SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vfish_gw

Having problems with our framer, what would you do?

vfish
16 years ago

We are about 95% finished with our framing. It is now that our framer is going to our general contractor saying there will be additional costs for this and additional costs for that, etc, etc. Some of the work has been done already, with no mention of additional cost, and some of the work has yet to be completed, and will not be completed until we pay him extra $$.

We made some changes initially to our plans a while back, discussed these changes with the GC and framer. The framer, said, well that will be an extra charge. We discussed everything, got it in writing, he added on all of the changes up to that point he had completed and we paid.

Now, with the framing almost complete, he is reviewing all of our changes again and adding on a lot of stuff we had "assumed" were paid for. They had been discussed time and time again with NO mention of any additional costs. Plus, when we paid him for the additional changes, put it in writing, etc. we felt that ALL of the changes discussed up to that point were included. I even noted this on our jointly signed agreement.

One such argument...

We want our windows recessed with a reveal, and two of the windows a detail framed in above the window. This has been discussed, with drawings, pictures, etc. from day one. The framer is saying it is extra now, 6 mos later and he won't complete the window until we pay. Our window guy cannot install the window until this is complete.

I feel we are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Tomorrow we will discuss all of the changes with the GC that the framer has written down and wants us to pay for.

I feel we are being taken advantage of because we want the framer to complete the job and get off our work site, yet I don't feel we should pay anything that was not agreed to in writing before the job was initiated and/or finished. Especially since they all agreed to do the job, yet nothing mentioned until the very end that it will be an extra.

What would you do in this case? Our GC hates to get confontational with anyone and I feel he is going to side with his framer since he is working on other projects with him.

Hopefully this makes sense and someone has an idea on how best to handle this situation.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations