SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Trying to learn to speak French

doucanoe
15 years ago

I want to teach myself to speak French. I am able to "get by" when in France, but cannot actually carry on a conversation.

What I would love to do would be to get into a French immersion course, but unfortunately, I do not live in an area where there are any available nearby. The community colleges here teach Spanish and sometimes German, but not much for French.

I have books and tapes, and they have gotten me to the point where I can ask basic "tourist" questions and read menus, etc. But I really want to become conversational.

I now have a goal. My daughter is getting married in July to a young man who is Lebanese. His mother is coming from Beirut for the wedding and she speaks only Arabic and French. So what I really would like to do is to learn enough by July to at least carry on a general conversation with her.

Can anyone recommend a really good program or method or correspondence course that doesn't cost an arm and a leg where I can take what I have and build upon it?

Has anyone here taught themself a foreign language using any of the materials I have described?

I think one of the obstacles I will face is that there are not a lot of people in my area that speak French and therefore no one to practice with or converse with.

Any advice is appreciated....

Linda

Comments (13)