SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honeychurch_gw

best integrated custom panel fridge?

honeychurch
14 years ago

Hi,

Looking for a fully integrated refrigerator/freezer that will accept custom panels. I want that "where's the fridge?" feeling, if you know what I mean! ;-)

So far I have narrowed it down to:

Liebherr 36" french door (I really like the look of this one but have read about the door issues)

Thermador Freedom 36" french door or bottom freezer (read somewhere about these tipping over when the doors are open?!?--maybe that's before it's installed)

Miele 36" French door--the most expensive, and I have to say that "communication with the mothership" thing kind of makes me roll my eyes, but I find very few unhappy owners

I know there is also Jenn-air, but they are not energy star-certified, and kitchenaid architect II has a much cheaper built-in bottom freezer but it does not say "integrated" so I don't know if it gives the same look.

Another caveat: I live in a small town in the middle of Pennsylvania, so I am concerned about service issues if something goes wrong. I can get the Kitchenaid from Sears or Lowes 10 miles away, and I think someone sells Miele appliances about 25 miles away, but the others are 70 miles away (liebherr dealer); 40 miles away (Thermador). And just because the sell them doesn't necessarily mean they will service them, does it?

Please tell me what you would recommend?

Thanks!

Comments (48)

• cjammer
    14 years ago

I am looking at the Thermador columns or Miele because they are integrated, people seem to like them and they are the look/size I need. I understand Jenn Air has a new integrated option, not sure if it just in the the side by side models.

I would call all of the companies directly and ask who does service in your area and google the service providers for reviews.

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good idea, christie--thanks. The jenn-air is integrated, and I think there are both french door and bottom freezer styles, but it doesn't appear to be energy star rated if that is a concern for you (it is for me, which is why I haven't considered them even though the price isn't bad).

• Related Discussions

Custom Panel on a Jenn air french door counter depth fridge?

Q

Comments (5)
    Don't buy it! The French door design of this refrigerator is seriously flawed. If you open the right door first, which most people will do, then open the left door, a normal next step, and close the right door, the left door will smash against the glass of the right door when you try to close it. The problem lies in the fact that the hinge attached to the left door does not retract far enough to clear the right door. This is my third French-door refrigerator (other brands) and I have never had this problem before. Here is what Jennair has to say in their user guide: “ There are two refrigerator compartment doors. The doors can be opened and closed either separately or together. There is a vertically-hinged seal on the left refrigerator door. ■ When the left side door is opened, the hinged seal automatically folds inward so that it is out of the way.” I bought this fridge over a year ago and have had at least three different repairmen come more than six times to try and repair it. They have changed the hinge twice, to no avail. They have installed shims to level the back of the fridge, no improvement. I called again today and they are sending a new technician to view the situation. I am not holding out much hope.
    ...See More

Help- custom paneled fridge sticks out!

Q

Comments (97)
    As rococogurl pointed out, design is not something anyone can just pick up and get right the first time. There are so many details, and a lot of math, haha! And, as she said, that is the beauty of these gw home forums! Laypeople like myself can garner a lot of knowledge and advice, both from professionals and from regular people who have learned from their mistakes. At the least, we can see what we don't know and can learn what questions to ask. I'm rebuilding a house, subfloor to roof. It's going to take ten years, unless I win the lottery or have a long lost relative leave me the family fortune, lol! Can I afford a KD (kitchen designer)? Are you kidding me?!?? It has nothing to do with not respecting the profession: I have immense respect for designers and the work they do. It has to do with what I can afford. This forum, and the others here on GW, have been invaluable! I've learned so much from all of you! Today I learned about refrigerator depths, stuff I wouldn't have thought of by myself. Thanks! And I'm glad Brittbelquist got the look she wanted without a huge expense!! YAY! :-)
    ...See More

Does a full depth, integrated, panel ready fridge exist?

