SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sierrahh

Delivery Delays

12 years ago

August 12th I ordered a BlueStar Rangetop. My first call to the appliance store I was told 2-3 week delivery. Then it became 4 weeks, then 4-6 weeks. Now at 6 1/2 weeks the dealer finally told me that the Southern California distributor is holding shipments until it has a full truck. He's going to see if he can liberate my rangetop and get it up here.

Okay, I understand fuel and labor costs, and maybe there aren't that many sales of BlueStar in Northern California. I can tell BS for sure that there won't be many more if they won't/can't deliver their product. There must be other alternatives to arrange for a 350 mile delivery after a product has traveled all the way cross the U.S.

I told the dealer that disappointing news is better than no news at all. The phone sales rep told me two weeks ago that BlueStar was slow because I need a "high altitude" setting (6,000 ft elev.) This morning when I called for a status he said he'd call back in ten minutes. Instead he emailed at 2:30 that I needed to talk to the owner. When all is said and done, a session on customer service will be in order.

For my order of 20+ Windsor windows we were lucky that another large order was leaving Wisconsin at the same time, so they arrived quickly. The De Wilz cabinets from Vancouver, Washington had to wait for another shipment to be consolidated before they would send them on their way--a six week wait.

I understand the increased cost of gas and the economic times. If the cost of delivery is going to break a company, though, I want to know about it, and I want the choice to deal with someone more solvent.

The problem is for an appliance they want your money up-front to place the order. Then there is no incentive to be timely, because there is no balance to withhold until satisfaction.

Honestly, with the lack of communication from this dealer and the avoidant behavior of the salesman, I was doubting whether this appliance store might not even be going out of business. A customer should never have to doubt the integrity of the seller, especially if the seller wants continued business in the future. Were I the dealer I would seriously question whether I wanted to work with a product line whose distributor can't provide reliable delivery.

I hope not to be renovating my kitchen again for a long time. And I sure hope the BlueStar Rangetop is worth the wait.

Maybe I'll put a big beautiful bouquet in the empty space in the cabinet in meantime. Of course, the template for the countertop can't be cut until the cooktop arrives ...

Comments (17)