SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

My computer crashed- please help.:(

lsst
14 years ago

In have an HP Pavilion a1010n computer running XP.

I booted it up this morning and it was slow as molasses.

I shut it down and retstarted it. It ran smoother but my printer would not work.

I did the wrong thing and did not shut it down properly and now my computer will not boot at all.

When it starts, I get a black screen with white lettering stating I did not shut it down correctly and asking me which mode I would like to use to boot it. I have tried every mode even safe and it tries to boot but keeps returning to the black page and white letters asking which mode to use to restart the computer.

I hit F10 to use HP recovery and up pops a box stating The section IDA_CREATE_USER_DRIVE_U does not contain a valid dialog template.The HP recovery will not respond beyond this point.

I can not find any of the discs that originally came with the computer.

Can someone please help?

Thank you in advance!

Comments (44)

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, unfortunately that mode will not work either.

• Related Discussions

Computer crashed!!!//To my traders

Q

Comments (1)
    Lisa, I sent you an email :-) Kim
    ...See More

Computer crash deleted favorites

Q

Comments (9)
    Sorry not to nag... computers are not infallible, although we rely on them every day to perform work for us. they are not like a toaster or a can opener. they do have problems and can fail at any time. ALWAYS backup your data, and frequently, there are a few good programs that can make backups easier, store your files on a memory stick, or use an external hard disk, disk is cheap Backup your files weekly, or monthly and every so often take a copy of your data and put it a your safety deposit box. you will save yourself alot of pain when the inevitable happens. sorry for the rant, i'll step down off my soapbox.
    ...See More

i think my computer is about to crash, what should i do?

Q

Comments (9)
    In your initial post you say you have left the computer switched on but it is frozen. Is that the state right now? If so you need to remove the left side panel and look at the fan on the motherboard to see if it is spinning. Perhaps this is as simple as the processor cooling fan quitting. The computer would quit to protect your CPU or processor from overheating. As you have a new computer on order perhaps we can assume this machine is a bit older. After checking the fan mentioned above switch off the computer, remove the power cord from the rear of the case and check the cooling fins underneath that fan. Are they full of dust and dirt? If so a can of compressed air will work wonders, be sure to place a finger on the fan to prevent it spinning wildly as you use the compressed air to remove all that crud. (Do this outside if it is particularly dirty, saves a lot of dusting afterwards) Your data is probably safe because the hard drive is probably still good to go. What ever happens you could use this as a wake up call and back up your data. Also if you have not already done it you should create a set of recovery disks - unless Dell provided them at purchase time of course.
    ...See More

Computer Crashed

Q

Comments (1)
    Is this an eMachine? If so have her shut down then open the left side to see if it has a Bestec power supply in it. These were notorious for failing and often took the motherboard with it. Get a model number from sis, it might help determine if it is a power supply problem.
    ...See More
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

it might help if you can tell us what you mean by
    "I did the wrong thing and did not shut it down properly and now my computer will not boot at all."

what did you do wrong, how did you shut it down?

are you getting any type of message at all other than what you mentioned?

do you have a back up image of your system you could use for recovery? any backups you have done recently?

turn off the pc then try unplugging it totally from all power sources this means also unplugging anything that is plugged into it including router, printer, etc anything that plugs into electricity we want to make sure no power is going to the pc, (do not simply turn it off actually unplug it) on the back of the pc is a toggle switch, switch that to off also.
    Wait about 20 minutes or so to let it reset then start out by plugging in all the items you unplugged from it, wait to turn on the pc last, once everything else is plugged in and running then plug in the pc to the power, next turn that toggle switch on the back of the pc on, now try to boot the pc and see if anything happens.

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for answering!
    In shut it down by turning off the surge protector instead of shutting it down the proper way.
    I have no backups. The recovery is internal-no discs.
    Other than the recovery message I mentioned in the above post, the only screen with directions I am receiving is the black screen with white letters that states: Sorry for the inconvenience your computer was not shut down properly.
    Pleas choose what mode you would like the computer to use to start. ( I am doing that from memory but that is the jest of the message.)
    I will do as you suggest and disconnect everything.
    Thank you again.

• zep516
    14 years ago

You will be lucky to get it going again sounds like a corrupted windows registry from incorrect shut down.

"Please choose what mode you would like the computer to use to start."

Choose safe mode see if starts in that mode, see if it starts in any mode!!!!!

All else fails you mat be able to get recovery disks from HP you would need to contact them, not sure how old the computer is

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

if all else fails you could use a linux live cd to possible go in and get your data so that you do not lose it all. If you do not have a linux live cd you can usually find them in the linux magazines at bookstores but here are some links to help you in that effort.

Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer
    Geek to Live: Rescue files with a boot CD
    Trinity Rescue Kit

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It will not start in any mode.
    The computer is 5 years old. The main thing I want to retrieve
    is photos.
    If I were to buy a new computer could the old hard drive files with my photos be transferred to the new computer or would the HD be too far gone?
    ravencajun, thanks for the links.

• owbist
    14 years ago

When you turn this computer on do you hear the POST beep?
    Is there just one beep?
    If more, how many?
    Does the activity light on the front of the tower come on after the POST beep indicating the hard drive has started to spin?

What type of computer are you using to report here? If this is a desktop computer you can easily remove the hard drive from the problem machine and slave it to the computer you are now using. Then you have the choice of copying any or all data from that drive to the computer you are using or you can burn it to CD or save it to thumb or external drives if you have those.

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The computer I am using right now is my laptop. It is an Acer Aspire 4730Z.
    I bought the laptop back in the spring and am so glad I did.
    My HP pavilion desktop does beep and the activity light does come on.
    The computer tries to start up and go through the normal stages and then the black screen with the white letters appears and the computer can not get beyond that stage.
    I will turn on the desktop and count the number of beeps I hear as it tries to start up.

I appreciate all the help.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

The problem you are having most likely does not have anything to do with damage to your hard drive which would make data recovery impossible. If you got a new computer and removed the old hard drive, you could hook it up to the new one or have it installed as a secondary drive and probably salvage everything off of it. When you get this problem fixed, make a resolution to always back up any file/photo you can't afford to lose...

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am sorry to be so ignorant about computers but what do I need to purchase to hook the old HD to a new computer?

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

If you mostly want to retrieve the files, you can pull the drive and put it in an external enclosure. You can get one of these for about $15 if you shop around. Just make sure you get the right kind. For a 5 year old computer, it's probably IDE (sometimes called ATA), but not SATA. You can then connect the drive to your laptop and get files off of it.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

have you tried the power down sequence?

if the hard drive has not failed I would do what bpgreen suggested and buy a usb connect hard drive enclosure to slap that drive in, then you can just plug it into the usb port of another computer and access it. You must know the type of drive as was mentioned. here is what we are talking about.
    Reincarnate Your IDE Hard Drives as USB External Hard Drives

now you can buy external enclosures that will handle any type of hard drive whether it be IDE or SATA, like this one, so be sure what type you have and what type you need or go for one of these that will take any type.
    Sabrent ECS-STU35K Hard Drive Enlcosure - 3.5" IDE/SATA to USB 2.0, eSATA

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

another option I don't see mentioned often, maybe because it is newer, is the use of a hard drive dock or toaster, no enclosure needed just drop the drive in to the dock.
    Hard Drive Docks
    INFO:
    "Hard Drive Docks (Toasters)
    An incredibly simple, yet functional new product category emerged in 2008: Hard Drive Toasters (Hard Drive Docks). This device lets you plug in regular internal hard drives as though they were pop-in flash drives. You drop in your hard drive, and the dock instantly gives your system access to that drive, without wiring, or power connections - it's all done by the hard drive toaster. This way you can use any compatible hard drive as an external removable hard drive for backup purposes!"

it is a great alternative for those that have multiple drives they have to use, especially if you work on computers. And you have little to no heat issues

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will look into everything suggested!

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How do I know if my HD is 2.5 or 3.5?
    I looked up the specs for my computer on the internet but could not find anything on if it is a 2.5, 3.5 or a different size.
    Thanks!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

Belarc run this tool to find out all the info about your computer

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ravencajun,
    In did as you suggested and disconnected everything and did the toggle. The computer still tries to start but I still get the black screen with the mode selection.

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

I like the looks of those hard drive docks. They remind me of those Eagle nest devices from years ago(except that they're external).

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For Belarc, do I have to download it on the computer in which I want to find the info? Can I download it on my Acer lap top and find info out about my Pavilion desktop hard drive?
    I called HP support to ask them about whether the HD is 2.5 or 3.5.
    They did not know.:(
    I appreciate everyone's patience with me and my many questions.

• grandms
    14 years ago

What is the model of your HP desktop? Mine is 3.5" and my laptop is 2.5". I don't know if this is the common size for them or not? I would think by Googling the model number, you could find out lots of information. My HP desktop is 4 years old and its drive is SATA. If you have your original documentation, all that information should be there.

• zep516
    14 years ago

"The computer still tries to start but I still get the black screen with the mode selection".

SELECT SAFE MODE----> use the arrow keys to scroll to safe mode then hit enter on key board let us know if you get that far.. if you do we can try a system restore at that point.

Your drive is probably a 3.5 if it's a desk top, 2.5's usually in laptops.

