SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kudzu9

Best photo editing software

kudzu9
15 years ago

I used to use Microsoft Digital Image Suite 9 and it met my needs. However, I have a new computer running Vista Home Premium 64 Bit, and the Digital Image Suite is not compatible with the new OS. I can't buy a newer version as Microsoft has discontinued this software. Within the Vista OS they do have something called Windows Photo Gallery which provides only the most basic corrections, and a slightly more advanced version for free download called Windows LIVE Photo Gallery...but that's also rudimentary. I don't want or need something with all the bells and whistles, but I do want to have some tools like the cloning brush, resizing, etc. What is a good program (hopefully free) that I can install that does more than a basic job. A friend recommended Google's Picasa. Is that a good choice, or are there other, better choices available? Thanks.

Comments (35)

• owbist
    15 years ago

Gimp is freeware but has a steep learning curve. Highly recommended by users
    PhotoFitre is a newer kid on the block but I have read many good reports about ti.
    PaintNet is another that has had good write ups.

Of course you will need to find the one most suited to your individual needs. I use Corel PhotoPaint that I got on eBay for $100.

• iowagirl2006
    15 years ago

I use the latest (and last) version of your software. It is compatible with VISTA, but you must get the correct version.

If you can find it - get Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 Anniversary Edition. It must be the Anniversary Edition to work with VISTA. There is a plain 2006 edition - it is not compatible.

I do see a couple actions on eBay - but the buy it now one is $149. Yikes!! I paid less than $30 for mine - but the demand is high.

I think MS made a huge goof when they discontinued it. It is an easy program to use - and very powerful. They said the features would be available in VISTA - but it is not.

Try searching Amazon also for DIS 2006 Anniversary - they might have more copies.

PhotoShop Elements might be your next best bet, but it is not at all similar to DIS - I don't like it. It does all the same things that DIS will do, but with more steps and more memory requirements.

• Related Discussions

Photo Editing Software

Q

Comments (19)
    The problem on graphic loaded threads is avatars, over-sized pictures, fancy signatures, cartoons, etc. can cause difficulty, delay, and pure frustration for DUN members, low end "high-speed" members and those with unreliable/varying speeds. Not all members have reliable middle to high end dsl or cable. So for as long as I can remember members as a courtesy whenever possible have reduced pictures and refrained from loading up posts with graphics. When a member cancels viewing a thread because the thread takes too long to load or doesn't load all members lose. DA
    ...See More

Free Photo Editing Software?

Q

Comments (2)
    fFor photo editing I have found that "Photoscape" is without question the most powerful and most user friendly program that I have ever used. PHOTOSCAPE is a free download from Google and it is totally free of spyware, malware or the other none sense we commonly find with free downloads. to find a download site just put the name photoscape in your homepage search bar.
    ...See More

the best picture edit software

Q

Comments (6)
    Free download Frame Fun. Very basic frames, easy to use software. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/framefun.html The Gimp is probably the best editing software you will find for free. It can do about as much as the earlier versions of Photoshop Elements. The secret is, ALWAYS work with a COPY of your photo, never the original. And be fearless and try everything. If Gimp just doesn't appeal to you, how about Picasa? Free, basic editing and organizing. It will import from camara, resize photos, sharpen the colors, lighten/darken, change to B&W/sepia, etc. It's also a pretty good organizer, uses thumbnails to help you find your pictures. Infranview and Serif Photo Plus are both free and easy to use. Both do a pretty good job of editing but aren't real great for organizing. Google to find downloads. I have Photoshop and still use Serif because it does contrast and resizing better than PS. Those are my best recommendations.
    ...See More

Nik photo editing software is now free!

Q

Comments (18)
    Here's an example of the sort of thing that can be done with it. In the first picture, choosing to give the sky reasonable lighting ended up darkening the barn to the point where the image was delete-worthy. But Silver Efex Pro not only salvaged it, but created a dramatic image that I like a lot. Other than color removal, the only change was to the lighting.
    ...See More
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

I usually recommend the free open source GIMP I have it on my linux pc, they have versions for windows and linux.
    I have used Paint.net also on my windows pc

• kudzu9
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To everyone, thanks for those suggestions, which I'll investigate. I would still be interested to hear if anyone has anything good or bad to say about Picasa.

iowagirl-
    Thanks, but, from my research online, I came to the conclusion that DIS works only with Vista 32 Bit, and not Vista 64 Bit. If you have info to the contrary, I'd be interested.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

ohh you have 64 bit hum well you would definitely need to check all of those mentioned to see if they are compatible with 64 bit.

I have played around with Picasa a little but not enough to be able to say much about it.

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

I just got a new Canon digital elph (870) and am determined to learn some new basic photo-editing software at the same time, rather than the software that came with it. Previously, I had used the Camedia software that came with my older Olympus Camedia camera. It was easy enough to rotate and crop pictures, but I'm sure there's better out there. I have a Dell Inspiron 530 - Windows XP, 3 GB Ram.

