SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

store closings...

caliloo
15 years ago

This was sent in an email, and though I can confirm the validity of all the store closings listed, it vertainly gives one pause when shopping this year.

Guess we had better be very careful of buying gift certificates this Christmas .

Ann Taylor closing 117 stores nationwide A company spokeswoman said the company hasn't revealed which stores will be shuttered. It will let the stores that will close this fiscal year know over the next month

Eddie Bauer to close more stores. Eddie Bauer has already closed 27 shops in the first quarter and plans to close up to two more outlet stores by the end of the year.

Cache closing stores. Women's retailer Cache announced that it is closing 20 to 23 stores this year.

Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, Catherine's closing 150 stores nationwide The owner of retailers Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, Catherine's Plus Sizes will close about 150 underperforming stores this year. The company hasn't provided a list of specific store closures and can't say when it will offer that info, spokeswoman Brooke Perry said today.

Talbots, J. Jill closing stores. About a month ago, Talbot's announced that it will be shuttering all 78 of its kids and men's stores. Now the company says it will close another 22 underperforming stores.. The 22 stores will be a mix of Talbot's women's and J. Jill, another chain it owns. The closures will occur this fiscal year, according to a company press release.

Gap Inc. closing 85 stores In addition to its namesake chain, Gap also owns Old Navy and Banana Republic. The company said the closures - all planned for fiscal 2008 -will be weighted toward the Gap brand.

Foot Locker to close 140 stores In the company press release and during its conference call with analysts today, it did not specify where t he future store closures - all planned in fiscal 2008 - will be. The company could not be immediately reached for comment

Wickes is going out of business. Wickes Furniture is going out of business and closing all of its stores, Wickes, a 37-year-old retailer that targets middle-income customers, filedfor bankruptcy pr to action last month.

Goodbye Levitz / BOMBAY - closed already The furniture retailer, which is going out of business. Levitz first announced it was going out of business and closing all 76 of its stores in December. The retailer dates back to 1910 when Richard Levitz opened his first furniture store in Lebanon, PA. In the 1960's, thewarehouse/showroom concept brought Levitz to the forefront of the furniture industry. The local Levitz closures will follow the shutdown of Bombay.

Zale's , Piercing Pagoda closing stores The owner of Z ale's and Piercing Pagoda pre-viously said it plans to close 82 stores by July 31. Today, it announced that it is closing another 23underperforming stores. The company said it's not providing a list of specific store closures. Of the 105 locations planned for closure, 50 are kiosks and 55 are stores.

Disney Store owner has the right to close 98 stores The Walt Disney Company announced it acquired about 220 Disney Stores from subsidiaries of The Children's Place Retail Stores. The exact number of stores acquired will depend on negotiations with landlords. hose subsidiaries of Children's Place filed for bankruptcy protection in late March. Walt Disney in the news release said it has also obtained the right to close about 98 Disney Stores in the U.S. The press release didn't list those stores.

Home Depot stor e closings (E. Brunswick, Rt 18 just put up their closing sign) ATLANTA - Nearly 7+ months after its chief executive said there were no plans to cut the number of its co retail stores, The Home Depot Inc .announced Thursday that it is shuttering 15 of them amid a slumping U.S. economy and housing market. The move will

affect 1,300 employees. It is the first time the world's largest home improvement store chain has ever closed a flagship store for performance reasons. Its shares rose almost 5 percent. The Atlanta-based company said the underperforming U.S. stores being closed represents less than 1 percent of its existing stores. They will be shuttered within the next two months.

CompUSA (CLOSED) clarifies details on store closings Any extended warranties

purchased for products through CompUSA will be honored by a third-party provider, Assurant Solutions. Gift cards, rain checks, and rebates purchased prior to December 12 can be redeemed at any time during the final sale. For those who have a gadget currently

in f or service with CompUSA, the repair will be completed and the gadget will be returned to owners.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9834177-7html

Macy's - 9 stores

Movie Gallery - 160 stores as part of reorganization plan to&n bsp;exit bankruptcy. The video rental company plans to close 400 of 3,500 Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video stores in addition to the 520 locations the video rental chain closed last fall.