Q

Comments (8)
    There's something up with your terminology. There isn't even such a thing as integrated counter depth, though I take your meaning, so to make sure we're talking about the same things: Full depth fridges are free standing. The depth depends on things like how much air space you need behind and if you're counting the handle, but they're in the neighborhood of 33" deep. Counter depth fridges are free standing. The same caveats apply about the depth. Most are around 26-27" deep. Built-in are, um, built in. Attached to the walls and cabinets. Without handles they're usually 24-25" deep. Integrated are a special subset of built-in. They are attached, and their panels meld right into the cabinetry so that the shape, or styling differences (e.g., different color door or larger handle) is the only giveaway that it's a fridge. You can put divided cabinet panels on them to make them disappear entirely. Panel ready means accepts custom door panels and hardware. It is available in some models of all kinds of fridges, though most models of built-ins have a panel ready option. For the antipasto tray, many people keep the old fridge in the garage. You can make a full depth fridge look built in, or at least counter depth by recessing it into the wall. There may be a few that can even been made to look integrated, but there might be compromises to the door if you do. I'm not sure if you meant integrated, however, since counter depth aren't... Maybe you meant paneled?
    ...See More

Handle for a custom panel fridge and freezer

Q

Comments (9)
    Are they appliance pulls? If they are appliance pulls, then there shouldn’t be any issues And yiur cabinet maker should be able to have the expertise to install securely. I have paneled refrigerator and dishwasher and my appliance pulls are still firmly attached almost three years later. My knobs and pulls were a very distinctive design and my appliance pulls complement them but aren’t identical. Based on your design, I would think there would be many designs which would work. I did a good bit of searching when I was looking for my kitchen hardware
    ...See More
  • lascatx
    14 years ago

I've read Meile is made by Thermador, so if you don't want the added electronics, stay with Thermador. I have Thermador - loved the interior arrangement and no vent above as in the SZ and KA models we were looking at. Very pleased with our decision.

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hadn't been considering the SZ 736 because somehow from my reading and research I had gotten the impression that the SZs are the most expensive and the most unreliable--a bad combination esp if service might be hard to come by...

However, I have been communicating with a few KDs and cabinet designers and they have nothing but positive things to say about SZ. I also found out last night that there is a company less than 20 miles away that services for SZ. And I am not planning in getting an icemaker, so that might eliminate a big source of problems. So now, even though it is the most expensive, it is back on the list and towards the top.

One thing--a KD said that even though other brands make integrated models, only with the SZ can you get a true sense of disappearing refrigerator...what do you all think?

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    14 years ago

Liebherr no longer has a door issue, that problem has been resolved

• clinresga
    14 years ago

Your KD is completely wrong.

Here are our Therms:

"

I'd worry about a KD who knows less about integrated fridges than most of the folks who hang out on this Forum!

• marthavila
    14 years ago

I own the Liebherr HC 2062, the very model you have been considering. I am very happy with this refrigerator and recommend it to others. With double compressors, it keeps things incredibly fresh, is extremely quiet, and has a capacity that belies first impressions. And, yes, it's fully integrated into my cabinetry. As I've said before on this forum, one of the kicks I get out of showing off my new kitchen, is having to point out to first time visitors where the fridge is located! Also, as Trevor has pointed out, the door issue on the FD Liebherr has been resolved. BTW, when it comes to purchase, I (and many others on this forum) would heartily recommend Trevor and Eurostoves. Seems to me that your biggest potential concern with the Liebherr might be service. However, if you call Liebherr national, they can quickly tell you who is the nearest Liebherr-certified technician in your area. (I know because I did that and then called up the local service company and "interviewed" them as to product knowledge prior to purchase!) :-)

Whatever you do, good luck!

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!

The cabinet maker I really want to work with says most of the fridges he panels happen to be SZ, but he has also done a few Thermadors and just did a Miele which he thought was very nice. He also mentioned Liebherr as a possibility, just that he personally had not had a chance to work on one yet.

Guess I will be making some phone calls Monday morning! :-)

• User
    14 years ago

"I've read Meile is made by Thermador"

This is not acurate. The Thermador Freedoms, the Bosch Integras, Gaggenau ref. and Miele's version are all built in a factiry owned by BSH or Bosch. Miele's is assembled on a dedicated line with many of the components being supplied direct from Miele in Germany. The differences are mainly cosmetic but the Miele's have some different internals. Toyota does this with Lexus on some of their models. the line splits at a point and higher quality components are fitted for the Lexus vehicles.

