SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurensmom2010

help - bathroom redo decisions 2 parts

laurensmom2010
9 years ago

Help! I have a very small bathroom which had a severe water leak requiring us to replace the vanity, which warped, and a flooring redo.

It has a fiberglass tub surround, almond color, and a 30 inch vanity with a cultured marble almond shell shaped top. Fairly standard for the houses on this street, which are all 80's build.

Originally, we were simply going to put vinyl flooring and a similar vanity and top. A repair, and nothing more. Our house is small and we are nearing retirement age, though not planning on moving..

But flooring guy says tile would be better for resale purposes. Our bathroom is so small, I would like a neutral tile so the space doesn't get overwhelmed. But also not too boring!

BUT - while looking at tile and bathroom ideas for it online I came across some beautiful small bathrooms and now I'm wondering if I should step it up and bring the house out of the 80's and invest in something that would add value.

So need some common sense responses. Is it a good idea for a small bathroom? Worth it?

Part 2- suggestions- for a vanity top. Is cultured marble still ok? Or absolutely not?

The vanity is 30" and I would love to have drawers but since it's so small is that practical? Will whoever installs it even be able to access underneath plumbing if the vanity has drawers in the way?

Suggestions for neutral tile. I was going to only tile the floor but tile guy mentioned partway up the walls and I like the way that looks.

Then I saw a great makeover today and now, WOW, do I want to do something like it!
I'm posting the makeover so you can see how it went. I don't want the black accents though, maybe a cream or brown? I'm not sure if the room is the same size as mine.

Ill post a photo of my second bathroom, which has the same layout. It shows the same fiberglass surround and vanity setup.

So, words of wisdom? Advice? Suggestions?

Thank you!

This post was edited by laurensmom2010 on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 14:41

Comments (14)