Interesting to see Gimp recommended here. This past summer I asked about photo editing software and people were recommending Irfanview as simpler, free software than Gimp. Nobody mentioned it in this thread, so I wonder if that is no longer a preferred program. Knowing how tech-unsavvy I am, I'm not sure I should attempt Gimp yet.

I'm also fine with buying Photoshop - if it's user friendly and a good program. Picasa was recommended to me a couple of years ago by a computer tech guy - but I'm not sure he knows photographs as well as computers. Another computer tech guy I know recommended Photoshop elements (light - or LE - something like that). But again, I don't think this is their forte.

Ravencajun - you've been so helpful to me this year - and may have an idea of how untechno-savvy I am. Do you think I could easily handle Gimp - or should I consider something else?

I also wonder if Windows machines don't come pre-loaded with any good photo-editing/organizing software.

Oh, yeah, one more thing. Will I be able to take the pictures I currently have in Camedia - or the my pictures folder - and view them and edit them (and store them?) with a new photo software?

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

I'm not Raven but wonder if you gave Picassa a try? I'm not tech savvy either and find Picassa easy to use plus its great at organizing my photos. Tried Photoshop, Infanview - couldn't figure them out.

Windows does have basic photo editing, but it doesn't do much. I would give Picassa a try.

Jane

• randy_ca
    15 years ago

I'm a big PhotoFiltre fan.

Easy to Use
    Lots of Functions
    Small download
    Works with Vista, including 64 bit.
    It's Free

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

Hi, Jane. I have used Picasa a little bit. The organizing feature seemed pretty good, but the editing menus I didn't like. I didn't really experiment with it very much bc. I already knew the Camedia software so I kept resorting to what was familiar.

Until and unless I wind up with something new, I will be using Picasa in the meantime.

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

Lynn,

I still use Irfanview as my main editor. However, I must report I am just a general purpose user rather than a sophisticated one.

Plus, from my readings there is still some doubt about the long-term aging qualities and assurances of the pictures we generate. A 25 year, 30 year, lifetime guarantee is not too concrete when the products are less then ten years old and in the infancy stage. I still take pictures which mean something special to me and have them professionally done.

I also use Picasa and my pet feature there is the quick ability to create different pictures on one sheet of photo paper. This really saves the paper. It kind of reminds me of the old Photo Paper Saver application in the days of Win98.

DA

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

Sorry Lynn I just saw this, good advice given here.
    I have a good friend that calls her self a full fledged techno feeb LOL and she has really started doing some nice work with Gimp so I guess it depends on how dedicated you are to a project and how much you want to accomplish. I think Gimp is an excellent program but can be a bit hard to get used to.
    Irfanview is still one I recommend often, you can do a lot with it and it is more beginner friendly to most people.
    Picasa some people love it some hate it LOL it does have some good features and when you find helpful tutorials that makes it much easier and this site has some very good tutorials.
    Getting Started with Picasa

I personally never ever install the software that comes with cameras I find no reason to when I have what I need on the pc already and hate to add more junk software to the mix.
    My method of getting my pics from camera to pc has always been to use a usb card reader and take the pics right off the memory card to my pc and do what I want to with them there.
    I have a few websites I use quite often for simple things, One I use often is picnik and I love that it has a firefox add on for it.
    http://www.picnik.com
    Shrink Pictures

and another very good option is sumo paint which you can use online at
    SumoPaint

Snipshot
    those are a few other options to look at besides the ones mentioned.

any pictures you have saved directly to your pc hard drive in standard picture formats should be available to you no matter what you use. If you used some software that saved the pics in a very specific format to that software then they may need to be converted to jpg or a familiar format, it is rare for that to happen though.

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

i still like my roxio creator 7. it does my photos and making music CD's, converts to mp3s. it is not free, but it was only $70. at Sam's when bought. there is probably a new version out now.

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

Oh boy - so much to think about.

DA - I also like the feature of putting several pictures on a page to print. I know Picasa has it - and so does my Olympus Camedia software. I thought that was a standard feature - but perhaps not.

Randy - we cross posted and I just saw yours a little while ago. I did a little exploring and photofiltre does sound quite good.

Ravencajun - thanks for the response. I honestly don't know how dedicated I'll be to learning the software. I suppose if it was on my must-do list, I'd learn it. I've learned a lot of web/computer stuff this last year when I had to for work (or a non-profit I lead). But it's quite possible that work and family responsibilities will always pre-empt learning photo software. Don't know. Thanks for the other links. I'm very glad to know my existing pictures will still be on the computer. Camedia uses jpeg format.

I have never used a card reader. What's the advantage of that over just plugging the camera into the computer with a USB cord?

