SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stu2900

Skype.exe-no disk

stu2900
13 years ago

(wndows 7 starter edition. Ihave a new Asus Eee netbook and have used Skype one time one it. Now I get a box all the time that says "Skype.exe-No Disk. There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into the drive\device\harddisk1\DR1. (I got online and was told to delete Skype and redownload. I tried to delete Skype and a box says a box comes up that says "Skype 4.2 Please wait while Windows configures Skype 4.2. The it show time remaining 2 seconds and just hangs up. Nothing else happens. When I hit cancel, nothing happens and when I try to shut down it says (Waiting for)Skype 4.2 This program is preventing Windows from shutting down. Click cancel and close the program. Which I do, but the program still won't shut down. So if I click on force shut down it will shut down and then I restart and the Skype no disc box comes back up and the whole thing starts over again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

How did you try to "delete" the program? Did you use: Start / Control Panel / Programs and Features / Uninstall?

• owbist
    13 years ago

Shut down completely and the reboot.
    Remove Skype using your Add/Remove feature as Kudzu notes
    Reinstall Skype

How much memory (RAM) does the computer have?

Windows 7 and Skype are not friendly towards each other. Things have improved with version 4.2.0.169

• bbbluz ~ DonnaB
    13 years ago

Most likely if you're getting that message---> Please wait while Windows configures Skype 4.2. ---> you're uninstalling through the add/remove programs in normal mode.

Every time that you reboot, the program will begin at start up if configured to and a registry key will run.

Try to Boot to safe mode and uninstall the Program if you continue to have problems. Skype probably runs as a service as well as at start up. Booting into safe mode will prevent the program from starting up and doesn't load the registry keys. Once you have done that, click on your C:Drive > Program files > and delete all the Skype folders found. See if that helps.

Donna

• stu2900
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I rebooted into Safe Mode and went into control panel and tried to uninstall Skype, but it didn't show up in the programs listing. I tried msconfig and it shows up under the startup tab. What should I do now?

• owbist
    13 years ago

Well you could try a dirty install. In other words install over the top of the existng program, that should cure things.

Or you can use Windows Explorer (right click Start, click Explore) look for Program Files on the left side. Click the plus sign beside Program Files to expand the sub folders underneath. select and highlight Skype then remove the files showing in the right side of the screen then install. Be sure Skype is highlighted on the left side so the right files are showing on the right to remove.

• zep516
    13 years ago

Sounds good! to reinstall, that will reinstall the uninstall files and should make it reappear it the add / remove list. So you can remove it entirely it that's the mission.

Last resort would to try revo uninstaller I guess

• stu2900
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I reinstalled Skype and am still getting that Skype.exe box. Skype doesn't show up in the remove programs list, but it does show up on the desktop and it shows up in Windows Explorer. When I try to delete it there it shows a file called "phone" and says "action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. Close folder and try again." I went into revo uninstaller and and it doesn't show up there either.

• owbist
    13 years ago

So I would suggest you restart in safe mode then use Windows Explorer to remove all the Skype files because at this point Skype would not have loaded at all. Then I would run Ccleaner and now try re-installing.