"I had gotten the impression that the SZs are the most expensive and the most unreliable"

Not correct at all!

"only with the SZ can you get a true sense of disappearing refrigerator...what do you all think?"

This is also not correct. The Thermador, Gaggenau , Bosch and Miele cousins all disappear entirely.

Liebherr, and Northland come close but their toekicks, a hint of hinge or trim is always exposed.
    Sorry Martha your model is not "Fully Integrated" you cannot cover your toekick with matching cabinetry toekick. Your manual has a drawing with a warning expressly forbidding it. This is therfore not 'fully integrated"

Yes, I know it's a nit pick and I'm sure it looks great - except to someone who is into details.

JennAir's is also nowhere close to fully integrated - I think their marketing weasels are spooning out a load of horse $#&%. Their unit cannot have toekick in front or it AND you must have a slot for the compressor to breathe at the top. All they've done jerry rigged a nice panel kit to their current offering and slapped on a "fully integrated" badge"

So - if you want a true "fully integrated" fridge your choices in the U.S. are Sub Zero's 700 series, or one of the T"dor / Gaggenau / Bosch / Miele cousins.

If you want a pretty good looking paneled ref. , then you have a lot more options.

Another thing to consider is the installation of these things. Many a look has been ruined because a designer or installer or both can't figure out how to put them in properly, and experience counts for a lot.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Yes, Antss, that was definitely a nitpick! I note that Liebherr itself markets the 2062 refrigerator as a "fully integrated" refrigerator because it blends into the surrounding cabinetry, without showing hinges or trim. Have you advised them that such claims are inaccurate? :-)

• pucca
    14 years ago

I am considering the Sub-Sero 736 TCI (36-in intergrated with icemarker); cost about $ 7000. My friends have Subsero for 15 years, both of them say they will buy it again.

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As to the toe-kick--the cabinet maker in question makes the panel for the bottom freezer pullout with the furniture feet attached! That had never occurred to me and I thought it was pretty cool. Are you saying he couldn't do that on a Liebherr because of its structure?

After more research into local possibilities, I think I have it narrowed down to one of the Thermadors or the SZ 736, simply based on a repairman being within 20 miles...though I am still waiting to hear back from Liebherr and Miele about where their service people are based.

• User
    14 years ago

Martha - they have been made aware of it and they don't care. It's like the risk managers on a product liability case. It's cheaper to deal with the few complainers than fix the problem, as most of the public are sheep.

They have also been in and out of NA 3 times in the last 15-20 years. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy doesn't it?

Honey - without seeing your cabinet maker's panel I can't comment on the Liebherr except to say if it blocks the toekick area and you have a problem , the suits will most likely kick a warranty claim for "improper installation"

Nothing may ever come of it, but how will you feel if it does? The other makes are not that much more expensive and don't have such limitations, so I can never really fathom the appeal of the Liebherrs especially since their build quality is not as robust.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Antss, you make some really good points at times. But the problem I have with the way you post is that you also can't seem to help yourself from taking snide, sarcastic potshots at consumers and others who see things differently than you do. Honestly, if you were to try for a bit more tact and diplomacy in your remarks, I think your credibility rating on this forum would soar considerably.

As I see it, Liebherr makes a 7' tall refrigerator which, when paneled, has no exposed hinges or trim and blends into the surrounding cabinetry -- except for a mere 4" of an exposed ventilation grille at the very bottom of the fridge in the toekick area. Gee, having seen "fully integrated" refrigerators by other manufacturers that have exposed toekick areas (including Clinresga's beautiful Thermador?), seems to me you are going out of your way to take issue with Liebherr on this matter. Surely you are making straw man arguments when you attempt to draw analogies between Liebherr's refusal to cease marketing the HC 2062 as a "fully integrated" refrigerator to that of risk managers romancing the odds of a product liability case. Puhleeze.