I was also reading a lot of good things about photoshop elements 7 - at least the review sites. All until I got to Amazon - where reviews are more mixed but I think the most discontent people were those who didn't think it added much to earlier versions and didn't feel they got much bang for their buck for upgrading. Which wouldn't apply to me since I have no version at all. The other complaint a few had was it was slow - not sure if that's the software or their computer.

I'll have to check out Roxio as well - although I suspect that for a similar price, I'd pick photoshop elements if I was buying.

I guess I should download a couple of free ones and try them - perhaps irfanview and photofiltre. But that's a commitment of time to experiment.

Might as well throw one more thing in there - my daughter's 9 1/2 and starting to take her own pictures. usually she just stores them on her camera and eventually erases them. But I'm thinking she might be ready to start getting them on her computer - so I also wonder which is easiest for her. Or maybe just getting them on the computer for now is plenty.

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• owbist
    15 years ago

Really you need to interpret 'photo editing', what does it mean to you? If you just want to transfer photos from a camera or scanner to the computer the software is already there. If you want to crop out wasted landscape something as simple as Irfanview will do the job. If however you intend to start removing a person, swapping heads on bodies or repairing older damaged photos the learning curve suddenly gets steeper and the need for a better quality program become evident.

Encourage you daughter by all means, children will let you know in a hurry if they are interested in a particular aspect of computing or not. You never know, it could be a great start for her.

• grandms
    15 years ago

I recently bought Roxio Creator 9 on EBay for $14.98. I think that is the next to newest version. Version 6 or 7 was on my HP computers when I bought them, so I just installed the newer version and use that.

• susieq07
    15 years ago

I've used Picasa2 now 3 for a few years and love it,found nothing equal for Free...

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

grandms you got a good buy there. if i want it on my vista laptop, i will have to buy a newer version.

• grandms
    15 years ago

stargazzer, that's what you get for having the "latest and greatest"! LOL.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

recent article over on how to geek with some good tips and tricks
    Easily Re-Size Photos in Windows Vista or XP

• iowagirl2006
    15 years ago

FWIW - to the OP - I have found a couple people who say DIS 2006 does work with VISTA 64 bit

• cboy
    15 years ago

I use Adobe PhotoShop Elements 6
    Yesterday I downloaded tried out what Randy ca posted.
    It does real good. Easier to use than PhotoShop It's free.
    After enlarging a calendar I couldn't get the dates as dark
    as I wanted but I haven't had time to use it much.
    cg

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

grandms, you are right on. LOL lets just say i haven't seen a hearse pulling a u haul yet and i am enjoying the retirement (savings) or was until i broke my arm. i don't think i will be able to go on my 24 day trip in Feb. DARN!!!!!

• owbist
    15 years ago

Cboy you might want to visit the link below for the free plug ins for PhotoFiltre - and anyone else who wants the program.

Here is a link that might be useful: PhotoFiltre plug ins

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Just curious - how do you use Roxio for photo editing? I took a look at what I have and it doesn't say anything about photos. Its for CD/DVD's.

Jane

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

when i click on roxio a menu comes up with music, data, photo, etc.. you can import, fix and edit photos, etc.. i usually do the fix and edit by clicking on it and follow the path to my photos. you can highlight one or several and go on from there.

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

Roxio CD9 has a "basic" version and a "full" version. The basic is normally bundled on systems like this HP Vista. If you activate the application and click on Photo in the menu you will see the commercial upgrade offer.

DA

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

Owbist - you articulated the decision factors beautifully. And that is what makes it difficult. Presently, all I do is load it on the camera and crop. I know I would like to be able to do some color/contrast/tone/brightening adjustments, be able to edit out troublesome aspects. Eventually, I would like to be able to clean older photos and change colors (I know I would have loved to have been able to change the colors of the walls in my house to assist with paint color choices).

Whether I'd ever get to something like swapping heads or filters, I don't know (I don't even know what filters are).

Another aspect that is important to me is good photo organizing tool. I've been reading reviews of software editing programs (many free), and the reviews don't even mention organizing photos. I'm not sure if that's bc. they all do it, so it's not the feature worth reviewing, or bc. they don't do it.

By the way, this review site is very useful - for all kinds of digital photograph questions. I'll post the link here in case others are interested: http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/photography/articles/4488.aspx.

Now if I knew how to make a tiny url of this, I would have done that. I think I even have that firefox addon, but don't know how to use it yet.

I think I'm going to try Photofiltre first. Paintnet also looked good, as did photoscape. All are free. Does anyone here know photoscape?

A couple of more questions, if that's okay.
    1) why would someone want to resize a picture?
    2) what's the advantage to having a card reader get the photos on the computer, rather than just connecting the camera to the computer via USB?

Thanks everyone.
    Lynn.

