SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeebee_gw

Went to a Wolf SubZero product demo last night

zeebee
12 years ago

It was a much softer sell than I was anticipating. All cooking was done on the wall ovens, the induction cooktop, the electric grill module and the deep-fryer module. The steamer module and the electric cooktop were demo'd but not used for the meal. The food was surprisingly hearty - DH said they'd blow us off with something easy/fast like fajitas, but we had pizzas, dumplings and short ribs for appetizers; broiled salmon, pork loin, roasted root vegetables and roasted potatoes and mushrooms for the entree; chocolate fondue and chocolate-chip cookies for dessert. Oh, and wine!

The chef highly praised the electric wall ovens, and baked three sheets of cookies on convection to demonstrate how even the bake is. I have to admit, that oven rocked.

The electric cooktop got short shrift, and he said it will probably be discontinued in the next ten years as induction catches on. He boiled a pan of ice to demonstrate the speed of induction cooking (3 minutes 30 seconds), and also showed a pan of chocolate chips that had been melting all day and weren't scorched or sticking.

The biggest disappointment was that none of the gas ranges or cooktops were "live", so even though all the configurations (cooktop, rangetop, range, all with grill and/or griddle) were on display for handling, none of them got fired up.

I was surprised by the huge number of people who'd never heard of induction, and by how little people cooked. There were jaws hanging open at the cookies "from scratch", and one participant watched the chef make the salmon (take filet out of fridge, salt and pepper to taste, put under broiler) then asked for the recipe! Typical New Yorkers, heh heh.

All in all, a nice way to spend a couple of hours. I am still not (yet) seriously considering induction but the demo was an eye opener, and those wall ovens were all they're cracked up to be.

Comments (5)