SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlikin

Don't like tiling of outside corner!

charlikin
15 years ago

The good news is that my bathroom has fewer outside corners than it used to, which means this is really only a problem on one outside corner that will be next to the toilet and go around into a small alcove in which I plan to place a tall, narrow cabinet. But, really, I think this was done badly.

{{gwi:1492709}}

My contractor had wanted to use vinyl strips in the corner. I think they're cheesy looking. He said he doesn't like mitering porcelain tile because the corners come out too sharp (it's not colorbody tile that he can smooth out). The last option was bullnose.

The tile guy tried one more time this morning to talk me into vinyl strips. I said no. He said he couldn't miter the travertine border because the individual tiles are too fragile. So he mitered the horizontal bullnose on top (the tile goes halfway up the wall), then butted the tile below against the vertical bullnose on the right side of the corner, and butted the border in the same way. I think the border should have been butted the other way so it would have looked like it matched the bullnose on top, and I actually think the mitering looks nicer than the butting and wish he had mitered the whole thing.

I realized that his saying they use the vinyl strips on 90% of their jobs means he hasn't had a lot of experience tiling outside corners without it. I wonder if he learned anything from this experience.

It's not a very prominent corner, but it bugs me. Don't know if it bugs me enough to insist he do it over, though (can it be done over?).

What do other people think?

Here's what the whole wall looks like, btw. (This is the only wall he's tiled so far...)

{{gwi:1492708}}

Comments (31)

• annkathryn
    15 years ago

It's true that travertine can be fragile. My tile guy took mine to be bullnosed at another facility and didn't take any extra - sure enough, one broke so he had to go back with another tile. But that's not to say that it can't be done.

Ok, so your large tiles are porcelain? I think he did a good job mitering the top ones, which started out as bullnose tiles, right? I think the thing that would bug me most about your corner is that it's half mitered and half not. I'd suggest having him try again on mitering the bottom - there are only 6 tiles there (do you have extra in case they break?)

As far as the border, as a compromise can he alternate how the bricks are stacked so that there isn't the straight vertical grout line, but instead a more...ummm...brick-like look? This is hard to describe - hope you know what I mean. You'd still have a sharp corner for the border though - could this then be sanded down so that it's slightly bullnosed?

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, it's the half-mitered and half not thing that's bugging me. And then for the border, if he just butted it the other way, I think that would be fine. The short part of that corner is going to be hidden by the free-standing cabinet I'm putting there, so I don't care if it doesn't look perfect there.

Is it a big deal to ask him to redo a few tiles? (I'm pretty sure I do have some extra...)

I guess I'm a little timid about this, but I do think it looks funny. It would probably only bother *me*... I didn't even notice it, really, till I stared at the pictures for a while! (Before that, I was just happy at what my tile looked like in general. :-))

• Related Discussions

Shrubs rabbits don't like?!

Q

Comments (7)
    Ah the suburban nemisis strikes again! Sorry to hear that. As the previous post suggested rabbits will eat anything if they are hungry enough and similarly what they choose to eat depends on the time of year. The worst problems I have with bunnies is in the winter. They will strip the bark of anything to get a source of water which is why they do it. Poor devils are basically really thirsty. There is really nothing safe. Nurseries sell bunny resistent plants but these are not normally shrubs... that said they do not eat holly or juniper. My solution to this problem is putting up a temporary fence around them which I take down when the weather gets warmer.... or.... Usually this problem is really bad when the snow is really high.... why they do not eat the snow is a mystery... seriously. Anyway this is usually from Jan onwards and the answer to the problem lies in Christmas. Buy a real tree and after you are done with it, cut it up and put the branches around some of the more sensitive plants. This is enough to distract them and hopefully they'll go and chew something in the neighbors yard.
    ...See More

Trends you don't like

Q

Comments (44)
    Great post.. Most of my peeves were already mentioned... I will add: Overuse of pocket doors - they can't use regular hardware so they are difficult to open and close Stacked stone used everywhere...inside and out - most of the time, it is manufactured, not real and it shows! Jack n Jill bathrooms - these just bother me especially if you have a boy and a girl....tough to decorate and "share" that space, especially with teenagers. Outdoor lighting around garages and front doors that is sooo small...off scale. Pam
    ...See More

ending tile at an outside corner

Q

Comments (14)
    WOW - that steam room is AMAZING! I think it would be very cool to have a job that you can finish and look back with such satisfaction at your artistry and skill. Can I ask your opinion about the tile layout in my shower? Above the chair rail I have planned on having 12x12 set on a diagonal. The 4x4 glass tiles would be inset at the points which meet at a line about 5 1/2 feet above the floor. I have initially laid out the pattern so each wall is symmetrical with the glass tiles centered but that makes it so the corner pieces don't line up. If I adjust the tiles so the corners line up then that offsets the inset tiles and they are no longer centered. Is there a right way to make this work and look good?
    ...See More

