SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

Any tips on handling exam anxiety?

goldgirl
15 years ago

So I had my first law school exam yesterday. I'm 46 and unlike many of my classmates, haven't taken an exam (except for the LSAT) for about 20 years. Four hours, two questions, with my entire grade for the semester resting on the result.

I've never had any kind of panic attack in my life so this was a first. I was well-prepared but a little anxious going in. Nothing that I'd consider abnormal, though. Was okay for about the first hour but then realized I was going down a path that wasn't the best choice and started to worry about running out of time, which turned into wondering if I could finish at all. Within about a minute, I realized my worry was getting physical - my heartbeat went up and I got a little light-headed. I immediately went to the bathroom and just stood for few minutes, concentrating on deep breathing. Headed back and forced myself to keep going. Ended up finishing a few minutes early but am beating myself up because I know I wasn't able to do my best.

I know this isn't uncommon - in fact, a classmate told me she had the same thing happen. I'm sure part of it was exhaustion and it may even be partly related to a thyroid issue I'm being treated for that can flare up under stress.

I'm not really interested in taking anything for it but am wondering if anyone has any other tips for handling this type of thing? I have my last exam on Saturday and figure at least now I know what to expect.

Thanks!

Sue

Comments (12)