• grandms
    15 years ago

I guess everyone would have his/her own reason for resizing a picture. Certainly if you're going to e-mail a picture, it makes sense to make the size smaller so that it can be viewed in its entirety on the monitor. Also if the recipient is on dialup, sending a smaller picture won't take so long to download.

I use the cardreader built into my computer so that I don't have to bother connecting the camera with a cord, and I understand that the camera must be turned on to transfer pictures? That uses battery power. I simply find it more convenient to take the SD card out of the camera and slip it into the card reader. Even before I had a computer with a built-in card reader, I bought a reader for this purpose.

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

Grandms - thanks for the explanations. That makes sense.

I just downloaded Photofiltre - but it seems I can't directly import pictures from my camera into the Photofiltre program. At least I couldn't figure it out. So I let windows import the pictures and used Photofiltre to edit it. It does seem well laid out, but I'll have to read a little to figure it out. I tried to add text, but only came up with an empty yellow box with no words. Tried to erase spot with the magic wand and that didn't work. So I can't just jump into it and will do some reading.

Lynn.

• randy_ca
    15 years ago

Just as well that you let windows import the pictures.
    It's best to save pictures in more than one place than leaving them all on the memory card.

To import a picture with photofiltre, click the yellow folder (top left) then computer or my computer, the camera should show as a removable disk, click that and your folders on the camera will show up.

For text, click the T, type in your text, select text color and size, for large photos, you may have to use 36 size font for it to show. Once the text is on the photo, you can drag it anywhere you like. If it doesn't look good, hit the undo arrow in the top toolbar and start over.

Click file to "save as" for altered photos and change name so as not to mess up the originals.

All these photo programs take a little figuring, even the simple ones like paint.

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

Thank you, Randy. I'll have to play with the text later. I've already used your suggestion to "save as" for the altered photos so the originals remain. After my earlier post, I read more at photofiltre forums or reviews, which stated that one of the few complaints people have with this program is that it doesn't import pictures directly from the camera. If you're able to do it, perhaps that's changed since the reviews I read.

I also just discovered I have a card reader that came with the extra accessories and cards my husband got me. So I'll try using that. Thanks, grandms.

Owbist - thanks for the plug in links for photofiltre.

I also did more research (forget where), and see that there is a distinction between editing software and organizing. Perhaps photoshop does both, but it seems that photofiltre and photoscape (I think) aren't meant as organizers, but irfanview does organizing. So just another reason to try irfanview as well. (I know picasa organizes, but for some reason the oepration of that software never appealed to me - could be my inexperience or maybe it's not a good fit).

Could someone confirm or deny my thought that organizing features may not be present in some of these editing programs - and that it might mean using a different program for organizing? Or are there good ones for both. The more I read, the more it seems that people often use more than one program bc. different programs do different things. Some seem to like the combination of photofiltre and photoscape. But that might still leave a need in terms of organizing (not sure about that).

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• owbist
    15 years ago

Could someone confirm or deny my thought that organizing features may not be present in some of these editing programs - and that it might mean using a different program for organizing?

Lynn that is why some programs are only a nominal fee while others can go to $600. This was why I asked what you really wanted from a graphics program.

Give PhotoFiltre a serious try to see how you get on. Remember that if you jump from one program to another you will become confused and probably discouraged because they all work a bit differently to create the same thing. I use my Corel PhotoPaint for almost everything but still use the free Irfanview to bulk resize or rename because Corel does not offer the bulk changing option.

The link below is to Google for PhotoFiltre tutorials, find a few you like and perhaps bookmark them to aid you

Here is a link that might be useful: A list of PhotoFiltre tutorials

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

Thanks, Owbist. Very good advice to get used to one program first so I don't get confused. So I will concentrate on Photofiltre first.

Can you fill me in more on when/why I would want to bulk resize or rename files? Also, if photofiltre does not have organizing features - even though I should learn one program first, do you think I should have a second just for the organizing?

Thanks.
    Lynn.

PS - and I've bookmarked the list of tutorials.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

I have been using almost on a daily basis recently picnik, it is about the easiest I have dealt with and having the firefox add-on for it is so awesome. Plus it is all online so no need to clutter my pc with programs, and I can use it with linux too.
    Picnik Tutorial
    that is one quick little video tutorial.
    Using the create button you can do all kinds of neat stuff like adding text or frames or effects, super easy to use.
    the firefox add-on lets you right click on any pic you find online and select edit in picnik from the context menu. You can edit pics from your pc or from online.
    so anyone looking for something very quick and easy check it out.
    If you go to youtube and do a search for picnik there are a LOT of good tutorial videos.
    Picnik

Plus you can upload directly from picnik to many of the standard pic sites like photobucket, webshots, flickr, etc or email it.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

I am going to throw another one in the pile, I just learned of this one from the bbr graphics group, they are discussing it and seem to like it.

RealWorld Paint.COM
    Help Index

it is also free

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!