SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
segbrown_gw

Appliance choice: cooking combination (range, cooktop, what??)

segbrown
15 years ago

I know many of you have been here .... help! ;-)

I'm trying to make my final decision on appliances. So far we have chosen

--KitchenAid 42" built-in french door refrig

--Subzero fridge/freezer drawers

--KitchenAid beverage center

--2 Bosch dishwashers

So far, so good -- I'm confident in those choices.

But I can't decide whether to go range + oven, or range + ovens, or rangetop + ovens. I was originally planning Wolf 36" rangetop plus a Monogram Advantium and a Monogram single convection wall oven.

Then I started thinking maybe a Wolf or Bluestar AG range would be nice, though honestly mainly for the broiler. So I went back to look and while at the store saw the new Monogram range with the ginormous oven.

The 36" Monogram's oven is so large, I think I'd be fine with that and just an Advantium (and a tiny pantry microwave for overflow). But I don't think the smaller gas oven and Advantium is enough space, alone.

If we had room for a 48" range, it would be an easy decision; I'd just get a range and an Advantium. Done. But we don't. (Well, we might, but I'd lose a bunch of pantry space, and I'm not willing to do that.)

-- Monogram pros: size, ease of cleaning, ease of use, eliminates need for wall oven (saving about $1,500)

-- Monogram cons: wimpy broiler, sealed burners, new product reliability questions, less "cache" than Wolf or BS

Any thoughts? I know it's hard since no one knows my cooking style or whether I care about cache or not. (Here goes: we're not planning on selling, ever, so resell isn't a consideration ... I have 2 kids, 10 and 13, and a lot of family in the area, so we do occasionally have very large dinners here, but not every week or anything ... the Advantium speedcooking function is much coveted, as both kids are in afterschool sports and activities constantly and I'm not around to cook in the afternoon, and I have my own things to do in the morning so I don't cook then. How's that in a nutshell??)

But it's always helpful to hear other opinions ....

Comments (7)