outside corners with subway tile on wall

Q

Comments (2)
    Here's a pic of an outside corner in our guest bath: (I don't have a close-up photo of the corner handy, but if you can zoom in on this photo, you can get a good idea how it looks.) I'm sure one of the tile pros can tell you different and best ways to do this; I can just tell you what we did. Our contractor miter cut the tiles, then slightly softened the sharp edge with a sanding block of some sort. We had talked about using a bullnose tile, but I didn't love the edge finish of the bullnose on these tiles; the cut tiles came out well and I'm much happier with it this way than the way the bullnose would have looked. -- Eric
    ...See More
  • bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Yeah, it's the half-mitered and half not thing that's bugging me.

The problem is that most manufacturers that offer bullnose, do NOT offer outside corners. You then have two options. One is what he did, and the other is to take two pieces of bullnose, and MAKE an outside corner, as shown in the picture below:

The piece is cut at a 45 degree angle, and then a triangular piece of bullnose added, so both top and side have finished edges. The thing I don't like about that is it leaves an extremely sharp point afterward, that if not chipped back a bit (to where it'll show a touch of the clay body of the tile), it could very easily cut someone's leg wide open.

As for the tumbled stone. I agree with what he did, but with one exception-- I would've turned the pieces around, so that the cut edge was buried, and showing the "factory" end of the stone at the corner.

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your reply, Bill! I was really hoping I'd hear from you before I went and spoke to the tile guy!!!

I was going to ask him to redo the corner, mitering all the porcelain tiles, but it sounds like that would be a bad idea. Do you think it would be a big deal to ask him to just redo that bit of border? Or do you think it's not worth it?

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

Hi, Charlikin,

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents worth in. When I looked at the first pic close up, the inconsistency really jumped out and bugged me. When you show the wall, it is not eye catching at all. I think even if you leave it the way it is, it will come to look fine to you.

Just having finished with my own outside corners, I can empathize with the aggravation. I was lucky to have tile guys who thought it through like chess players, always thinking many steps ahead as to how any individual decision would affect other areas.

It looks really great so far!

Anita

• sandra_zone6
    15 years ago

I love your tile job so far! However, that corner would drive me nuts every time I walked into the bathroom. I think the upper, lower and border tiles should all be consistent, however you two agree on doing them. I personally would not put up with it as it is done now because even if no one else noticed it, if it was something I was unhappy with, my eyes would be drawn to it whenever I was in the room.

You are paying a lot for this project; be absolutely sure it is something you can live with each and every time you walk into the bathroom. Just my .02 for what it is worth.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

Like Sandra, however you decide to do the corners, they should be the same. That's just sloppy work :( I have 3 outside corners in my bathroom that consist of porcelain and natural stone (traverine) I don't have a problem with them being sharp...maybe sharper than "rounded" but not sharp. When grouted, the corners become smoother.

• callieandkarin
    15 years ago

First of all, I love the tile! It's going to look lovely. And I agree with the other posters that the corner would bother me, and I would ask for it to be redone with mitres. We mitred our marble on outside corners, and it looks good.

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback! I spoke to the tile guy this morning, and I think this is going to end up staying the way it is. He had various reasons (excuses?) for what he did, and honestly, I think that since he usually uses those vinyl strips, he just doesn't have the skill level to do outside corners well. For all I know, I could make him redo it and it could come out worse.

Maybe I will regret this decision, but it isn't a prominent corner, and I'm hoping I won't notice it after a while. As Anita (nomoreblue) said, it looks bad in the close-up, but not so noticeable in context. (It certainly wasn't the first thing that jumped out at me when I first looked at the tile work.)

I don't know. I'll take another look at the work tonight and make a final decision. (He was going to finish tiling the bathroom today and enhance the travertine border; tomorrow he's planning to grout.)

• thetews
    15 years ago

I actually think it looks fine. Might've looked better to not have mitered the top row, but still it looks fine. Once it's grouted I don't think you'll notice or care.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

I'd atleast have him recut the tumbled stone and turn the cuts around.

• wa8b
    15 years ago

Guess I'll throw in my two cents, to. The butted large tiles wouldn't bother me at all. Once it's grouted, it'll look fine. I think I'd definitely have the top row corner redone to match the butted edges down below.

As for the trim band, I wonder why your tile guy didn't interweave the ends and sides so that on each face you see a short end terminating one row, a long side on the next row above, then another short end on the next row above that. That's how a mason would construct a corner with bricks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Image: Interwoven Outside Brick Corner

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, but I figured it'd be tough enough just to get him to recut and turn the pieces around!

