SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momtoollie

1 year later...the Builder threw us under the bus! What to do?

momtoollie
10 years ago

We have been in our new build for one year. We love the house and the community. Small subdivision, 40 homes on 1/2 acre lots. Beautiful (very expensive) homes in close proximity. There is no HOA or age restrictions, however most residents are empty nesters. We paid a high premium for our lot because it was heavily wooded with a dense tree line between neighboring houses. The Builder sold the lot next to us to a lovely couple. They built a beautiful home with side load 3 car garage that unfortunately faces the side of our house where we have a lot of windows. During construction they took down all of the trees on their property - we still have quite a few on ours. (Please stay with me - the story gets worse).

Well, they moved in a few weeks ago. They have a boat, two vehicles and a truck - that will be parked in the driveway 365 days a year! (approximately 75 feet from my kitchen window). We immediately called our landscaper and had him plant a buffer of arborvitaes and other evergreens. (Cost $10,000). During installation I explained to our new neighbor that I didn't want to be "unneighborly" but his truck was highly visible from our porch and many of our windows. He told me that "the Builder knew from the start that he would be parking his truck in the driveway and that it was OK."

We then met with the Builder and asked him to plant some trees etc to screen the truck. He, of course, doesn't own the property anymore. We asked him to meet with new owners and, at his expense, plant some sort of buffer. It has been 3 weeks and we have received no response.

Here's where it gets worse. Our new neighbor is retired and spends his days puttering. The 3 garage doors are open all day and sometimes all night. He planted a rhubarb patch in the middle of his backyard. His wheelbarrow is leaning against the side of the house and he has every power tool known to man - and uses them on a daily basis. It is like living next door to the Clampetts.

This may sound snobby but this was not our expectation when we built our home. This community is by far the most expensive real estate in town. We are now having a partial fence installed (cost $3,000).

I am absolutely sick about the whole situation. Any suggestions??

Comments (43)