SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

Who draws the Plumbing Prints?

lazypup
15 years ago

Not long ago there was a thread where the originator was asking who is responsible for drawing the Plumbing Print. At that time I stated that it was the plumbers responsibility and there was a number of people who took exception to my comments.

Yesterday I happened to have a lunch meeting with one of the leading residential/commercial architects in our region and as a side note, I posed the question to him:

To my surprise he laughed and said, I like the majority of my colleagues are simply not qualified to draw the plumbing prints. He went on to say that the state law says that a Master or Journeyman Plumber must draw all plumbing prints, without exception, however the state allows two pathways to becoming a plumber.

If one sets out to become a Master or Journeyman plumber they must participate in a state approved 4year apprenticeship program. Satisfactory completion of the apprenticeship is deemed a pre-requisite to sit for the plumberÂs exam however the state also allows a second path.

If one has a four-year degree in architecture or mechanical engineering the state will accept that as a pre-requisite and allow the individual to sit for the plumbers exam. If they pass the exam they get a plumbers endorsement on their architect or mechanical engineers license and may then draw the prints.

According to the architect most prospective homeowners purchase their prints from a ready source or have the prints drawn up before they actually acquire their building lot. Understanding that every DWV layout must be custom drawn to allow for the specific conditions at the building site, it then is impossible to draw the plumbing prints until they can have a site plan available.

He went on to say that in most instances the plumbing contractor will draw up the plumbing plans but in those instances where the prospective homeowner demands a plumbing print be included in their architectural package, he like many other architects find it much more expedient and cost efficient to have a master or journeyman plumber on their staff who can prepare the plumbing prints, which are signed by the plumber who prepares them, then the architect puts his/her stamp of approval on them and they are included in the package.

Comments (4)