SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ekj33

Glass shower enclosure experts...opinions please

ekj33
13 years ago

We are nearing the end of the construction of our new bathroom and I have had a couple of glass companies out to measure for the glass enclosure for the shower.

I am curious about some information I was given regarding how 'frameless' my glass can actually be.

Due to the size of the shower, I would like the door to be separated from the left wall by a panel (I've attached a picture of the shower for reference).

One guy told me that it is no problem to attach a side panel to the wall and then attach the door to that panel using hinges which would minimize the hardware.

The second guy told me that such an installation would be unsafe and his company refuses to install the glass that way. His solution involves a metal track that runs across the top of the glass for stability (panel and door, I think). Obviously this track kind if takes away from the frameless look I am going for.

Additionally, there is disagreement about what I should do on the bottom of the glass that meets the bench seat...metal frame vs. hardware that will give a better look. The main issue for this one is to contain any water from running out from under the glass on the bench.

Any thoughts about whether I will be building an unsafe enclosure if I go for the minimal hardware?

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: shower

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus