SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vtpoppy_gw

Tile installer trying to talk me out of pebble

vtpoppy
16 years ago

We have had our hearts set on a river pebble floor for our custom shower. Our contractor has known this and his subcontractor tile installer has known our plans as well. The tile installer started to lay the pebble last week and when I walked in to take a look he started going on and on about what a big mistake we were making, how we are going to regret it, that there is no way the water will drain and unless we mop up after every shower we are going to end up with a big mold problem. He went on to say that NO ONE does pebble on shower floors, that it is very rare, and that he has only done one before ours. I said STOP! I went back to the tile store and the salespeople there said he sounds like he doesn't know what he is doing, that they sell pebble all the time for shower floors, and as long as it is sloped and grouted correctly the water should drain.

We discussed this with our contractor and he said he has been working with this tile installer for 10 years and has never had a problem with his work and he trusts that it will be installed correctly.

So who do we believe? Are we making a big mistake?

Thanks.

Comments (9)