Look, we all get that you aren't a fan of Liebherr. But hinting that the people who buy it either don't appreciate details or are like sheep is plainly rude posting behavior. Here's a tip: there's at least one other appliance dealer on this forum who has gained my respect (and that of so many others) because he does more than share a wealth of information with consumers. Indeed, he's got a warm, professional style that wins friends and influences people! And, at base, he sticks to the facts and avoids taking unnecessary potshots at forum members (even when he thinks they are clueless). Try it sometime. You just might like it. I know a lot of us would!

• panchoandlefty
    14 years ago

According to Henrybuilt, the custom cabinet makers in Seattle who do a lot od integrated design;

Sub Zero integrates the best. The have the most experience and the simplest design.

Thermador/Gaggenau are basically the same appliances with different trim. Both integrate well, but are difficult to install b/c the doors do not come on the fridges. Many installers charge extra to put on the doors ($200ish) so include that in pricing.

Bosch Integra columns were discontinued last spring.

Lots of people like Liebherr. They integrate pretty well. For me, there wasn't enough fridge space in the french door 36" model as the freezer is really tall and eats up space. With 3 little kids, I needed more room for tall items like milk and pitchers of lemonade. I was looking at the 48" models which are really two 24" SBS units.

My designer checked out the Jenn Air and liked it. They believed it would integrate well.

• clinresga
    14 years ago

martha: actually, the picture I posted was towards the end of the reno, but since then our contractor has indeed cut a piece of trim that mounts with velcro over the toekick area. So, actually we are fully integrated :-)

As for antss: I actually find him more credible, exactly because of his no holds barred, straight shooting opinions. If you review his long history of posts, most of which I've found extremely useful, you'll see that for him, there are no "sacred cows." He's the antidote to the common newbie "some company makes just the best [fill in the blank appliance]--I know because my sales guy at the appliance store told me!!!" post. Unlike some dealers who post, he has no profit motive behind pushing one specific brand. He always supports his opinions with facts and experience. Give me a guy who will give me the real story, even if it means he'll tell me I'm an idiot, when I am, over some hoity-toity, cutesy-wootsy kitchen designer who couldn't tell an integrated fridge from a dishwasher. Dealers too can be great references, but the likelihood of one criticizing a product he/she sells is small.

Stephanie: SZ may integrate the easiest, but not the best. The final result of a T'dor integration is equal in every way to the SZ. And with a competent installer it is not a big deal.

• User
    14 years ago

martha - you must have a thin skin, be very sensitive or are having a bit of remorse about the product. I was not taking a pot shot at you in my post, there are several threads around here where I actually go after people and they know it.

Like clinres says, I'm just blunt and a straight shooter. If I don't like something I' tell you EXACTLY why. You, as a smart consumer can use that info any way you choose in making your decision. My comment about appreciating details and the public as sheep is a broad ,but true, generalization. Decisions that are anti-consumer at best or unethical/illegal at worst are made every day in boardrooms across the country to generate profits and if you think that the "herd's" reaction isn't discussed you are naive. Take B of A's latest sliding scale credit card fee program. They are going to charge random card holders a random fee and see how many complain, those that don't just re-inforce the bottom line. Smart money is betting that the fee stays, despite it's absurdity and horrific timing.

As to the 4' toe peeking through - that's a detail that our client's just won't put up with, I'm dealing with one now on a wine cooler that cannot have a cabinet toekick in front and we told them from the get go. There are also no alternatives in the size and configuration needed. They are not happy now it's in and can't understand why someone doesn't make a full integrated undercounter wine cooler w/door. Many people are very happy with what you have, others are not. I was merely saying it's been my experience that those that do care are detailed oriented people, because that 4" is a "detail"

Martha- I'm also not going out of my way calling out Liebherr but rather anyone that calls a non fully integrated fridge "fully integrated" . You'd be sore if you were sold a cabinet depth fridge as a "built-in" fridge wouldn't you? Well some might - and do argue that a cabinet depth unit is built in , especially if surrounded by panels. But it's not the same by a long shot.

