SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenyang

Newbie intro - nice to meet you -

karenyang
16 years ago

Hello ~

I've been a member of GardenWeb since, oh, since before GardenWeb was iVillage and was just getting going, y'know? GW and its fabulously knowledgeable gardeners helped with my landscaping and gardening fun, but I never thought to visit the "Home" side of GW until just recently - all I can say is, WOW, I'm *really* happy to be here!

My DH and I (and our 2 shiba inus, no kids) live in the SF Bay Area, on (what will seem to most of you, from what I gather from my reading over the past couple of weeks) a paltry 1/4 acre. Our current house is 55 or so years old, perfectly cute and functional, 1550 sq ft, but it's not the house we want to live in (nor does it allow us to live how we want to live), so we're scraping it to the dirt and building a brand new house. Exciting! Terrifying! Exciting! Insane! Exciting!

We've hired a wonderful architect who seems to totally get our Craftsman-inspired-but-sometimes-cottage-or-farmhouse-tendancies. Land survey is done (waiting for report). Soils test is done (also waiting for survey report - we're already not happy with our survey guy, but we're almost done w/him). Now just hanging out, learning about the process and trying to not stress out while we all (say it together now)- wait for the surveyor's report - so our architect can get to drawing.

We're waffling between DH acting as developer/GC and hiring a real GC. Leaning hard towards the latter. Good, reliable subcontractors in the Bay Area, like most places, I imagine, are hard to find, and we're guessing they're not going to be too excited about working for a newbie. (DH has built plenty of horse barns in his lifetime, but no houses).

I expect we'll be posting lots of questions here over the next year and a half or more. Thanks to everyone who posts and adds knowledge to these boards - I can't believe what I've picked up in just two weeks of evening reading!

Is anyone else just in the beginning phases of their build?

In any case, just wanted to say HI and introduce myself as you'll be seeing my (potentially very ridiculous but I do try to research before asking...) questions shortly!

Cheers -

Karen (gerberadaisy)

Comments (21)