SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan631_gw

Bill V. Question- Please Help w/Grout Problem in New Shower

susan631
14 years ago

After three months of no problems, I'm now experiencing a problem with the grout in my new shower. The problem is happening at the shower floor, the grout joint where the tile meets the corian shower pan. This morning while I was showering, some large pieces of grout just fell out all at once. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the remaining grout at the floorline on wall where it happened (it's the showerhead wall) has a hairline crack in it, so I'm assuming that more pieces of grout will start coming out shortly if this is not fixed. The shower walls and tile were installed over the shower pan lip, not on top of it. This may have been done because my tiles are very large (20x20), heavy, and quite thick, but I'm not positive about why it was done that way, and I'm wondering now if it's even acceptable for it to have been done that way....could the installation be the cause of the problem? Sanded grout was used, if that makes any difference. Also, the problem only seems to be happening on this particular wall so far; the other three walls look ok. Please check out the two pictures in the link below and tell me what you think. One of the photos shows the grout problem. The other photo was taken during construction and shows the shower pan after it was installed. You can see the lip before the shower walls and tile went on.

I called the contractor this morning and he is suggesting that the grout be removed and replaced with silicone in a matching color. Is this the correct fix? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me! Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of grout problem

Comments (2)