Oh, I think you were the one that started the jabs when you asked if I'd contacted Liebherr about their little error - like I'm the fully integrated police. What ever happend to do the right thing on you own? (meaning Liebherr , so we're clear)

Clinres- thanks for defending my honor - what little there is of it :^0

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Antss, I hear you and, having said my piece just as bluntly as you, I'm even willing to retreat a bit on my remarks. Truth is, for personal reasons, I probably am feeling a bit over sensitive these days. And, yes, while I possibly overreacted to your "broad generalizations" about the public being sheep who don't care about details (unlike your customers) -- that certainly didn't happen because I'm feeling remorse about my Liebherr! Fact is, I love my 2062. It performs great, looks great, and is "sufficiently integrated" with my cabinetry with it's 4" of exposed toe kick area and all!) :-) Just so you know, Antss, I consider myself to be a straight shooter as well. However, there's a difference between straight shooting and machine gunning. While I welcome the former, I've got low tolerance for the latter. Tonight, when you pulled your trigger, you pulled my trigger as well.

Ok 'nuff said. No need to go to war on this. :-) Peace out!

• megradek
    14 years ago

I love my integrated Subzero 700s (27" freezer and 27" fridge). The units are extremely quiet, noone knows where our fridge is and keeps everything fresh and cold. The top shelf is taller than most fridges, but it really hasn't been a problem for me (I'm only 5'5"). HTH

pics of fridge only

• User
    14 years ago

martha - I was never looking to antagonize you. I just don't want future readers to think that the Liebherr is "fully integrated" when they search or come across this post. You know how folks get "I read it on the internet" syndrome.

"Fact is, I love my 2062. It performs great, looks great, and is "sufficiently integrated" with my cabinetry with it's 4" of exposed toe kick area and all!) "

This is exactly what makes America great, we have access to so many choices and still have the option to choose something different.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

Miele owner here and mine (both all fridge and all freezer units in separate locations) are completely integrated including toekick. Most people who have never been in my kitchen before don't know where the fridge is. I've been asked if it's out in the garage on more than one occasion.

And people who knew my old kitchen think that the freezer is the pantry as we got rid of the old pantry with bifold doors and installed the freezer there instead. :)

Here's the fridge

{{gwi:1417874}}

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, heard from the Miele customer service rep today and there is NO ONE in my area to service one should something goes wrong....so they are now officially off my list for DW, Fridge, cooktop, and ovens. Too bad.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

Honeychurch, does your appliance store that sells the Miele's have Miele trained technicians? Where are you located?

I will admit that we've had technicians out to our house a handful of times in the past 18 years we've owned Miele appliances but I will say that a couple of times they've diagnosed and fixed the problem over the phone through the interface with the actual appliance ie, dishwasher panel or oven keypad.

Did you ask them how a repair would be handled in the event of a problem if there are no techs in your area? My SIL lives in rural Colorado and has Miele appliances. She has to wait longer for a service call but she has always gotten what she needed. Ok it was only once, but a tech from Denver eventually drove out that way and fixed her DW.

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am in central PA and the nearest place to sell and service Mieles is 62 miles away; the customer service rep who called me said he'd spoken to them and they said they would sell me an appliance and even deliver it, but they would not agree to service it as I am outside of their service area; The rep said the only other company in the area (service only) also declined to make the trip. I just don't think it's worth the hassle if I have other options with nearby sales and service (thermador and subzero).

BTW the appliance company that sells the Thermadors and Subzeros (and other Bosch apps I am looking at) is actually FURTHER away than the one who sells Miele, and they said even though I am "just outside" their regular service and delivery area, they would make an "exception" for me (for installation and service, though there is also a company about 15 miles away who services Bosch, Thermador, and SZ for another option)....I'm sure the thought of my dropping $12000 or $13000 in their store is good incentive! lol

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

LOL, $12000 can be VERY good incentive. Make sure you get any service agreements in writing though especially as it sounds like you're off their beaten path.

I'm sure you will love whichever appliance brand you go with - they are all good quality.

