SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehoops_gw

Question re: forcing framers back to job

ehoops
16 years ago

I posted regarding our situation under "much help needed". We're in the middle of terminating our contractor and I know I'm going to need a lot of help from this board. One of the contractors many "oops" was that he had scaffolding put on the house before the framers were totally done. My understanding is that they were waiting for special kiln dried cedar for a small roof section over our mudroom. Our contractor decided to go ahead with the scaffolding for siding. Well the siding company is about 80% but can't finish because that part of the mudroom overhang isn't complete and the roofers can't come finish the porch because the scaffolding is in the way. According to our contractor we were at a standstill because the siding co needs the scaffolding to finish a high section above the missing overhang but the overhang can't be built until after the scaffolding is gone. All it took from me was a call to the siding co to explain the situation and I got the ok to remove the scaffolding (they'll just use ladders for the highest remaining part). Our issue is that our soon to be X contractor is telling us that the framers are not going to come back to finish the overhang and that we need to hire a carpenter to do it. We don't want to pay twice for this item and we think he had a falling out with the framers because he really strung them out on their payment. The mudroom overhang is part of the original plans that the framing company bid. I'm going to call and push them to come finish the job. In your opinions, do they "have" to come finish? Should they come finish? and do I have any recourse if they say NO?

Comments (3)