Pacific Sunwear - 153 Demo stores

Pep Boys - 33 stores

Sprint Nextel - 125 retail locations New Sprint Nextel CEO Dan Hesse appears to have inherited a company bleeding subscribers by the thousands, and will now officially be dropping the ax on 4,000 employees and 125 retail locations. Amid the loss of 639,000

postpaid customers in the fourth quarter, Sprint will be cutting a total of 6.7% of its work force (following the 5,000 layoffs last year) and 8% of company-owned brick-and-mortar stores, while remaining mute on other rumors that it will consolidate its headquarters in Kansas . Sprint Nextel shares are down $2.89, or nearly 25%, at the time of this writing.

J. C. Penney, Lowe's and Office Depot are scaling back

Ethan Allen Interiors : The company announced plans to close 12 of 300+stores in an effort to cut costs.

Wilsons the Leather Experts - 158 stores

Pacific Sunwear will close its 154 Demo stores after a review of strategic alternatives for the urban-apparel brand. Seventy-four underperforming Demo stores closed last May.

Sharper Image : The company recently filed for bankruptcy protection and announced that 90 of its 184 stores are closing. The retailer will still operate 94 stores to pay off debts, but 90 of these stores have performed poorly and also may close.

Bombay Company : (Freehold Mall store closed) The company unveiled plans to close all 384 U.S.-based Bombay Company stores . The company's online storefront has discontinued operations.

KB Toys posted a list of 356 sto res that it is closing around the United States as part of its bankruptcy reorganization. To see the list of store closings, go to the KB Toys Information web site, and click on Press Information

Dillard's to Close More Stores Dillard's Inc . said it will continue to focus on closing

underperforming stores, reducing expenses and improving its merchandise in 2008. At the company's annual shareholder meeting, CEO William Dillard II said the company will close another six underperforming stores this year.

Comments (35)

• Gina_W
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This list confirms what I've been thinking (and saying) for years - the day of the big department-store-anchored-mega mall is coming to an end.

Those are mainly mall shops.

I hate mall shopping, and when I go to a mall for anything, I've noticed that I'm not the only one. Around here the mall customers seem to be teens and twenty-something girls. Men are nowhere to be seen, and women of a certain age are missing as well.

The mega-mall trend is over. Maybe we'll go back to boutique shopping in open-air shopping villages. There are also an increasing number of "outlet malls". I wonder how they're doing.

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Isn't Boscov's in bankruptcy too?

• Related Discussions

My favorite antique store closed...

Q

Comments (12)
    Fortunately they are closing because they are getting older and tired of running the store, not because they are losing money. The bad thing for the economy is they are having trouble selling the building, and gave up on selling the business. They emptied it out by having these sales cuz the realtor said it would be better. That said, there used to be tons of "junk" shops around when I was young. They are mostly gone, non profit thrift stores have taken their place. I do miss them. That is a Fire King Peach Lustre plate. It had scratches in the middle as do several of the others. 2 of them are pristine and still have the gold stickers on them. I'll definitely save those. I did look on ebay and although a few things that I bought are priced high, they con't seem to be selling. The right buyer never came to their store, even at their occassional 50% off sales, so I'm not sure that I would have better luck finding the right buyer. The crystal stuff fits right in with my grandmother's wedding gifts that I like to use on special occassions. I'm glad to have it. Thanks for looking and commenting. Kathy
    ...See More

Home Depot Expo stores closing

Q

Comments (16)
    I've not liked Expo Design Center: They sent me a really poor lighting contractor and wouldn't send a different person when there was a problem (said they had to give the original guy a chance--jeez). And it was always hard finding a salesperson. It's just as hard finding a salesperson at the regular Home Depot stores. But in my neck of the woods, if I needed to go to one, there are at least 4 within 30 minutes. Maybe if they shut one of those and moved the workers to the other stores, I wouldn't have to wander around following a salesperson to be next in line for his/her help! Today, counting the Home Depot news, about 46,000 jobs were lost--GM, Pfeizer/Wyeth drugmaker merger, Caterpillar, Sprint/Nextel all announced that they are laying off. 46,000. The numbers are just getting worse every day. How much worse before we see the light at the end of the tunnel?
    ...See More

Need some quick help before the store closes ..

