SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Ouch: don't forget the plastic coating on your baffles!

aliris19
12 years ago

My backsplash went in and I decided to celebrate by cleaning the hood for the first time.

Imagine my surprise to discover what I thought at first would be an amazing cleaning-reprieve because all the baffles seemed to be coated with protective plastic; I thought "all" I'd have to do was peel them off. Only it quickly became apparent that getting these things off was going to be far, far worse than just cleaning the grate.

Evidently this Wolf hood shipped with protective plastic that my installer never removed and I never noticed. I've been using this for several weeks resulting in nicely baked-on plastic. I'd just leave it except that's got to be a fire hazard and if not that then a toxic off-gassing one.

But getting the stuff off took a couple hours and worse, my hands got absolutely shredded in the process. They're covered with tiny cuts everywhere and just hurt like crazy. I thought the cuts were so small, as they're invisible, that they'd clear up by next morning, but 48 hours later they're just starting to become tolerable.

So: word of warning, hopefully for the archived record -- check your stainless steel for removable protective coating before using!!!!

Here's a picture of what came off:

I'll spare you a photo of the hands but they were extremely bloody!

Comments (12)