SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxyplx

Uninstasll IE7 B4 Installing IE8 retract/correct/whatever :-(

mxyplx
13 years ago

Well I musta membered rong.

I reviewed my post from last May 28 about struggling with SP3/DotNet install. I recalled removing IE7 prior to installing IE8 but what happened was I had to start over a couple times with the SP3 rigamaroll and that included removing IE8 a couple times because it had to be installed (I think) AFTER the SP3 or the Dot Net. Something like that anyway.

Actually I never did have IE7 as I blocked it in the registry. That had to be unblocked among many other registry blocks before the SP3/dotnet would "take". On the final update of that whole bloody mess I was offered IE7 or IE8 and went directly to the IE8 from IE6.

Since the IE6 was never removed the Favorites remained intact. Not only that they were all exported/duplicated in another browser anyway. My impression is the IE6 is bundled into W/XP anyway and cannot be merely uninstalled and if that is so than losing the favorites could not happen due to uninstalling IE7 or IE8.

Sorry about that.

Comments (2)

• zep516
    13 years ago

Nothing to be sorry for

I can certainly understand how anyone could be confused. Myself included.

My remarks in the other post were uncalled for!

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

All's well that ends well.

I thought v6.0 was the first version compliant with the federal anti-trust law suit agreement that IE could be removed sucessfully from Windows. Again dusting off an old brain cell or two, wasn't it at this time the creation of the Microsoft update site came into existence as an alternative to the on-board Windows update utility configured through IE? This of course being done so users could update Windows without being mandated to retain IE.

DA