyValleyHome: So nice to hear your update! It looks like you do not have in-ground sprinklers, is that right? I'm going to have to search for / start a sprinkler thread. We will have sod and seed and will not have an irrigation system, and I don't know anything about keeping grass alive, or how many sprinklers we'll need, or how often to water it… "a lot" is all I know at this point ;)

• musicgale
    8 years ago

• amberm145
    8 years ago

Damn you and your weather to justify a pool, musicgal! :)

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

Ohhhh Musicgal I am coming over-gators or not! It looks beautiful! Michiganders have about 2 1/2 months a year for pool weather so I am with ya Amberm. Not hardly worth it.

• Amber
    8 years ago

A heated pool, maybe? ;) musicgale, I LOVE your pool!!

• A Lleux
    8 years ago

Musicgale, that pool looks magical!

We are on the schedule to finally get our countertops installed on Wednesday. We've been trying to get them in for a while, but the rain is relentless. Our tile work starts on the 15th. If we have our permanent electricity and air conditioning by then, they will also put in the hardwood floors and carpet, but if we don't, we'll have to wait until July 6th for them to do that. We are ready for our electricity to be pulled in (passed final electrical inspection), but we hit a little snag, which is my latest issue.

When we hired our electricians it was in our contract for them to install an automatic transfer switch for standby generator and hook up the generator. We were to provide the actual equipment. After we got started building we decided not to do the generator at this time because I panicked with money flying out left and right. We are nearing the end of the build and decided to see if we could go ahead and wire in the transfer switch and run underground conduit to where the generator will sit before we pour our driveway. This would allow us to come in next year and put the actual generator, have a line plumbed to the main propane line (generator will be next to buried propane tank behind the house), and hook it up. Our electricians have become authorized Generac dealers since we started our build so are now selling the products and doing installs. We decided to get a quote from them. Holy hell....they want to do all kinds of stuff and are wanting 11K. Just to trench and run 70 foot of conduit now (no wire) was $1300!!! We can rent a trencher and purchase all the pieces we need for $200. Sure it's a day's work, but wow. I didn't try to get them to come down on their price or anything. Just decided to go back to the first place we ever spoke to before we started building. It would end up costing us right at 7K with them. Same exact generator. We do have to run the electrical wire 70 ft from the transfer switch to the generator and it's really expensive so that's why it's a little higher. We can swing 7K, but not 11. Now our electricians are refusing to install if we provide materials because they are selling the product now! Now it's a little more work for them because they didn't wire it in from the beginning, but we offered to pay the difference in labor. Despite it being in our contract from the beginning, we decided to get them to install just the transfer switch, we can run the conduit and come back to get the generator wherever we want later. They found out that we talked to the other guys so basically said, "we're not putting a transfer switch on your house. Period." They won't let us get another electrician to do it because they say they won't pull our main power in. If we wait and do it after the main line is pulled in, it's going to cost us about 1K extra because they have to rewire the cable that runs from the meter to the panel through the attic since our panel is located in a different location than the actual meter. After battling with the owner of the company for two days they've agreed to provide just the transfer switch and install it. So glad they came around, but I'll never recommend them to anyone again. The owner is a friend of a friend so that made the whole thing awkward as well. This has all caused a delay in pulling the power in and now they have to order the ATS, which they don't keep in stock. Who knows when we'll have power.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Mushcreek, can I ask what is the height of your columns in front and what is the depth of your eaves on the gable sides?

• Renee0829
    8 years ago

Aleleux1 - I feel your pain, so sorry!

We finally got a schedule from our builder, it says occupancy July 3rd :-)

Things are going crazy fast now. Painters are priming and going at it fast! Counters go in on the 9th, tile starts on 10th, appliances deliver on 16th, final electrical on 17th, final plumbing and HVAC on 18th and carpet and hardwoods install on 29th. I'm excited but reserved because they still have to get the water line ran from the well and septic in, with all this darn rain I'm not sure things will go as planned. We've only had 4 days in May with no rain!

• mushcreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My columns measure 98" from the porch slab surface. The visible stone is about 40", but goes up inside the lower trim about 4". I wanted to go higher with the stone, but I had to fight with the mason for every inch. He wanted to A) Use flat Tennessee stone, and B) Wanted to only go 24" high. I was originally going to cap them with concrete, and then build the upper part, but it was too complicated figuring out how to do that, so I capped them with PVC 'wood' instead. The stone part is about 24" wide, the upper part tapers from 16" down to 10" wide.

All of my roof overhangs are about 24", but they look bigger because the house is so small. As we have said in your other threads, Craftsman details have to be done right. I know I missed in a few places, but I was just trying to dress up a very ordinary small ranch house on a tight budget. I studied real Craftsman homes around here, as well as 'Craftsman inspired' homes, which in general are very wide of the mark. Most of the modern 'copies' seem to have details that are too small- overhangs, columns, and roof brackets. On bigger houses, these have to be quite large indeed. My roof brackets are made from rough cut 4X6 cypress, so they are a full 4X6 inches. New homes nearby are much bigger than our place, but the roof brackets are made from milled 4X4, which is only 3-1/2" square. Couple that with 16" overhangs and puny porch columns, and the effect is lost.

