SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jperiod

Remodel - Hire GC or sub myself? Who does what?

jperiod
16 years ago

We just moved and the hall bath needs a total makeover. It's the original 1950s and there's some good water damage going on behind the shower tiles and surrounding wall around the tub.

I'm pretty handy, but after fixing my old house, I really want to hire someone else to do this since I'm still tired! LOL We've got the money, but want to be cost efficient since there are other very needed projects througout the house.

So I'm wondering about hiring a GC or subbing out everything myself to save the money. I think I could do it, but I'm not exactly sure who's licensed to do what and in what order??

Like the demo of the tile and damaged wallboard. Who?

A plumber to install new tub/shower fixture and toilet, but who does the new vanity? Then do I have the plumber out again to do the sink/faucet?

Does a drywall guy fix the surrounding wall and put in the cement backer board for the shower? THEN have a tile guy do the tile in the shower?

If there's mold/water issues going on behind the shower and the bottom of the studs need cutting out and replacing, does the drywall guy do that or a framer?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (8)