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

I might catch a 15-yard penalty for piling on, but I pretty much agree with everyone else.

The tiles should all match...either all mitered, or all butted.

If butted, without knowing how the rest of the room lays out (traffic pattern etc) my initial reaction would to have had the seam show on the minor wall instead of the major wall.

I'm a fan of mitered corners but I do understand the limitations of working with some materials.

The travertine? Either mitered or the interwoven "log cabin corner" look, with tumbled ends, not the cut ends, facing out.

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, all the rest of the tile went in today, and he enhanced the border. (He gave me a long strip of border this morning with half enhanced and half not so I could make up my mind and call him later. The consensus at work was to enhance. :-))

{{gwi:1493572}}

The outside corner in question is just to the right off the above photo. Got kind of a wonky photo showing the corner with the walls around it tiled... I think having everything tiled camouflages the problem somewhat.

{{gwi:1493573}}

Anyway, Bill, he gave me a lot of excuses about the sizes of the tiles in the border and how it hand to line up this way, and he said it would look better after he grouted it and sanded it down a little tomorrow. I am going to be putting a tall narrow cabinet in that little corner alcove (it'll stick out a few inches), so I don't think anyone's even going to see this corner.

Bill, Mongo - next time I have a big tile job, I'm hiring one of you guys! (Or one of your disciples... ;-)) Seriously, I have new-found respect for just how much skill and chess-like thinking-five-moves-ahead smarts goes into tile-laying. You guys ROCK!!!

MEANWHILE - I *am* very happy with what my tile looks like in general. It was extremely difficult picking it - it wasn't the tile I had in my head originally - but I think it was the right choice.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Ilva releases ceramic line with cross-cut travertine appearance
    Ilva's Pietre Travertine Porcelain Tile

Posted: February 12, 2003

Argentina-based ceramic tile manufacturer Ilva SA recently introduced Pietre Travertine, a porcelain tile series that emulates the look of cross-cut travertine marble. The tileÂs smooth surface gives the impression of natural stone, the company says.
    The product -- which is offered in shades of bianco, beige, noce, and rosso -- is complemented by a collection of matching borders, listellos, bullnose, and inserts. Pietre Travertine is available in 14-inch- and 18-inch-square floor tiles, and also in 7-by-7-inch wall tiles.

In addition, the series includes a full range of trim pieces including torellos, matitas, sink rails, quarter rounds, and corners.

So your tile is Porcelain that looks like Travertine. Your color was what I had wanted. I just love it so much. Since you live in NY and I live in NJ, did your contractor buy it for you or was there a local store you were able to get samples to see what the tile looked like. From the pictures, I feel it would be perfect in one of my rooms in my home (Either Kitchen, bathroom or foyer).

I love the border! Thanks for sharing. I know it was the right choice the beautiful spa-like tile you chose.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

P.S. Charlikin, What width grout line do you have since the tile is rectified? What color grout did you use since it looks nice. Thanks again for sharing.

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lynn! The Ilva tile was recommended to me here on these forums (by blondelle - thanks again, blondelle!). I bought it at Venezia Tile in Whitestone, Queens, which happens to be my contractor's recommended tile store. I swear I was in there a million times and never really noticed it (since it wasn't what was in my head) until blondelle mentioned it and I noticed the label and did a double-take. Very happy with it now.

Note that not all the different pieces mentioned in the Ilva press release are actually carried in the U.S. (Quarter rounds and corners would have been particularly nice. Grrr.)

We used a 1/16" grout line. It's not grouted yet, but we're going to use "antique white wall grout" - the brand isn't listed on my receipt. He's grouting tomorrow, so I'll post photos tomorrow night.

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

...and he said it would look better after he grouted it and sanded it down a little tomorrow."

That's why I have the homeowner inspect every tile job before I grout. Seeing tile set with no grout really causes the lines of the tile to jump out at you. It's easy to pick out discrepancies at that time.

Grout which has a color that is in contrast to the tile dos the same thing. It accentuates the lines of tile.

Grout that matches the tile in color blends things together and hides imperfections...until you finally notice them two weeks later.

I'm of the mind that it's better to solve problems than to camouflage them.

I do like your bathroom, it's a nice look. I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more once the job is done.

