SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camg_gw

Would this bother you? (Must pay close attention to plans!)

CamG
10 years ago

Please make me feel better about this (and a lesson in looking closely at your building plans).

Went out today and saw that the base of the columns on our front porch had just been installed. I had been very careful with determining the spacing of the columns so they were equidistant from each other and so the front door and front window were right in the center of their respective columns. However, when I saw the columns installed, they didn't look right, and sure enough, the two right columns were 8" further to the right than they should be.

Well, I looked at the plans and realized the problem. The distance measurement between the first two columns does not go to the center of the first column, but it's edge--hence the distance between the left and middle column is 8" more than between the middle and right column.

I had a 2 day old daughter when I reviewed those plans and gave them my okay, so I never noticed that problem. Clearly a mistake by the drafter, but I approved the plans, mistake and all.

Would this bother you? 8" off over almost a 12' distance? I hate to be so particular, but I worry this is going to bother me forever more, things not quite being centered. On the other hand, I think this is my fault, or at least partially my fault, and I bet there's quite a bit of work in moving these pillars (even though they just sit on the concrete pad, there is mortar between the pad and stones), and even if they could move it, it would probably leave a mark on the pad where the pillar had been.

At any rate, thanks for any thoughts, and I hope this serves as a lesson for those reading this--check those plans carefully, making sure measurements are between the correct points!

Comments (25)