SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypearcactus

Water Damage: Fixing? Service Master?

pricklypearcactus
13 years ago

Last Friday I started demolition on a DIY project: replacing the floor and fixtures in my laundry room and adjacent powder room and turning an adjacent walk-in wet bar into a pantry / storage room with a cabinetry wet bar on the outside and a new utility sink in the garage. All was going well until I began ripping up the old laminate floor. Underneath I found very wet particle board and plywood. Turns out our main plumbing stack from the 2nd floor has been leaking behind the wall. Upon recommendation of my insurance company, I called Service Master to provide an analysis and estimate. For a very reasonable price, they will come in and clean up any mold, mildew, and wet wood. (I will be removing damaged drywall.) They suggested that the plywood would be just fine once it was cleaned. The wood is wet and in a few areas the top layer has cracked, but structurally it seems solid (according to the estimating guy).

Has anyone had any experience with this? I intend to tile the floor using 16x16 slate/quartzite tile over the exiting plywood + new 3/8" OSB and Ditra. If the plywood sub-floor seems structurally sound though slightly water damaged, will it be ok once cleaned? Initially I was expecting they would need to remove the plywood, but the cleanup company said it was not necessary.

Also, has anyone worked with a Service Master or a similar disaster cleanup type company?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice. This setback has been quite devastating on my DIY timeline and budget (and nerves).

Comments (3)