SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goforagallop

Western MA Building: Realistic?

9 years ago

Just looking for some feedback from knowledgable folks before I start wasting the time of the builders around me.

Buying is very expensive in my area. I have the added challenge of needing about 5 acres (horses), which only ups the price. My budget is about $200k, and in my area that will get me either an updated 800sq ft ranch, or a bigger house that hasn't been touched since the 70's and needs a new septic. Options are dismal.

I do have the option to build on family land, so that the land is free.

I have started pricing out modular homes, and cabins from places like Woodtex. I did a little bit of research into timber frame, and quickly realized it's out of my budget. The issue with modular is a severe lack of ability to customize/poor quality materials, and the cabins, even without the log siding, are not quite what I'm looking for.

My issue is that once you add in basements for the modular/cabins, and utilities, all the things that aren't included, etc, they start becoming way more expensive than they initially seem. For a house that's not really particularly what I want.

I want something in the 1600-1800 sq ft range. I am building on old family land in a rural area, and want something with a colonial vibe. Nothing too modern, no ranches, must be two floors. Your standard farmhouse 30x30 box with a porch is FINE. More than fine.

I am also fine with doing some of the work myself. I can lay down a wood floor, and I can tile bathrooms and kitchen backsplashes. Putting up room trim is no big deal, same with painting. What I DON'T want to do is: drywall. Any sort of electrical or plumbing work. Insulation or siding.

Is it even worth anyone's time for me to start talking to traditional stick-built builders? Or am I going to get priced out of the game far too quickly? I am fine doing some of the finishing work myself (as well as doing things with an eye to upgrading in the future), but materials still need to come in under that $200k mark.

Feeling a little discouraged and overwhelmed. I have what is considered a good job, free property, and what feels like a decent budget, and it still feels like I can't afford a house!

Comments (6)