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks so much for the comments, info and help to everyone that responded!! I need to keep an eye out for two chairs to accompany it now. Caramia, your sofa looks great recovered! Can you tell me what kind of fabric is on it now, I can't tell from the picture. Reno .. I thought the fabric was kind of cool too. I think for someone to truly like this sofa, they have to 'embrace' the retro -'ness' of the fabric. *LOL* It's totally not everyone's cup of tea. I wish I could get a better picture, I've tried .. it looks much better in person than in the photo, I think I'd need a better camera and lighting though to convey it. CooperBailey, I think the sofa is comfortable to sit on and hang out on for a period of time, it's actually very roomy and can easily fit me and the three girls comfortably on it. I don't find the tufting part uncomfortable on my back, I know that it bothers some people. I read a lot and I think the sofa would be plenty comfortable to hang out on with a good book. Now with that being said, I'm not sure most people would find it comfortable enough for a TV room that's used a whole lot. Where you'd want a large, cushy sofa to sink into. That's most likely where the sofa will be going here, but we honestly don't watch a whole lot of TV. The girls stay really busy with sports, after school clubs and playing with friends. If it's half way decent outside and they are home .. they're outside playing. If it's raining, we normally have a whole troop of kids upstairs, they have a huge TV up there to watch. About the only TV my DH and I watch are a movie or two at night on the weekends. So I think this sofa will work out just fine for us.
    ...See More

My Shabby Chic store closing bargains

Q

Comments (21)
    Susie - thank you! The doors are part of our new foyer/garage addition, and with the sidelights and transom it's a 10' x 10' entry. We stained them ourselves which was quite a job, and unfortunately the afternoon sun hits them pretty hard so we'll probably be spending a lot of time maintaining them, but I really like them. On a good night, you can see the moon through the transom. Allison, thank you so much. I was thinking it would be about 1 yard for each chair. Surprisingly, there were none listed on ebay. Guess I was hoping some people would want to make custom slips and sell the ones that came with the chairs, but it doesn't appear so. I love what I've seen of your style, and really admire how your casual and more formal furniture pieces work so well together. That's something I need to work on, since I like both. I can't wait to post pictures of other rooms soon and get advice for furniture placement and paint colors. Right now, almost all of the rooms have tools, drywall and flooring piled up in them, since we're just entering the finishing stage of the whole house remodel. I'm so looking forward to having my house back to normal and get to the fun stuff! I think I'll keep an eye on the Highgate table over the next week or so. It has such nice thick legs, and would make a nice coffee table. That will probably be my next post!
    ...See More
  • sushipup1
    15 years ago

Mervyn's is going under, too. I used to get great clothes for my grandson there, their own label of kids' clothes was sturdy and fit well, and well priced.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Sushipup: I knew Mervyn's was in trouble when Dayton Hudson (Target) sold them.

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Gina, I have been thinking the same thing. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the "big box" stores fare over the next couple of years.

I like the idea of independently-owned, and boutique type stores. Unfortunately the muckety-mucks in the town I live in has catered to all the mega stores, and nearly all of our "mom & pops" have gone by the wayside because of it.

An interesting turn of events to say the least....

Linda

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

During inclement weather malls are great and don't forget about the 'mall walkers'.....but I have an idea.

Maybe if the mall, chain type stores disappeared, boutique stores would go into the malls again.

Gina, if you lived where there is winter, you would not like driving from strip center to strip center on snow covered, sloppy roads, let alone dash outside from store to store in a snowstorm. At least I don't enjoy it.

Nancy

• dlynn2
    15 years ago

The outlet mall about 3 miles form my house is almost empty. Most of the stores in it have closed over the last 2 or 3 years. It's doing worse than the malls.

• compumom
    15 years ago

We visited outlet mall north of LA last Monday. While business wasn't booming, it did have a fair amount of cars,which surprised us.
    Mervyn's? I think they've been trouble since before Target (previously Dayton-Hudson) got rid of them. If I'm not mistaken they were slow to pay their bills back in the early 90's.

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

I forgot about that factor Nancy. But do you go to malls frequently?

