SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomadic_decorator

Getting bids to re-do failed external paint job - Questions ...

debtro
13 years ago

Our cedar sided house was repainted 4 years ago. At that time, peeling looked like normal wear n' tear, more on the south and west sides. Now only 4 years later, the new paint is peeling worse than ever, everywhere.

What would you advise I ask contractors while we're getting bids to re-do, considering this situation? Obviously prep is important and we're willing to pay for proper preparation because we don't want to do this again in a few years. But if this job requires more prep, are there guidelines for reasonable additional cost to help us evaluate bids?

The previous contractor kept increasing the cost beyond their bid due to preparation they said they had to do, but our house now looks horrible. Clearly with all the prep something still went wrong. I will ask the folks bidding to analyze what they think happened. Somewhere years ago online I saw an article with photos that showed different peeling patterns and the causes, so you could "read" the peeling. But haven't been able to find it again -- does anyone know of this info?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!