SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shmeal_gw

ending tile at an outside corner

shmeal
16 years ago

I have designed a tile layout for our tub surround using a 12x12 porcelain tile set on the diagonal with a 4X4 glass tile inset, this will be topped by a 1x6 glass brick and the matching porcelain chair rail. I have an outside corner which will be tile on the inside and drywall on the outside where I am not sure how to end the tile. The porcelain has a bullnose tile available, but I have two concerns.

#1 - do I displace the center of the design to accomodate the 4" bullnose piece or do I leave the design centered on the wall?

#2 - how do I end the chair rail and the glass brick tile at the corner since they obviously aren't the same size & color as the bullnose or does that not matter?

I actually have a similar dilemma in the shower. The chair rail and glass tile mosaic will not carry around either outside corner at the doorway. It only makes sense that the door won't work if there is a chair rail sticking out an extra 1/2" or more.

Is there an option that I haven't thought of? I looked at the Schluter site but their edges seem to be more for tile on tile corners and don't accomodate for the extra thickness of the chair rail, unless I didn't look closely enough at all the options.

If it helps, the porcelain tile is Palais by Crossville & the glass brick is Candalara Glass by AmericanOlean. The tile and glass are both 3/8" thick and the chair rail is 1 1/8" thick.

Comments (14)