If I think about where I like to go shopping -- well, probably Costco is where I spend the most money. I do like outlet malls - I went to some huge ones and did a lot of damage in Texas, Hawaii and Las Vegas.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I suspect the list is going to get even longer in the new year; specially if people are not spending much for the holidays. Restructuring and scaling down is inevitable for those big chains.

I can't see a mom and pop shop paying big rent in a nice mall and being able to turn a profit, that's the name of the game and it ain't happening.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

This is sad.

In a few weeks we will be going on our annual "Off-site Christmas Shopping" weekend. I guess I better check the status of the stores.

• User
    15 years ago

Haven't seen any of that around here....yet but I'm sure it will come.

Nancy, I hear you! If I'm shopping in January it's in a mall!

• traceys
    15 years ago

Lpink, Al Boscov is attempting to buy back Boscov's. I read this morning he wants to have it back by Black Friday.

Tracey

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Add Linens N Things to the list. I hardly ever go to any malls anymore. Haven't in years. If I do want to go to a store that is only in malls, which happens rarely, I go to that store and then leave.

We're going to do our annual jaunt to San Marcos (3 hr drive) Outlet Mall on Black Friday. It's two huge outlet malls next to each other. DH likes to shop and it's a fun day for the both of us. Hoping to find some great bargains this year.

I can well imagine that this downward spiral is going to continue. It has always amazed me how many locations one store can have --- they seem to be competing with themselves. I've seen it happen to so many businesses, they open too many locations and the next thing you know they are all closed. You'd think they'd learn from others' past mistakes.

• dedtired
    15 years ago

I wonder if part of the problem is the aging population that simply cannot tolerate malls. It's too much walking while carrying bags and too many stores aimed at the young.

I go to the King of Prussia mall all the time, but I park near an entrance to the store where I'm going and just stick to that store for the most part. My hips and knees are aching if I spend too much time walking on those hard mall floors.

I long for the days of free-standing department stores, where you could park just outside and walk in.

Honestly, this economic situation has me scared to death.

• cloudy_christine
    15 years ago

I'm surprised about Boscov's. That started as a local store in Reading.
    I've been wondering for a long time how all the new retail stores can possibly stay in business. New stores and restaurants kept popping up all around here, and there wasn't the economic growth to explain or sustain it. It was a house of cards built on credit. Booms and bubbles are always like that; businesses expand beyond caution because of the psychology of the boom. Then things have to change, so that resources can be allocated in better ways.

• User
    15 years ago

For those of you than don't do malls where do you shop?

We only have malls, big box stores/outlets or the small boutiques type shops downtown.

I hate the big box stores (except Costco) and the downtown shops are quite pricey so I usually end up at the mall which has two very large department stores and then the usual suspects of chain stores.

• stacy3
    15 years ago

here's an interesting news article re: this email...

Here is a link that might be useful: news article

• annie1992
    15 years ago

LOL, Chase, I just don't shop. (grin)

Add me to the list of people who hate malls. I took Amanda last weekend for her birthday, it's what she wanted to do. It's was like torture, a zillion people, lines everywhere.

I've never shopped at Ann Taylor or The Gap. Ashley loved Pacsun, but I think they are all high end and over priced, I've never purchased anything at Cache because I could never find anything under $100, not even a tshirt!

Nope, I'll keep buying jeans and sweaters at J.C. Penney and Kohl's, along with my work suits and those $20 pumps from Shoe Carnival. I got my last pair of pajamas, some underwear and socks and a pair of slippers at Sam's Club, LOL, I went there for laundry soap and dishwashing liquid.

Oh, but I did go to Tuesday Morning and Marshall's and buy a candy thermometer, but I got right the heck out of Marshall's, way too many people.

I thought no one was shopping because of the economy but I stood behind 4 people at Tuesday Morning on Veteran's Day at 11 a.m. and there were at least a dozen people in line at Marshall's. On a Tuesday morning at 11 a.m.!

Oh, and I just picked Ashley up a Carhartt coat at Tractor Supply, that wasn't so bad. (grin) Elery says I'm the perfect woman, I can cook and I hate to shop, plus I leave ALL the wine for him!

Annie

• phyllis_philodendron
    15 years ago

Ditto the Linens N Things and now Circuit City, I see.

