SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

McAfee questions and other Anti-Virus questions

lynnalexandra
15 years ago

Currently I am getting whatever version of McAfee Security Center special edition from AOL (it's free with my AOL). I see firewall and other antivirus and antispyware sections, but did not see anything called McAfee Site Advisor. Is that something I should download separately? Is anyone familiar with this special edition of McAfee and if so, is it a good antivirus program?

I just saw that their security suite was rated highly by consumer reports (although I know that their reports aren't always to be trusted). Before I saw that, I was feeling as though McAfee was a big pain. It seemed to try to stop too many programs - although that may be getting better now that I know to either select allow this one time access (or change my firewall to allow that program access to the internet).

Should I stick with McAfee? Are there problems with McAfee (maybe compatibility with other programs?) that people know of. For some reason, I thought a while back that I'd seen posts here where people didn't like McAfee.

I was very close to getting AVG free and uninstalling McAfee.

Also, for some reason, my daughter's computer (which was mine until January) does computer checkups and constantly says there's a problem that there's no antivirus. She uses her own email address on my AOL account so I don't know why her computer is seeming not to recognize that McAfee is there. Do I need to check something to see if it is being blocked from updating. I thought since it's all under my AOL account that it would be updating and checking on her computer as well.

If I do get McAfee Site Advisor, and I'm going to try Firefox as well as keeping my IE, should I download both versions of Site Advisor. Will they know what to do and which version to use for which browser or will I have to set something up to allow them each to work properly for the appropriate browser.

(Okay - it's a separate question. Should I download Firefox 3 or an earlier version).

And finally - another question for my husband's laptop. He had Trend Micro suite which has expired. (I just set up his firewall to allow it to update - BUT - should he update for about $50- or should he get a different - maybe free- antivirus. He has a Toshiba laptop - core duo processor, Vista home edition.) I don't think he can get my free McAfee unless we load my AOL on his computer - would that be a good idea? I have already installed and run ccleaner and superantispyware on his computer - but I wasn't sure what to do for antivirus).

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (7)