SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azureashe

Master Bath: Shower or Tub and Shower Dilemma

azureashe
13 years ago

Finally considering remodeling the master bath. The current layout only has a small shower surround which, being tall, isn't usable for us. To remedy this, we are going to take room from the walk-in closet and either add a tub and shower or make a large shower. Though we'll still be in the house a number of years, it isn't a house we are going to stay in forever. I'm considering functionality as well as what would give the best resale value.

Ideally, for this bathroom, I would like to make a large, tiled shower with glass doors. Will give the illusion of a larger room, would be clean looking, easy access to the shower and something we would both enjoy. My DH thinks we should go with a tub and shower combo. I would love to have a tub, but the footprint doesn't allow for a separate tub and shower; even with taking the extra room from the closet. For us, the tub and shower would require a shower curtain. An object I loathe and think it will make the already small bath look even smaller. Clearly, my bias is showing. :)

As we'll be doing the work ourselves, we also need to consider cost, ease of installation and making sure we can install everything properly. This is part of DH's argument about going the way of the t/s combo. In terms of resale, I think a large shower would be more desirable and is a better use of space. A t/s combo does exist in the second bathroom; however, the tub size is suited for kids, but there is a tub in the house.

Trying to get opinons on what would be better: the large shower or the tub and shower combo (which you don't seem to see anymore)?

Comments (7)