I agree with Gina - the mall anchored stores have been declining for a while. However, I think it's because shopping trends are changing. Whole malls have closed because their retailers are going to bigger, flashier outlets and bigger, better malls in nicer areas. Anyone familiar with the Columbus, Ohio area knows what I mean.

Not only that, but I wonder if some of these places are guilty of saturating the market and then becoming their own worst enemy. Some of these places have several stores in one area - who needs that? And a lot of them are higher end places that are very pricey - they cater to a smaller part of the population in general, and now more than ever because people are making less money (theoretically).

i wonder too how much internet sales are affecting this, especially with people who have a) no time or b) don't want to drive all over looking for things, or want to spend the gas money on it.

Anyone remember Phar Mor? I used to work at one and of course they went belly up because of bad accounting practices. But I'm sure having like six or eight stores within a five or ten mile radius didn't help, either.

I'm not totally against the boutique shops, etc. but around here, if you want to find a specific item, you can't find it in town. Underwear, for instance. LOL Maternity clothes, which I desperately need right now. Nope. They just don't have certain things, not to mention they shutter their doors wayyy earlier than other larger stores.

• lowspark
    15 years ago

I usually shop at strip centers where you can park pretty much in front of the store you need. Easy in, easy out. You can get just about everything you need in those strip centers around here.

I do remember PharMor. There was one near my house and I loved it, they had good prices. But there was clearly something wrong with their organization, the store near me had snow shovels stocked. In Houston. Where it never snows. We got a good laugh out of that. I was sorry to see them go though.

• beanthere_dunthat
    15 years ago

According to something DH read in a trade mag, something like 180,000 rigs were taken off the road so far in 2008. He's able to find parking in truckstops that are normally overflowing, and many of the 24 hour restaurants have started closing at 10PM. No trucks = no freight moving. (And smaller paychecks.)

Sprint might not be losing so many customers if they would STOP CALLING THEM once or twice a week to try to sell them more phones/services. I'm happy with them except that one thing, and that one thing alone is going to make me drop them like a bad habit when my conttact is over.

• dedtired
    15 years ago

I shop at a lot of "strip" type malls. I buy a lot of clothes at Talbot's. There are two open air malls near me that have Talbot's. These aren't the kind of strips that also have pizza places and chinese restaurants. They are far more manageable than the huge indoor malls.

At the big malls, I go to Lord & Taylor, Bloomies and Nordstrom, and not much else. I love the Nordstrom Rack outlet for shoes and there's one on the way home from work.

Oh well, pretty soon no one will be shopping for anything, we'll just be getting by with what we have. One store I know that is doing a huge business is my hospital's thrift shop.

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

I personally hardly ever shop at department stores. I try to patronize local stores for specific needs but will occasionally shop at Kohls or Sears. I like to do most of my Christmas shopping over the internet. Why wait an hour in line to purchase something? Just drives me nuts. Speaking of store closings and I suppose I should start another posting, but what about restaurants. We have had the following close just recently: Uno Chicago Pizza, Lone Star Steakhouse, Don Pablos Mexican Kitchen, Denny's, Cookers,Bennigans, Steak and Ale, and many local small restaurants and some other chains that I can't recall off-hand. Very scary. When the big boys (not the restaurants!) close you know things are bad. We have had tens of thousands of foreclosures in just my county over the last few months. Annie, do you have room in the barn for some farm helpers? LOL.

Duane

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, Duane, can you shovel manure, fix fence and chase cattle? If so, I can guarantee you that you'll eat well and have a warm place to sleep. (grin) It might be heated with the body heat of cattle and horses, but it'll be warm.

No shopping at high end stores, or even low end stores, LOL, but if it comes to it, I have two horses and a set of harness, they can pull a plow to earn their keep and feed us.

However, I gotta tell you, I won't miss any of those chain restaurants, I far prefer the "Mom and Pop" diners and local restaurants to the food service choices that most chain restaurants give me. I owned a bar and grille for too many years, so I always recognize that "mass market" type food.