No belarc will not work that way it will only provide information it's installed on

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks,
    It is an HP pavilion a1010n desktop.
    I can not get it to start in any mode. The screen offers normal, safe, command, network, and last configuration that worked mode. No matter which one I select, it tries to start and I get the blue windows screen and then the black screen with the white letters asking what mode I would like to start it in. Unless I turn it off, it will cycle like this for hours.

• zep516
    14 years ago

Sorry I was not sure if you were selecting a mode, carry on with hard drive instructions then...

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

I am sorry I was having a brain nap moment when I suggested to use belarc on the pc that you can not boot LOL

I like to recommend belarc be run on every pc and a print out made so that anytime you need to refer back to it for any info that you may not be able to access later. So if you have other computers including laptop keep the link handy and do a print out and file it. I do an update print out on mine on occasion so it shows any new stuff added since the last time I ran it.

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I tried to start it up again and hit F8 to advanced settings. I was able to stop the rebooting cycle and I received an error screen with Unmountable_Boot_Volume.
    Does that help in diagnosing the problem?
    Thanks!

• zep516
    14 years ago

Pretty much what we have been saying your hard drive is failed or you have a corrupted registry

1.The file system is damaged and cannot be mounted.

Here is a link that might be useful: support.microsoft

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will try to find my windows xp cd and follow the instructions on the microsoft website.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" error message

do you happen to have an xp cd you could put in and try a repair (R) option? you would be booting it from the cd.

I would suggest you read through these posts on daniweb, they seem to be having success with this problem.
    Unmountable_boot_volume

• zep516
    14 years ago

ravencajun, user has no disk....

"I can not find any of the discs that originally came with the computer."

You could borrow an xp disk from some you know an try it that is if it's a file problem, if it's a hard drive issue then the disk of course will not fix that

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My father's computer has Windows XP.
    I will ask him if he has the CD.
    Thanks!

• zep516
    14 years ago

Remember you will need an xp cd not a recovery cd often supplied with the purchase of a computer.

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks zep.
    I am having no luck acquiring an xp cd.
    My father has the same model computer as I and he mentioned an xp install cd did not come with the computer.

• zep516
    14 years ago

With out any disks I don't know what to tell you as I said before maybe it's possible to contact HP and get the recovery disks somehow..

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

take a look at this link at the HPsite for your model it mentions how to use the recovery and how to get the discs
    Using the HP recovery process to restore all drivers and software

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ravencajun!
    I am confused though....Do I need the recovery discs or the install discs?

Thanks!

• zep516
    14 years ago

It's probably going to be best for you to take the computer in for repair.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

you may want to think about how much you want to spend on that pc, it is a celeron processor and not a lot of ram if it is as it came. I personally would not put much money into it. I think I would try to salvage what I can off the drive if that is possible. It will likely be expensive if you take it in for repair.

• owbist
    14 years ago

I agree with Raven here, I would not be taking a Celeron computer in for repair. That might well cost half the price of a new computer.

You don't have a friend, neighbour or relative who might loan you their Windows XP CD? Explain to them that you do not need the license number as your license sticker on the side of the computer case is the one you would enter as you install XP. That sticker number is tied to the motherboard in your computer. (I suspect that if you have XP Home then you would need an XP Home CD)

Recovery disks are bought at the time of the computer purchase. Or this is more often just a separate partition on your hard drive and the buyer should create a set of recovery disks. This includes all the 'free' extras the computer maker adds on.

The XP CD is just that, a copy of Windows XP with nothing added

As a side note you may want to suggest to Dad that he creates a set of recovery disks for his machine in case he runs into problems too at some future point.

• lsst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a couple of other people I can ask.
    My husband is going to ask a couple of people that are in the computer dept. at his work.
    I have learned my lesson and will start to back up everything from now on.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

always a good idea to have backups and always make the copy of the recovery area that comes on new computers, having those burned to discs is something that can definitely be an essential tool in these cases, with them you can try to put the pc back to the factory settings, means lots of updates and stuff but at least you do have a recovery option.

Getting an imaging program and creating full images of your entire system really is about the best way to go these days.
    There is even a free program available to do that for those that do not want to buy programs like Acronis True Image.
    DriveImage XML

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

Ravencajun,
    Thanks for the link for DriveImage XML. I have downloaded and installed it. I hope that if the time comes that I have to use it I will be prepared.

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

"I have downloaded and installed it. I hope that if the time comes that I have to use it I will be prepared."

Have you also used it to make a backup? If not, you won't be able to use it when you need it. In order to restore an image, you have to create it.

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

I will be making a backup this weekend bpgreen. Right now I have my grandson and I never attempt any computer work of any kind while he is here. He will be leaving Fri afternoon to spend the weekend at his dad's place so I will have the peace and quiet I need to attempt doing computer work