Best,

Mongo

• User
    15 years ago

Wow Charlikin- wasn't it just a day or 2 (3?) ago that you had a demolished bathroom and no clear way to put it back together again? It sure is lookin' fabulous!!
    As for the outside corner issue, I agree that it might not be optimal, but isn't is amazing how with everything else falling into place and perspective(like the cabinet that will be there as well) that it is almost not an issue unless you seek it out. Not saying that the job shouldnt be perfect- of course it should be if possible; but reality sometimes sets in and you know the rest.
    Bottom line, it looks great and I am amazed at how quickly it is happening.
    ME? Still thinking about what I might do in the master bath. (Translated, zilch decisions yield zilch progress)

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Charlikin, Thank you for letting me know the name of the tile. I am going to call the store right now before getting back to work (I am eating lunch and obsessing and must finish a deadline)to see if they can send me a sample over since I love the fact it takes such a thin grout line and the color in your bathroom is wonderful. Thanks again for sharing. I can't wait to see more pics.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Monikam, I also love your tile (I have to do my foyer areas, kitchen and bathrooms so I can see this tile also in one of those rooms) and really would love to know the name of it. You can always lick my email and send me more information privately. Thank you so much.

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Sheila - it's amazing how fast it's all happening. Considering that I like to absorb things in a slow, methodical fashion, it's a little scary! (Like having to decide whether I wanted the border enhanced - I had two hours to make that decision!)

Today he's grouting the tile and putting in the medicine cabinet. Then the plumber has to come back to put in the sink, toilet, faucet, and shower fixtures. Not sure when they do the glass shower door... And the tile guy will put in the towel bars when he comes back to do the backsplash, so I might be living without towel bars for a few weeks. (Knew I ordered a shower door for a reason!!!)

So, Sheila - has my saga scared you off doing your bathroom yet??? LOL!!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

As I am eating dinner, I am visiting this post to see if there are any more updates. My neighbor (not the next door neighbor but someone in the same complex as me) let me see his renovated townhouse. He redid all the rooms and they looked great. His bathrooms and kitchens are amazing with new cabinets, counters, sinks, showers and tiles. But I still love your bathroom tile the best Charlikin. It seems like everyone in my townhouse complex has renovated their kitchens and bathrooms but me. But in a way I started since I bought the LG French door refrigerator that I love and now I am getting ideas. I also had already replaced all my window treatments and I am slowly doing each room s I learn from this wonderful forum with so many caring and helpful members. I try to help out in other ways by looking up tiles since I am good at Internet research. I have been just renovating the rooms that need it most due to damaged floors or ruined blinds.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

lynn, did you get my email? I replied to your private email last night at 11:40.
    Monica

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Thank you Monica for your links. I just replied. I am having a stressful day with clients finally sending me their documents overnight to finish their deadline on time.

You and Charlikin both have such great taste.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Bumping up this thread for the hope to see updated pics of Charlikin's beautiful new bathroom.

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As requested, here's an updated photo of the bathroom:

{{gwi:1493574}}

Various things wrong in it: they mounted the sink at the wrong height, used the WRONG p-trap under it (I have a beautiful contemporary brushed nickel bottle trap, not this old-fashioned chrome thing that's completely out of character with the room), and installed the handshower slidebar where they felt like it rather than waiting for me to tell them where I wanted it, as instructed. Currently it's too high and too far into the corner to be useful to me. Plus there's still the outstanding issue of having to reframe the medicine cabinet because they were a little ruler-challenged getting their centers straight.

I have lots of extra tile left over for them to do a do-over. :-:

Wait, this isn't the diatribe thread... sorry 'bout that!

With regard to the original subject of *this* thread - I think that issue actually became somewhat of a non-issue. Partly because more important issues usurped it, but also partly because he tiled the *other* outside corner around the shower the same way, and somehow the symmetry helps make the oddly butting bullnose look okay-ish.

I'm just in a choose-your-battles situation here.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Charlikin, I am sorry that things are not going as planned. Contractors are so difficult to deal with. But the tile and design is very pretty and we are all here for you hoping the contractor makes everything right for you. I learned the hard way, that when a contractor does something for me, I have to be right here to make sure they are following the plan. I had problems with a painter which is not the same thing but I wish I had been watching what he was doing since he cut corners and in one room, the paint looks terrible still and must be redone. He also did not paint the boards like I told him to before installing shelves in a closet for me where I was going to keep old files boxed up and some of the spaces are too small. But my dilemma is nothing compared to yours. I would make sure the contractor fixed what he did really wrong that is bothering you most. I knew something was up when new pics did not arrive. Again we are all here for you and the end result will be beautiful despite the very stressful journey to get there. I do not understand why contractors do not listen.

• setancre
    15 years ago

Charlikin, so sorry you're having trouble with all these details. I just wanted to mention that they might not have installed the bottle-type trap because I am pretty sure those are not allowed by code in some places (NYC included).

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WHAT?! No bottle traps in NYC? Are you serious???

Then why the heck did the plumbing supply store sell it to me???

Good grief.