One of the reasons I shop at Penney's and Kohl's is because I CAN shop on line, I don't have to drive 50 miles to get there and if I bought Lee jeans there three months ago, they'll still have my size and I know how they'll fit. Ditto shoes, skirts, suits, etc. I'm not very fashionable and don't care so I buy a couple of things in the spring to get me through the summer and a couple of things in the fall to get me through the winter and wear Carhartt sweats to the farm so I don't have to shop much. I don't wear jewelry, don't go to parties and don't socialize unless I'm at Elery's or he's here, the rest of the time I'm at work, at home or at the farm. Oh, but I did buy a couple of men's extra large t-shirts for a buck each at my local grocery store, I wear them to sleep in.

May, there are strip malls here too, and you can park pretty near the stores, but when it's 20 below zero and snowing, and you're in a heated vehicle, you have to bundle up to go into the store, then un-bundle to shop, put everything back on to go back out and then you're too hot in the car, LOL. Well, other people do, I just jump out of the Jeep without a coat and go in and shop. I go outside if I get too hot.

One more reason I mostly stay home between November and March. Too many stores turn the heat up! (grin)

Annie

• lowspark
    15 years ago

It's funny how we're so used to, well, what we're used to! I definitely feel for the snowy shopping excursions those in the north have to go through -- I'd probably NEVER go shopping in the winter if I lived there. LOL I'm an admitted weather wimp!

Here it's the summer that could kill you. Back when malls were new (yes I'm old enough to remember!) the pitch was "all weather mall", which around here meant, stay out of the heat & humidity. A local mall which was built in the late 50s, JUST before the concept of "all weather malls" lingered for years -- it was just like any other mall except that the middle wasn't covered. It did very little business but all efforts to tear it down and convert it to other uses were foiled by the existing 100 year leases by JCPenney and another couple of stores who refused to give up their sweet deals.

Finally someone figured out that the best thing to do was invert the mall -- instead of all the stores facing into the uncovered mall, they built it out with all the stores facing out with NO middle -- a very large glorified strip mall. Now it's among the busiest "malls" in the city!

The only difference really is that you can park in front of the store you need instead of being forced to roam down mall corridors. It's so successful it's become a model for other dead malls.

But I wonder if the model would work in the north...

• cloudy_christine
    15 years ago

There's a very nice big new (about a year old) shopping complex about an hour away,near Allentown, that tries to get away from the hermetically-sealed mall feeling. It's like streets you walk around in. There's L.L. Bean and the beautiful Fresh Market food store, and a lot else I haven't been to. A friend and I were thinking about going there the other day, and we looked outside at the howling 30-degree wind, and said, No. It seems like the coming thing, and very attractive, in decent weather.

I do have fond memories of Christmas shopping in the old days, when there were no malls here. You'd go from the crisp cold air into the department stores downtown, and somehow it felt much more bracing and Christmasy than dragging yourself and your winter coat through the endless and exhausting King of Prussia Mall.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Well, my boss loves Ann Taylor and got this email today. We'd been discussing store closings so she forwarded it to me:

Dear Valued Client:

It has come to our attention that false and misleading information, regarding our Company and our store closure program, is circulating on the Web, as part of a hoax to scare consumers away from purchasing gift cards. Ann Taylor is a financially strong Company that operates nearly 1,000 Ann Taylor, LOFT, Ann Taylor Factory and LOFT Outlet stores across the U.S. In January 2008, we announced plans to close some underperforming stores, as part of a strategic restructuring program to make us an even stronger Company that can continue to serve you in the future. Our gift cards continue to be a popular and great option for gifting this Holiday season and can be redeemed at any of our stores, as well as online at anntaylor.com and anntaylorLOFT.com. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Kay Krill
    President and Chief Executive Officer
    Ann Taylor Stores Corporation

For whatever it's worth.....

Annie

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

Check out Snopes.com, as usual.

Here is a link that might be useful: store closing email

• compumom
    15 years ago

Interesting article-
    FYI the Ann Taylor store in Beverly Hills is open, but has a sign on the building offering "leasing opportunities"! It's not their customer and I'm pretty sure that there's a mall store nearby. Then again, Gap & Banana Republic are on the next block and look to be doing good business.

