SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llibrahim

floor plan - please comment!

llibrahim
9 years ago

Hi,

I'm planning to build a home in a newer, nicer neighborhood where I live, on a corner lot. My husband and I have been working on the floor plans for weeks, and are just starting to get closer to what we want. We dont want to increase square footage much more than it already is. I would really appreciate responses to the following questions about our floor plans in addition to any comments you may have. Thanks a lot for helping us build our home!

1. Front of the house - How does the small window to the right of the front door look? Should we make it longer vertically?

2. Main floor master bath - I don't want the shower to eat into the closet, so I would make the shower about 4x4. Is that large enough? Or, should I change the configuration to look somewhat like the picture I've drawn? If we should go with the picture I've drawn, we'll need to increase the size by a foot horizontally my builder said. Where should this 1 foot come from (master or living)?

3. Second main floor bath - I wanted to add a transom window, but would it look weird from the outside of the home (because there are no other windows on that side)?

4. Dining area - Should I extend that back wall out further to have a separate eating area surrounded by windows, or keep it partially open to the kitchen? If I extend it, we will probably take away some square footage from the master bedroom, making it 14x16 instead.

5. Kitchen - I feel like the kitchen wall touching the garage is back too far so that the staircase wall is blocking it from being open to the living room. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

6. Basement - Does the living area where the fireplace will be look big enough for two couches?

7. Basement - I'm thinking of moving the bathroom to where the walk-in-closets are (and having the bathroom look somewhat like the main floor second bath with the tub in front of the toilet). Then, where the bathroom currently is I would expand it a couple feet to the left and/or right to be used as a kid's play area. Could I then get rid of the wall in front of the play area space (the wall that extends to the left of the stairs) to make it more open (we would not put a door to the play room) to the main living space? Or would this look silly and I should I use the space some other way?

8. Basement - Should I make the encove in the upper right corner a play area instead or a sitting area with two chairs and a table?

This post was edited by omadam on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 3:32

Comments (6)