SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Appliance choices - pros and cons

kellienoelle
12 years ago

I am in the process of remodeling the kitchen, getting some bids on cabinets, and they are asking about the appliances. From my standpoint, we are going with "standard size" so didn't think that we would have to make these decisions quite yet, but apparently standard isn't always standard, so here I am doing some research on good quality brands within my price range.

For some background, we are doing a mid-line remodel and unfortunately fancy built in appliances just aren't in the budget. I am looking for that sweet spot between price, quality, reliability and functionality (aren't we all) in the mid-range area. We do not have a gas line, so the range will have to be electric. I've never had separate cooktops and ovens, so don't see any reason to start now, I'll be perfectly happy with a slide in range. I love to cook, and do so often, but am hardly a gourmet.

With that being said, here is what I am thinking based on reviews here, consumer reports, and customer reviews on ajmadison:

Dishwasher: Bosch SHE43P25UC. What is important here is reasonably quiet! And of course I would like it to clean well

Refrigerator: Frigidaire Gallery Series FGHF2344MF (10% off right now). What is important here is counter depth. We are thinking French Door because my husband likes the fact that it can hold his frozen pizzas - yes we are making important decisions taking into account frozen pizzas

Range: GE Profile PHS925STSS (12% off right now). I have not used an induction range, but am really intrigued. Is it worth the extra money? Most of the cooking that I do is on the cooktop (love soups and stews) so the speed to boil is a big plus

Microwave - LG LCRT1510SV. This isn't super important - we are going to stick it in a cabinet pantry on a shelf

Hood: This is going to have to wait until I figure out what type of cabinet configuration I want. We currently have an OTR microwave so this is all new to me, boy you can really break the bank with these things, can't you? I don't even know where to start.

How are these choices? Anything else I should consider?

We are also thinking of ordering from agmadison.com because of the free shipping and no sales tax thing. That will easily save us in the hundreds of dollars. Anybody have any experience?

Thanks in advance, I am so glad I stumbled upon Gardenweb, it has been an endless source of information. The willingness of people to lend their advice, experiences, and expertise to strangers has been amazing!

Comments (10)