• beanthere_dunthat
    15 years ago

Where do I shop? I don't unless I absolutley must. Nothing like moving cross-country a couple of times to convince me I don't need or want any more "stuff". If we must replace something, I try an independent store first. I do find myself in Wally World (unde protest) because that's where the person I usually shop wants to go and she's driving. I buy stuff like light bulbs and toilet paper there...nothing I expect to last or be of any quality. Most of our clothes are from Lands End or LL Bean. If I ever go back to an office job, I'll be in deep hurt, I guess.

• Lars
    15 years ago

There are plenty of shopping streets/neighborhoods here that going to a mall is not a necessity. Not all malls are all covered here either, particularly Century City Mall, which has a parking structure, but you walk outside to go from store to store. Third Street Promenade is all outdoors, as is Rodeo Drive. Melrose Avenue is one of my favorite shopping streets, but I also like Sunset in the Silver Lake district. Hollywood and Highland also has a large central area that is open to the sky. There's really no need to cover these areas, since we don't have cold weather, and it's usually not too hot.

Lowspark, you are not a weather wimp if you can handle living in Houston in the summer! I lived there when I was going to Rice, but I never managed to stay there in the summer. Rice closed for the summer when I was there - they didn't want to subject the students (and professors and staff) to the heat and humidity.

DB had been telling me that Circuit City had been late with all their payments to Sony, and so we were not surprised when we found out that they were going into chapter 11. We bought a new TV recently and ended up getting it at Best Buy because they have a brand (Insignia) that got good reviews and was well under the employee discount price that DB could get from Sony for a similar LCD widescreen TV. I gave our old widescreen TV to the neighbors, for helping us move it out of the house. It was a rear projection TV and was huge!! I'm much happier with the flat screen TV, and our old TV, even though it was HD, was not compatible with Blu-ray. DB had bought a Blu-ray player a couple of weeks ago at a company sale (at Sony) along with an AV amplifier, but we could not get a picture on our old TV with it. Finally, I broke down and bought a new 47" Insignia flat screen LCD TV, and we're much happier with that. We only have a few Blu-ray discs, but we're starting to collect them. The old DVDs are supposed to look better on Blu-ray player, but it's difficult to tell.

Lars

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

Another anti-shopper. A lot of my wardrobe, sadly, is from Costco. I love the no-hassle return policy. The clothes are body coverings but would be hard pressed to pass as fashion! The rest is off the sales rack of the petite section at Macy's or Marshalls. Alice loves the mall but now that she can drive I no longer need to be subjected to the torment.

I tend to shop on an as-needed basis and buy just that item. As a consequence I don't have things hanging in my closet that have never been worn.

• triciae
    15 years ago

Another here who hates to shop especially at malls. I've never been a 'mall crawler'. I shop only when there's a specific need for something & then first turn to online shopping. Second, I'll shop locally here in Mystic. It's very rare that one of those two choices is insufficient. We purchased a new freezer a couple months ago. We bought it from our local appliance store...no Sears or Best Buy for us! The service we received was stellar & it's nice to walk into the store & be greeted by name.

My everyday clothes are Denim & Co from QVC where I also purchase undies & shoes. My good clothes are from small local boutiques & I purchase basics that transcend annual styles changes so I can wear them for years. My good shoes are also from QVC...I purchase them in October during their Shoes On Sale events benefiting breast cancer. I've been doing that for about ten years.

We don't have national stores here but there's a very nice selection of sole proprietor stores both on Main Street & Mystic Village (that's where the cooking store is). If that fails...Stonington Boro is just 2 miles away & they've got a nice selection that's a bit different from Mystic. I really just don't have any need for the big, national stores.

We will not shop the box stores like HD, Lowe's, WM, Costco, etc. Good thing too 'cause there are none close. A drive to our nearest HD & back would take half a day! Much rather purchase from our locally-owned hardware store.

All these stores going under did employee lots of people though who are now without jobs and/or benefits. :(

/tricia

• triciae
    15 years ago

Another store that's gone BK is Lenox/Deptartment 56. Department 56 purchased Lenox 3 years ago & the merger didn't go well for management. They're in Chapter 11 & trying to obtain Debtor In Possession financing to continue operation of the Lenox & Dept. 56 brands. In this banking climate who knows if they'll be able to obtain the needed Debtor In Possession funds? I rather doubt they'll be successful. They also own the Gorham brand.

/tricia