SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avian_gw

Replacing shower enclosure...need advice please

avian
14 years ago

Due to pipe leak/s one piece fiberglass enclosure(22 years old)will be cut through in order to get to the pipes for repair. Pipes are located in a common wall area between two townhomes and are currently capped. I do not have a problem with the enclosure being destroyed and replaced but am going back and forth with what to choose for replacement: tile vs solid surface(e.g Swanstone,Corian - have no idea where to get Corian, what else????) Shower size 32 X 60, located on 2nd floor.Currently has framed glass doors and those will be removed and will probably just replace with shower curtain. Would like to keep expense down and also want to avoid use of toxic materials and production of toxic fumes. One tile setter with whom I spoke uses hotmopping (I live in S. Calif) and that is NOT an option. Another tile setter, builds pan w/o hotmopping. Also am probably only going to be living here for another year or less(will be looking for a single family home). Want the enclosure to look good, don't want to spend $$$$$ and want to avoid chemicals and/or adhesives that may produce toxic odors/fumes (pet birds in the home). The Swanstone (not the Veritek line) is starting to look like the best solution. However, if anyone has other suggestions as well as reputable companies to order solid surface materials from I would really appreciate this. I have read through many posts here and other forums on the net as well as looked at different online stores. This would not be a do it yourself job, by the way. Would have plumber install if I go with solid surface. Also have been getting estimates for tiling the enclosure since I am comparing costs of this to solid surface materials and was told by one contractor that subway tile expensive and better to go with a different tile, but from what I've seen and read here there is a range of pricing for subway tile. Thank you in advance for any advice and have enjoyed reading about your remodeling experiences and looking at your photos!!

Comments (4)