May I suggest that as, IIRC, none of these brands allow competitive pricing, that you "bargain" with your retailer and have him include extended warranties on ALL the items you purchase no matter the brand. Essentially extended warranties cost the retailer nothing or very little and if it will make or break the sale they are often willing to include them at no charge. Then your service is covered if you need it.

Our retailer did that for us on everything we bought and gave us a free Microwave drawer (sharp) as well.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

BTW, Honeychurch, since you sound like you may be leaning away from Liebherr, these photos may be irrelevant to your decision-making process. However, since you've now seen the fully integrated SZ, Therm and Miele, I suppose I should at least go ahead and show you how the fully integrated (er. . .excuse me "sufficiently integrated" ) Liebherr HC 2062 looks in a real kitchen. I'm thinking that, if not helpful to you, these photos may offer some practical insight to others who may now be wondering about the differences in custom panel "integration" between these various fridge manufacturers.

FWIW, I never realized I didn't have a "fully integrated" refrigerator in my Liebherr because the ventillation panel was exposed at the bottom. (This discussion, in fact, is the first time this "issue" has ever come up for me). From my perspective, my aim in having a built-in, non-stainless, cabinetry-like FD refrigerator in my small, galley kitchen has been achieved. Further, let me repeat: most first time visitors to my kitchen, with the exception of contractors, service people and other TKOS, either have to ask me where the fridge is or I've had to show it to them. Even though, the fridge is at the end of a run and is adjacent to differently-sized cabinetry units, most people think the Liebherr is a pantry or something until I start opening the doors and drawers for them. Like I said, this design works for me and the refrigerator works even better! Of course, the lesser cost of the Liebherr in comparison to the SZ, Miele, Therm, Gagg, etc. was a significant contributing factor in my purchase decision.

And yes, Antss, I understand now that you weren't out to "get" me! The truce is official! LOL!

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

ooooh....Martha Sorry to jump off topic but your stove and hood look spectacular

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Aw, gee, thanks, Loves! Coming from you -- a longtime, and much-respected GW advisor and owner of that jazzy, super swell kitchen of yours, those kind words mean alot! :-)

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

Now that is beautiful Martha. The whole thing. I might have to upgrade from my current "get the cheapest fridge" plan.

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the photos--the Liebherr looks great to me! And there is someone to service it close by (the same one who does Bosch, SZ, and Therm). The place to buy it is the same one who won't deal with me on the Miele (though I suppose they would sell it to me). The price is great for the look!

• histokitch
    14 years ago

Martha, the whole thing looks fab. I'm going to have to search for more pictures. I love the Greek key pattern in the floor. I might steal some elements in my project. Off to look into fridges!

• kaismom
    14 years ago

Marthavila
    Thanks for posting those pictures. I have the exact same problem regarding the wall to the left of fridg. I love the way the frid looks like an armoir. I am NOT a fan of SS french door fridges because they look cheap to me. (I digress on this...) But I can see how FD integrated may work for me.

Do you have any problem cleaning the fridg? ie getting the drawers out, especially the large deli drawer, if there is one.

How may gallons of milk can you store in the door?

Are there any other fridges with 90 degree door stops on the hinges? (I need to be able to pull out the deli/produce drawers to clean...

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

The Miele all fridge unit for sure has 90 degree stops on the door - the all freezer unit does NOT due to thicker insulation.

I assume the unit with the freezer drawers and fridge on top would have 90 degree stops on the fridge section but I would triple check that info.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Kaismom: I have NO problem cleaning this fridge, including the large, center deli drawer. Completely removing it (which I don't do often)is just a matter of a few lift and turn maneuvers. Frankly, I do wish there was more door capacity on this FD unit! I can get 2 gallons, or a gallon and a 2 liter bottle, or similar combos on each door. In practice, though, I rarely do that. Instead, I tend to leave one or 2 very large bottles or containers on the doors along with other smaller bottles that are too tall to sit on the upper shelves of the door. Then, I store my other very large or tall bottles, on their sides, on the top shelf of the fridge. (As a short person, I'm less inclined to store food containers in places which require so much of an upward reach.) When I want those bottles, I just reach grab them by the neck, slide out and pull down. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me! :-)

Histokitch: One of the very few downsides of changing my kitchen over from an unfitted one is that when I gained fitted cabinetry and countertops, I lost sight of that wonderful Greek Key floor border on the long sides of my kitchen's parquet floor! Now, it's only on the short sides, but it still makes a statement. Glad you noticed it!

Thanks all for the compliments. Have I said already that I really do love my Liebherr? :-)

• quiltgirl
    14 years ago

Since the next project is to get an integrated unit, can someone post a picture of the sub zero toe kick? I am not seeing what the big deal is about the toe kick on the Liebherr. Would like to see side by side pix of both to see the difference. Thanks! Does anyone have the 30" Liebherr?

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Quiltgirl, we have the SubZero 736TC. I chose to have the cabinetry around it come out an extra 1 1/2'' so my counter top would die into the side panel instead of sticking out.

That said, the refrigerator could have been completely flush with the rest of the cabinetry, but from a design standpoint, I didn't go that route.

There are two removable pieces on the toe kick...one that looks like a regular piece of toe kick skin (although our cabinet maker used a thicker piece of wood since it didn't have to be even with the rest of the toe kick run like our dishwasher skin) and a second decorative piece at the front of the face frame that ties in with other decorative trim in our kitchen.

They are both removable so that I can vacuum the coils per manufacturer's instructions.

We chose the SubZero because we had a 36'' space constraint, we wanted a single refrigerator door (not French door style) and we wanted the two freezer drawers below (rather than one).

Our SubZero has been installed for 5 months now and we are very happy with its performance and it is exactly the look we were going for.

At the time that I started researching for our integrated refrigerator, I only looked at the Thermador (which only had a side-by-side configuration at the time per the appliance store) and the SubZero. I'm not sure if the Miele and Liebherr are new to the integrated market, but I wasn't aware of them when we did our research.

I just want to add that we worked with an architect for our kitchen design as it was part of a bigger remodeling project. I don't think he had prior experience with integrated refrigerators. Absolutely everything that I learned was from this forum. I gave him all of the information about what I wanted and worked directly with the cabinet maker on the details. I don't believe it would have worked out so well if I hadn't done all of my homework here on GW! Thanks to all of those who take the time to post for others!

Good luck to you. :)

• angiedfw
    14 years ago

marthavila--This might be a dumb question (probably!), but could you slide a couple of faux feet under the corners of the fridge to make it look like furniture? It shouldn't interfere with the ventilation, and they could easily slide out for servicing. Not that it bothers you the way it is, but do you think it would be possible (I'm asking to satisfy my curiosity)?

• quiltgirl
    14 years ago

I am waiting for my 36" French Door LIebherr. Angiedfw, I like your idea about slipping a couple of faux feet under the corners of the fridge. I am going to do that, perhaps with some ball type feet or whatever to match the rest of my cabinetry. (not yet designed) Marthavila, I think the Liebherr looks more integrated that the Sub Zero just because of the french doors and the two separate freezer drawers. You can't really tell if it is a refrigerator or a cabinet. I like the bottle holder shelf that Liebherr has in their 30" fridge and wonder if one can be ordered to fit the 36". Will have to check on that.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Hi Angie,

Sorry I missed your post earlier. And to answer your question, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to stick some faux feet under your Liebherr. They should just be removable so that a tech would be able to access the vent panel if necessary. And, QG, I totally agree with you about the Liebherr's appearance of cabinetry. It's no exaggeration when I tell you that nearly every person who has come into my kitchen since it's completion is dumbfounded when I open the doors of the Liebherr to reveal it as a refrigerator. I just love hearing those, "wows!" :-) And, especially since the door closure issues have finally been resolved, I've got no complaints with this fridge whatsoever.

• michellehs
    14 years ago

I purchased the 36" Liebherr FD. The contractor is currently installing the cabinets on either side and say that they need to add 2 - 2.5 inches to the depth to make it easier to install. Do you know if this is true? I looked at the specs and it looks to me like they should only need the 24". I really don't want to give away inches if I don't have to.

