SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makeithome_gw

A slight cabinet color problem - what would you do?

makeithome
12 years ago

Hey everyone...

So I finally finished my week of painting cabinets and I rehung the doors last night. And I, unfortunately, am in a bit of a pickle.

When I chose the color for the cabinets (BM Glacier White) I was trying to choose a muted cream. The last time I had painted the cabinets, I painted them a very bright white and I had felt the color looked just a little too sterile with the new laminate countertops. All the other colors on the strip were warm creamy colors, the sample itself was warm (regardless of the name) and reading about other people's experience with the color and seeing pictures... it seemed perfect. So, I got it mixed in the cabinet coat, and that's where I think things fell apart a little.

I'm not sure if the CC base is different than the Aura base, but after two coats I am left with a cool white with almost a green-looking undertone. Is it muted? yup. But my laminate is VERY warm and so is the wall color of the adjacent dining room. When you look at the kitchen quickly, you don't really notice it... the color is "off" by ever-so-little. But since I am such a perfectionist, I notice it. And dwell on it. And I dreamed about it last night. *sigh*

I don't know what to do. My inclination is just to live with it a while and see if it changes. Maybe over the next week the color will develop a little more. Maybe once I put in the new floor and backsplash it won't be so noticeable. I really hope that's the case.

I was going to do a beadboard backsplash and paint it (this is a very low budget remodel) but now I don't know how to chose the paint for the backsplash. Do I try to make it work with the existing color on the cabs, or do I just try to match it with the countertops and hope that the cabs don't end up looking even more glaring?

The other thing is this... I have half a gallon of the cabinet coat left. My husband really wouldn't want me spending more money on these cabinets. I also have some left over BM Hot Spring Stones- the warm greige that have in our dining room. If I put a splash of that into the cabinet coat and did one more coat, do you think that would warm it up just enough to counteract it? Would matte Aura and the CC be compatible for mixing?

Comments (3)