SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grandms

Another problem involving McAfee

grandms
15 years ago

I have a friend who has a McAfee program that includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-phishing, and firewall. She is running Vista Home Basic and is on a very slow dialup. She has scanned with her McAfee AV and it finds nothing, however, there is an icon in her tray that constantly goes round and round (I have XP so I'm not up to date on Vista terminology). It indicates it is downloading something (updates?), but it never gets past about 76% and then starts over again at 0%. I am going to her house this week to try to help her, and I'm wondering if the problem is either of two different things: perhaps her dialup is so slow that the McAfee update just can't ever finish. However, she does have her Microsoft updates. I plan to take my Verizon air card and router and hook up to her computer via ethernet and see if we can get the download to finish on a fast hookup.

OR, is it possible that she has some sort of malware that is preventing her McAfee from operating properly. Belarc says that her AV protection is up to date, yet in the McAfee program itself, it says she is not protected.

So what should I do first after I get her online with a fast connection? Run Malwarebytes, or attempt to let the McAfee do its thing and finish the download? She has already uninstalled and re-installed the McAfee, and I understand there is a limit to the number of times this can be done. She has contacted McAfee and the tech told her there is no reason a download should continue and never finish. Yes, she has left her computer on all night, and it never finished. I am hoping I can help her. I know what I'd do if it were my computer, but since it isn't-----

Comments (4)