Any input would be appreciated.

• kaismom
    14 years ago

The whole point of integrated frig is that they can be flush with the adjacent cabinets at exactly 24 inches. If you add 2 inches to the depth, then either the frig will stick out or you will have to pull out the cabs. If you do that, you have the lost the point of paying the money for an integrated frig.

If the contractor does not know how, go to the appliance store where you bought the appliance and ask them for referrals.

Good luck.

• michellehs
    14 years ago

Thanks for your input...that was my feeling. They pulled the pantry out 27" instead of 24" and believe me my space it way to tight to give up any inches!

• steve_oakfieldanddepree_com_au
    13 years ago

Hi Folks

I know it was literally years ago but I just wanted to chime in and say what a great discussion thread this is/was. So many claims are made by sellers and "makers" - for what it's worth, I am going the opposite direction with my project for our own home. I am building new doors that will look like 1930's commercial chiller units, with big hinges and handles as well as adding several personal touches to the whole lot, like refashioned Chrysler wings emblems etc . The two fridges I am using are a liebherr wine/freezer unit and a Jenn Air Alaska model - see attached link and click on AA kitchen project .... might cause some heart palpitations for some, but perhaps a smile for others.

BTW In one of my designs I overcame the issues around the toe kick by replacing the floor under the fridge with an insect proof perforated metal grill ... still strong enough to take the fridge and enabled cool air to vent up from the underfloor. Of course, we live in a temperate climate so this may not be an option for N. America.

best wishes from Kilmore, Australia

Steve Ansell

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve Ansell

• brnstn
    12 years ago

It looks like the 27 inch Subzero 700 has more capacity than the 30 inch Miele KF1811.

Anyone have any experience comparing these two or other 27 or 30s? I'm trying to maximize space but can't use bigger than the 30.

And, apropos of the topic we want totally integrated.

• K. Klib
    7 years ago

I'm new to Houzz and was looking for integrated refrigerators (we ordered the 36" Sub Zero) but our kitchen designer doesn't like how the small cabinet above doesn't line up with the panels on the fridge. We have integrated cabinetry and so he is noticing how the inset cabinet doors above are now lined up with the panels. Anyone notice that or if they do how do you feel about it? Our other option is to have a flat panel and put a decorative acanthus on it. I hope to hear back even though this is an OLD thread.

• plllog
    7 years ago

By "inset" you mean you're having framed cabinets with doors that don't overlap the frames at all, yes?

Integrated is usually done with Euro style frameless cabinets. What you can do is make the panels on the fridge in a frame and door configuration, so it looks like several smaller cabinets rather than one big fridge.

Alternatively, you can make the frames bigger, so that the fridge itself is framed and the cabinet above therefore has the wider frame that the fridge does.

The flat panel is also a possibility but how will it look with your other decor? Do you have something similar over the hood? Or some other detail like a plate rack? If it's just plopped on as filler, it's going to look like filler. It needs to make sense in the context of the rest of the kitchen.

Try asking in the Kitchens forum, as well. There are more design oriented people there.

• emlouhall
    6 years ago

@megradek I know your fridge post was ages ago, but I'm struggling with the integrated and what to do with the countertop. Our fridge is far left like one of yours, at the end of a counter/cab run. The framing for the integrated fridge is currently flush with the lower cabinets. Since it's integrated, I'm anticipating that the panels/doors aren't supposed to add any depth, so what did you do with your countertop, did it stand a bit proud of the fridge or meet it flush? Or did the door/hinge of the panel solve the problem by adding just a touch of depth to make it flush with counter? I tried zooming in on the pic but couldn't tell. If I have them pull the framing out to make the fridge flush with the counter, then it's not really integrated, it's counter-depth.....help! We did frameless cabinets (not inset) but I don't think that would be the factoring issue. Cabinet guy is coming out tomorrow to address some other issues and we still have time before appliances come, but we're templating for counters tomorrow so I want to know how to handle the counter edge (we're just doing standard overhang and eased edge).