One thing our house should have is a forward-facing gable on the porch, but I went for the shed roof to make the house blend into the woods better. There are a lot of houses (not Craftsman) around here with long, low shed roofs over the porch, so it fits the vernacular well. I call it 'Low Country Craftsman' so I can sound like I know what I'm talking about LOL!

• Zoe52
    8 years ago

Been MIA since last month when we moved in the end of April. We had just moved in and had out of town family visitors who had planned on coming before we were finished. (We thought we would have been in earlier) Plus, we were dealing with a lot of punch list items. Builder was still trying to finish cabinets before we got into the house. So had to deal with no doors or glass in cabinets at first. Finally got finished with the electrician. Now all the fans and exterior lights work. The painter still has some work to do on the exterior and some more interior touch ups. Our screened porch finally was finished this past week before we got eaten alive by the skeeters. We have also had a number of deliveries for furniture we ordered from various places. And we adopted a new kitten who was very sick the last week and is finally getting back to normal. So we have had our hands full until now.

Here are some pictures taken by a professional photographer of the front and back of the house a couple days after we moved in. Once I get the painters tape off the walls for the painter's touch ups I will try to add more indoor pictures.

The front entryway

Front of House

The back of the house early twilight

The Back of the house..... before my screened porch was finished.

The back during the day

• musicgale
    8 years ago

Amberm and autumn- you have a standing invitation:) Really worked on it this past week to get it spotless and ready for summer.

Happy Valley- your house is stunning. Love the way it nestles into the slope.

Aleleux- Such a pain, these guys. After months of waiting for our company to finish the outdoor lights, they are in a really big hurry for their money (which really should have been part of their original fee because the work was on the blueprint when they bid)- So happy to have the work done finally, I don't mind paying for it at this point. We used a slightly delayed electronic payment. That pound of flesh is rolling in at leisure:-)

• Michelle
    8 years ago

Zoe! It's beautiful!!! Need interior pics.

• reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
    8 years ago

Front door, side door & porch overhang are in. Side door should match the front door, trying to decide if I care or not. I think it may end up bugging me too much to not have them match.

Inspections should happen early this week and then drywall and siding can begin.

• Amber
    8 years ago

Reeses - It would bother me, but I really love the look of the front door. I very, very highly doubt anyone would notice! Actually, I just saw it in another house and it didn't bother me at all. But in my house I would obsess over it.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I'd probably insist they be the same but then again I'm on houzz obsessively.

• A Lleux
    8 years ago

Laundry room question:

On one side we have uppers and lowers across the whole wall. On the other side (pictured) is a broom closet with a sink cabinet next to it. Then we have a top loader washer and dryer. I just have a shelf/rod over washer and dryer, but no uppers on that wall at all. Really wishing we had done some open shelving or something because now I can't decide to backsplash or not to backsplash. Not sure there is any way to do it that it would look okay. If we did, we would probably use what we are using in the kitchen: 3x6 cream colored glazed ceramic subway. Do I really need it? If so, how can I make it not look weird without any uppers?

• amberm145
    8 years ago

I prefer your side door. But do you want a front door with that much glass? That's what my front door looks like, and I plan to get a frosting over the glass for privacy. I would have preferred less glass but I was limited by needing a 7' door, needing something modern, and an apparently irrational hatred of traditional moulding around windows in doors. The back door was supposed to be the same. But we wanted a keypad on the back door, and the keypad wouldn't fit on the all glass door. So my back door has half glass, with the dreaded trim. I dislike it because my cheap, 25 year old Home Depot doors have it, and yet it's still on every door out there.

Back at the old house, we're working hard to get it ready to sell. One of the items on the list was to scrub mold off the back door. It's a French door from the basement to the back yard. It's 100% shaded by the deck above. And now that I've had to scrub that trim, I detest it even more. :P

Another task this weekend was painting the stairwell to the basement. I had quite the collection of quarts of white paint. The walls were off white and probably haven't been painted since the house was built 25 years ago. So I mixed my quarts together and used it in the basement. I kind of like the colour I created. :D

• zorroslw1
    8 years ago

Amberm145

I am getting our house ready for sale also. Our real estate lady will be coming to the house Wednesday morning to talk to us about putting it on the market, hopefully by this Friday. I need to paint a small part of the front porch that has some peeling paint. Cleaning somewhat before the meeting, but The house is kept pretty clean as a whole so I am not going to stress too much about it. Mostly the kitchen and the bath, as they say "kitchens and baths sell the house".

• mushcreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, and they were a lot of work! There is a steel column inside; then the stone, which is filled inside with concrete. The upper columns have 48 individual pieces in each one, most with compound angles. It took me a long time to figure it all out.