SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mavmomma

24' built in gas griddle - Questions for owners

mavmomma
15 years ago

We are seriously considering the Viking gas griddle simmer 24" built in (VGGT240). My husband, who used to be a line cook, loves the idea of a 24" griddle. I have never cooked with a griddle but can see myself loving it. I am a little wary of buying a product that seems to have NO competition, however. If there is no demand for it, is there a reason? Are there any other built-in griddles to consider (that are not part of ranges or rangetops)? We are thinking to go induction, instead of gas, but we still want a griddle (and not a countertop griddle), so this seems literally like our only option!

Detailed opinions on this appliance are pretty hard to come by. I have seen a few positive references to it in these forums but nothing too specific. Here are some questions I have.

- Did you install your griddle adjacent to a cooktop or range? If so, how much counter space is in between appliances? How did you setup your venting (one big one, two smaller side by side, etc)?

- Do you find the griddle heats evenly across (when you want it to)? Or do you have to be careful about keeping your food centered over a burner.

- Do you actually use this as a simmer plate? Do you set cookware right on top?

- Is there a cover available for when your griddle might get that uneven aged (loved and well used) appearance? I didn't see one on the Viking site.

Thanks!

Comments (4)