SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike_lee2

Replacing AC & Furnace - down to two - need advice

mike_lee2
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm currently living in NJ in a 2500sq ft two story home built in 2000 which still had the original HVAC. I'm looking to replace the unit as a preventative maintenance and take advantage of the current NJ energy credit. The current one works fine, never has had any major issues, but it's 15 years old and the $5k credit seems like a good deal.

I called out two contractors - one is offering the Rheem RA-16 unit with a Navein 210-S tankless HWH for around $10,699 OTD.

The other is offering American standard platinum with the same tankless HWH. I never got a final quote yet, but he estimated a little under $12k OTD.

I'm not entirely sold on the added cost for American Standard brand as our current utility bills ARE reasonable and I'm not sure a couple extra seer would benefit me. Is a 2-stage compressor worth that much of an increase? Both have a 2-stage furnace but only AS has the added 2-stage AC.

My biggest concern is reliability - my current unit is 15 years strong with no major issues. I've read that 2 stage compressors can be less reliable? Is either brand good or does one stick out?

Are those quotes reasonable?

I appreciate any advice - especially maybe those who are in the field and deal with these brands on an on-going basis.

Comments (31)