SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ideagirl2_gw

Good chest freezers for basement? Ones to avoid?

ideagirl2
13 years ago

Hello,

Okay, maybe this is one of those rare appliances where it's hard to go wrong, but do you have any insights on chest freezers? We need one for the basement, partly because we just freeze a lot in general but especially because my plan for the remodel (and I thank this website for this BRILLIANT idea) is to cook 3-4 weeks' worth of dinners and freeze them, so that during the remodel we can just go get a dinner and pop it in the microwave. There are only two of us so 3-4 weeks' worth of dinners is not as massive an amount of food as you might think.

And so of course, my question is, are there brands to gravitate towards and brands to avoid? And how big does it need to be, and what features does it need (baskets? shelves?) to be useful? I don't care what it looks like, since it will be in the basement. If possible I would like it to have "legs" because on very rare occasions we get water in the basement, and I wouldn't want that to mess with the freezer's electronics. (If chest freezers don't come with legs, we'll just stick it up on a pallet or something.) We want a chest freezer rather than an upright just because they're cheaper and more compact.

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)